“Food is Great - Smoke is a downside” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night
Houston, Texas
“Food is Great - Smoke is a downside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We visited this place on our way back home from vacation. The building is huge and you can tell it holds a lot of local stories and history. We visited after the local lunch hour so it was not crowded. I can imagine it must hold a big Friday and Saturday night party crowd. Our wait staff got us seated qucikly and drink order placed & served quickly. Then you need to "set for a spell". I ordered a shrimp bisque which took about 15 minutes to come to the table and the cup was just half full and was more of a stew. For what I did get, it was very delicious and had whole shrimp for every bite. Entrees came about 20 minutes later. All of our entrees were Southern comfort favorites and were fresh made. I am from Houston where smoke is banned from all public places so the multiple smokers in the place were a downside. I would come back to this place next year when passing through but I hope TX legislature passes a no-smoking bill in public places in 2015. (Please) I have to reccommend that families with young children not come here because of the cigarette smoke atmosphere.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Kemah, Texas
“Smokey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Food was excellent. I got the chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and fried okra. I ordered a dinner salad to start with but it didn't come until the main dishes arrived, which was a little disappointing. Also since it's a bar people were allowed to smoke anywhere, so there was a man smoking right next to us and it was bothersome.

Colleyville, Texas
“Food was great but the atmosphere was smokey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I guess I should have known when I walked in and saw the big bar at the front it would be a bar. I'm not used to that from the Dallas area. Most places that serve food are non-smoking. The food was great. Fun stuff to look at on the walls. If I visited I might go there for lunch again.

Longview, Texas
“I keep coming back.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Auntie Skinner's has a lot of good memories for me. I don't usually go to restaurants where smoking is prevalent but I have learned if you pick your time, it's not so bad. Not only that, the staff is courteous and efficient and the kitchen produces some great food.

The chef will be inventive if you have a reasonable request. The last couple of time I ask for their jalapeno pimiento cheese samich grilled with a strip of crispy bacon. It is great! Try it.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Denton, Texas
“Bad food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We ordered chicken fingers and chicken fried steak. Both dinners were greasy and tasted burnt from the oil being to hot.