“I Can No Longer Trust These People” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Historic Jefferson Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jefferson
The Historic Jefferson Hotel
You added The Historic Jefferson Hotel to your Saves list
124 West Austin Street, Jefferson, TX 75657   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Jefferson
Longview
“I Can No Longer Trust These People”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I have stayed at the Hotel Jefferson many times over the past few years and have never had an issue until now. For the last 3 Mardi Gras weekends and last 2 Pilgammage weekends we have had reservations. The process has always been the same so it isn’t like we don’t know the drill. Last year when we left on Sunday at Pilgrammage we talked to the hotel employee that we always go through to make sure we were down for this year. We stayed there several times during the year and continued to verify that we were still booked for Mardi Gras and Pilgrammage. We got our normal call about 3 weeks before Mardi Gras and confirmed that we were still coming and told the lady she could charge the card on file, just as we always do. Everything went fine at Mardi Gras, and before leaving we asked again about Pilgrammage and she again told us the process would be the same….that they would call and charge our card a couple of weeks before. Last week we had not gotten a call so I called the hotel and spoke to the same person we have dealt with for the last couple of years. This time she looked and said we no longer had our room! I thought at first she was joking but soon found out she was serious. I asked what had gone wrong and she told me another employee had “messed up some reservations which is one reason why she no longer works here”. She told me she knew we had that room and was certain that the manager would fix the problem when she came in later. I got a call from the manager saying first that we never had the room reserved, then changed it to it was reserved but I should have verified it the year before, then that I must not have paid my deposit so she cancelled my reservation. I refuted each of these claims one by one, telling her when I had done each one, including telling her employee she could charge my card whenever it was time. (The hotel charges the card on file….the renter does not actually make a payment. The manager seems to not understand her own process) Then she told me they don’t have standing reservations for Pilgrammage weekend, although for the previous 2 years we did and went through the usual process described above. At first she told me that she was the manager and made the decisions, but later changed that as well and said that the owner had told her not to fix the problem or give us the room we had reserved. I asked to talk to the owner and she said I could not do that but could send an email to the hotel and she would see that he got it. I did and have not received any response. I am thankful that at least one of their employees was up front and told me what really happened and hope she doesn’t lose her job for telling me. But I can no longer trust these people to treat their customers the right way. I have recommended this hotel to many friends, neighbors, relatives, coworkers, etc., but will no longer do so. They could have easily fixed this but chose not to. I am still hoping to get to speak with the owner and hear his reason for letting this happen, and will post here if he contacts me.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I have been coming to Jefferson for the annual historic pilgrimage and Civil War Reenactment for a decade. We have always found the hotel to be a refreshing trip into bygone eras. We have never gotten one of the rooms that were famously haunted. Last year we stayed, and on Saturday night, I woke up several times to a squeaking sound which I thought was someone going down the hall. In the morning I told my wife who had slept soundly all night long. I got up and later sat down in the wicker chair in the corner. When I moved it sounded just like the sound I heard during the night. It may have been just a coincidence, but the hallways do not squeak. Nonetheless, it was a very unique and mysterious experience. My wife and I love that hotel, and would like to go there every year.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Terrell, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great historic place to stay in Jefferson, TX. We were looking for a place to visit for our anniversary. We spent 2 nights in Room 25 and enjoyed the "old atmosphere". Unfortunately, the hotel restaurant was not open but other good places are in walking distance. We will do a return visit to this historical place again.

Room Tip: Room 25 was good. Downstairs and close to the front. Outside noise was not a problem.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

We stayed in Room #10 and it was a lovely room. I do think that it was under staff at this time. We go every year for our Anniversary and will continue to go there. Nice lady at front desk. I loved the park and new walking path behind the hotel. It was very nice to be able to walk the small town and return to the room.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2015

My family had plan to visit the hotel on January 2,2015 but on January 1st we where involved in a head on collision. Our car was totalled and I broke my hand. So we called and ask if we could cancel our reservation or use it a different time. We where told no, the cancelation policy was what it was and they would be charged for the night. Before I could ask to speak to a manger she hung up. I have called to get something in writing but have yet to see anything.
Not the best customer service.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2015

One would stay here for the charm and historical past. It is clean with friendly staff and the location is great. Walking distance to quite a few restaurants, shops, etc. A nice small town feel. A little gem for its age.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2015

My husband surprised me for our first trip to Jefferson, Texas. We have returned many times since that first trip. That first time we stayed and The Historic Jefferson Hotel - he had read about how haunted it was and thought it would be fun! We stayed in the room at the top of the grand staircase. A general hotel overview. The hotel has been beautifully restored while keeping original elements and charm. The lobby area is reminiscent of times passed. It is elegant without being overbearing. Adjacent to the lobby is "Lamanche's" a wonderful but pricey Italian restaurant. They have rooms downstairs in the back of the hotel - not sure about those, we never ventured back there. The grand staircase has a beautiful worn wood banister that is carefully polished every day. The carpet is a bit worn, but in the right way. The rooms take you back in time. They are very clean, quite charming actually. Our room ha an attached bath with a claw foot tub - personally I was in heaven just soaking in a bubble bath with a nice glass of a French Malbec. When we arrived the staff brought us a yummy platter of meat, cheese and fruit. The staff in the hotel is very friendly and quite helpful. All in all a wonderful place to stay. The hotel is said to be haunted by various characters from the past. Many people claim to have been privileged to have been visited by "spirits" while in the hotel. Incidentally, Jefferson is said to be the most haunted town in Texas. Well worth a weekend get-a-way!! There are a number of varied restaurants from a Dive Diner to a Wine Bar. The attractions are just part of this little East Texas town. We call Jefferson our Run away and Relax spot!!

Room Tip: Room 19 is said to be the most haunted
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Historic Jefferson Hotel? Share your experiences!