“Lovely B and B” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 27 Jefferson B&B and Inns
UK
“Lovely B and B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We just turned up here one night in July (2011) on our road trip round Texas, from our lonely planet travel guide recommendation. There was a room available, fortunately, so we were able to stay. The owner was lovely and cooked a fantastic breakfast the next morning. He also sat with us and chatted while we ate. We are not normally a fan of this sort of thing, but it was very interesting to talk to someone local and find out so much about Texas that we didn't know (we are from the UK). He was very knowledgable and bright, and it was great to find out the ins and outs of small town America. We would never have got that in a Best Western!

Our room was lovely (we were shown all the rooms and could choose the one we wanted) with a nice hot shower. You can also help yourself to the booze and fruit juices - never had that before in a B and B - really nice touch! We had brought our own beers, but after 4 hours in the car in Texas in July were rather warm....... Good location - nice and quiet end of town, but an easy walk in the evening for dinner. Would highly recommend this B and B.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This B and B was nice, as mentioned by other travellers. Loved the house and the location was nice. The food was outstanding. One day we had blueberry french toast, an apple dumpling, champagne eggs and sausage. The next day was good as well. The 'snacks' they set out at night were fab - pies, peanut brittle, fudge and trash mix. Not sure if that is normal or just because they had alot left from Thanksgiving. The place had a little deferred maintenance in places, but it was very clean and innkeepers were friendly. They had decorated for Christmas - almost to the point of too much stuff and I was feeling claustrophobic! Other than that, I would recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We stayed here on our first getaway since having our first child and found it to be completely charming and just what we needed. We stayed in the Quilt Room which was very spacious and on the first floor near the dining area. While the house and cottage both were almost full, very rarely did we hear other guests or the owners and in fact napped quite soundly without any interruptions at all one afternoon. The breakfasts were amazing! And in between our walks to the Main Street area it was nice to grab a homemade snack or drink that they leave out for all guests. The owners are very laid back which we found refreshing! We'd love to stay here again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Reserved Garden Gable Suites complete with his and hers antique claw-foot tubs. Reservations were made along with an edible surprise of chocolate covered strawberries. Upon our arrival no strawberries. The Inn Keeper said they no longer offered this service and blamed the Internet for the confusion. The bathroom in our suite needed much attention. The water pressure was low, therefore it took a while before the tubs were half full and by this time the water was warm. There was not enough hot water to rewarm the baths. Fixtures had been removed from both tubs and new fixtures were installed at the top of each. One of the tubs still had the holes exposed from the original fixture position. The tub could only hold a small portion of water or the water poured out of the three holes onto the wood floor when one attempted to lay down. A rather large leak appeared above one of the sinks and was quite an eye-sore. The mattress was very soft therefore we both had a sleepless night.

We addressed our issues to the Inn Keeper he had an answer/excuse andwas not aware of these problems. He commented he had installed a new 50-gallon water heater. This is not enough water capacity for one room with two tubs.

The property is nice but needs some attention.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Sanger, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

We stayed at McKay's house Nov. 24th -27th their Thanksgiving dinner offer was what attracted us. I decided to have my family go out of town somewhere other than stay home to celebrate Thanksgiving. We found McKay's house that was offering a Thanksgiving dinner with the stay. I looked at the review from this site as well as others and decided that this was where my family should go. IMy family was not disappointed at all with our stay. I was disappointed that they were so popular that they did not have room for our daughter and her friend but Hugh recommended another BnB. My husband had never been to a BnB before and he was so wasn't sure if this would be a good idea but he was gamed and said, Let's pack up and go." Needles to say he was very pleased with the experience and the service. We had such a relaxing time. The shopping and the events in Jefferson were a great experience too but the treats and the food at the McKay's house were amazing. My husband couldn't stop talking about it when we got back home. He shared our Thanksgiving trip with everyone back home. Darla and Hugh were also nice enough to get a tin container of goodies together for our daughter and her friend that had to stay at another BnB. My daughter couldn't get enough. These extras just added to what was already a wonderful experience and stay at the McKay's house. I just hope my husband and daughter remembered to leave a Darla a big tip!!
We are most defintely returning to the McKay's house on our next outing.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the McKay House several times. My cousin and her husband have also stayed at the McKay House. Each visit is better than the last, and we can't wait to visit again. We like the Lady Bird Johnson room with its beautiful canopy bed. The innkeepers, Hugh and Darla, are friendly. The food is delicious. The house is beautifully furnished, clean and well-maintained. If you are visiting Jefferson, Texas, I encourage you to stay at the McKay House.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

I booked , in September a stay at the Mckay House for Thanksgiving because of an advertised Thanksgiving Dinner with a stay at the Mckay House. I then read the Trip Advisor reviews that all mentioned such positive experiences at this establishment.
I corresponded with the owner, at least 6 times, in which he offered me either 2 rooms or a connecting room in case my husband could come. I responded to his email requiring a credit card deposit with my credit card, address and telephone information to confirm a 2 night stay with dinner and breakfasts. I reconfirmed several times up until the day before the stay, in which he told me what time to arrive. When I arrived, with my 11 year old child, we were told that our rooms were booked and he kindly sent us to another Inn with a basket of cookies. He charged my credit card for the price of the original booking at his Inn, and was to pay for the other Inn himself from my charges.
He allowed us to eat Thanksgiving and also a breakfast at my request.
The owner did apologize, he also mentioned that it was my fault that I did not book through a central system, although he did ask me to email him my credit card number and contact information and never mentioned the system. The owner, Hugh, decided that we were easier to move rather than the 3 other separate bookings he had made after us.
He had some earlier problems with overbooking, but fortunately for those people, they had space. Fortunately for us, there was a room in this small town, and we did not have to make a long drive back to home.
I do not recommend the Mckay House because, a simple daily schedule would have prevented an overbooking, a check for my name when I emailed 2 times in the day preceding my arrival would have also corrected the mistake before I arrived.
We possibly did not get our reservation honored due to either financial gains over our reservation or from booking friends to take our spot.
We should have had our reservation honored as first come first serve, but it did not work out that way. The other Inn was fine, but did not offer the little extras that are advertised with this Inn, and the extras were what I was looking for in this situation.
To make the situation worse, they have taken my complaint and have removed it in an attempt to keep it out of the press rather than honestly admit that they were at fault and that they plan to improve on this.
I made the best time as possible out of this misfortune, their cooking and snacks were good, they try very hard to add the special touches, and the rooms, and home looked very pretty.
However, they do have an antiquated method of reservations, at least in my case. They also have a problem with any complaints. If you book a stay at Mckay House, double check that you have a room before you arrive.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to McKay House Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!