“Quiet” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 28 Restaurants in Jefferson
Cuisines: American, French, Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in a 1890's home. White tablecloths and silverplate flatware. Menu changes seasonally with daily specials.
London, United Kingdom
“Quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Sadly we were one of only two couples rattling around in this big old restaurant the night we ate there. The steaks were very good and I should imagine this would be great with a buzzy crowd in. Not cheap, but the quality was there and there are fairly slim pickings in Jefferson.

Visited December 2013
AggieLonghornDad, Owner at Stillwater Inn, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for choosing to dine with us. I am glad that you were pleased with your dinner. I realize that part of the fun in going out for dinner is the element of theater. I believe the evening you came was the night before New Years Eve, which may have been part of the reason for the quiet evening.
Such is life in a small East Texas town. I do appreciate your referring to our restaurant as old. Coming from London, where old can be ancient, I think you have given our 30 years in business a modicum of established respectability.

“Ok...but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

The food and service were good but the value was missing. Scampi shrimp (5) with french fries for $22 is a little out of line. My wife had a small scoop of spinach and sweet potatoes for $10.50.
The service level was good.
I judge restaurants by, do I want to go back the next night. Stillwater fails my test.

Visited December 2013
Sorry we did not meet your criteria for a return visit. We post the menu outside the front door with the expectation that our patrons will make informed decisions. Our portions are intended as individual entrées, but some do share an entrée. To hear our servings referred to as scoops, is to associate our restaurant with what one might expect from a cafeteria line. I think you came to he wrong restaurant.
Arlington, Texas
“Never waited for a meal this long”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visited Stillwater Inn on a Friday night at about 6:30 p.m. after a long drive in from Fort Worth. We noticed when we came in that there were was only one other couple in the restaurant but since I'd read good reviews on Trip Advisor I wasn't too concerned. My husband and I both wanted a Sauvignon Blanc wine with dinner and asked for a wine list. There was only one offered at a per glass rate which I thought was a bit odd but fortunately it was a good wine so that was fine. Our waitress brought us bread right away and took our order and we thought we were set. Boy were we wrong. Initially it was nice just enjoying the evening with a nice glass of wine and some good bread and a quiet dining room, but after a while, you know you just want your dinner! But you wait, and you wait and you wait and your dinner doesn't come. And you gotta wonder, what's taking so long? Especially when nobody else is in the restaurant! After 45 minutes, yes, 45 minutes, I finally got up and asked the manager (because the waitress never bothered to come over and keep us up to date) what was taking so long? She said she'd check and then came over and told us they were plating it right now, which wasn't exactly correct since it took another 10 minutes or so for the food to actually come out. Once the food came out, it was good. But 45 minutes? That's too long folks in my book. The waitress never apologized, the manager never apologized, there was never an adjustment to our bill, no free dessert by way of an apology, nothing. Sorry, that's no way to get me to come back to your restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
AggieLonghornDad, Owner at Stillwater Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing to dine with us. The 45 minute duration was a bit long, but everything is cooked to order, and the pork tenderloin takes at least 30 minutes to cook, then it should rest a few minutes to allow the juices to redistribute. Inasmuch as you did not have an appetizer or salad, I understand the stomach growling. It was my understanding that you were told that there would be a wait while the pork was prepared. I apologize if you were not so advised.
We do include vegetables with the entrees but choice of salad or not, is up to you. I'm glad that you enjoyed the baguette and glass of wine while you waited. I do hope you will try us again as there seemed to be other aspects about the restaurant that you enjoyed. You are welcome to call ahead with your order.
Longview, Texas, United States
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I can remember our first meal here in 1999. We have been back innumerable times. The food is always fabulous, and the drinks match. The service is impeccable. The owners, Bill and Sharon, are the nicest, most friendly people, and as the evening gets late, they frequently wander about to the different tables to visit. It always feels like you're having dinner with your family.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our second time to visit. This time we brought our teenage daughter and she loved it as much as we do. A real fine dining experience which is hard to find in Eadt Texas. We will never visit Jefferson without a meal at Stillwater Inn.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Stillwater Inn? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Stillwater Inn, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.