“Room 19 - Not Haunted” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Historic Jefferson Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jefferson
The Historic Jefferson Hotel
You added The Historic Jefferson Hotel to your Saves list
124 West Austin Street, Jefferson, TX 75657   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Jefferson
Houston, Texas
“Room 19 - Not Haunted”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

TIPS - Texas Investigators of the Paranormal and Supernatural investigated this room and didn't come up with ANYTHING. Previous reports of the mirrors having hidden messages - had no message. Reports of the bathtub mysteriously filling - Bathtub will fill up because its very hard to turn off water. When water drips it will auto-close the stopper on the bottom of the tub. We had entire room monitored and bugged and didn't capture anything all night. Very nice historic hotel though. We are planning on investigations in another room later.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Farmerville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Went to the quilt show this past week and stayed at The Jefferson. Was pleasantly surprised. Had walked through the hotel a few years ago and was put off by the shabby (sagging cushions) furniture in the lobby and had images of shabby rooms in my mind, but never saw the rooms. Well, me and a friend booked Room 20 for one night. I was surprised to see how large the room was (decorated in Civil War theme). Decorated nicely with comfortable beds and a nice clean bathroom with a nice walk-in shower. Water in shower was hot with great pressure. I do have one suggestion; a stand-up toilet paper holder would be nice (there's plenty of room for it). My friend also complained about this - always trying to find it! Ha! The room was never cold and it got down to 18 that night. I had to actually turn the heat off a while. The manager was showing some tourists around so we joined them and saw the inside of a lot of the rooms upstairs and down. All were beautiful. Not as old-fashioned/tacky as some past reviews have stated. This is an old place - the furnishings fit the period. One more suggestion; please get rid of the chair sitting at the little desk between our room, #20, and the other one. The top is completely broken off. Why have it there? It looks nicer to have it completely gone. This was terrible and that sagging chair in the foyer needs to be done away with - please! It's still there! Things like this make a nice place look like it's falling apart and guests will think the rooms are too like I did years ago. I started taking pictures immediately after checking into our room and there were orbs in just about all of them. We were the only two in the hotel and there was one man upstairs that night. Around 12AM I went to the lobby with my video/camera and sat a few minutes but didn't see or hear anything. I took 3-4 pictures through the French doors going into Lamaches. There were three large/thick white orbs scattered down length of the (right-hand side) room floating at the ceiling. The second picture there were 2, and the third only 1 then they were gone. Could see faint facial features in each one. Went to bed later and finally went to sleep when all of sudden a loud bang woke me up. It sounded like wood hitting wood; something large and heavy landing (1:45 am) Thirty minutes later there was another hit, but much more subtle. Sounded like it was in the hallway. I started filming in the room from the bed (infrared) and there were 2 orbs up high between the two beds and they swooped down to the floor. Around 2:30 there were 2 orbs again hovering between the beds and they took off when I started filming. That was the extent of our ghostly experiences. There is a train that comes by several times and it kept waking up my friend. This aggravated her. I had a wonderful time here and will definitely be back. I left my pillow there and the manager called immediately to let us know. Lamaches food was good but my friend was disappointed in the selection of wine. No major complaints here. I feel this place has a lot of ghosts!

Room Tip: P.S. Just remember there's not an elevator. If you have trouble walking ask for a room on the b...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Rockwall, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Great location. We were driving to Jefferson for only one night over the weekend and seemed like most of the B&B's in town requested 2 night stay. So I was excited to find this historic old hotel; and it was exactly what we expected. We didn't expect brand spanking new, state of the art gadgetry, or everything to be 100%. Again, it's an historic old building. Clean, furnished nicely. Good nights sleep on comfortable bed. Laid back atmosphere. We enjoyed sitting on the 2nd floor balcony overlooking Austin Street before going downstairs to dine in the adjoining Italian restaurant. We chose Room 10 because it had a full sized walk-in shower stall. Every room is different...not only different bed(s) but some only have tubs, some have tubs with hand-held shower, so it would be a good idea to check them out on the internet before calling for a reservation. In the morning, you can walk across the street for breakfast whenever you get ready. There is a lot of train traffic near downtown Jefferson and you will probably hear it, but it wasn't loud enough to keep us awake even though we were at the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: We choose room 10 because it had a full-sized shower stall and was on the 2nd floor. It's at th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed at the Jefferson Hotel the weekend of January 18, 2014. The desk clerk was helpful - although on the phone when I arrived to check in, and seemingly intent on describing every room in completely detail to whomever was on the phone. While it was annoying to wait while she did so, later on I understood why.

The first room I was given had only a bathtub and a toilet in the "bathroom;" the sink was in the bedroom itself, a very odd arrangement. But the kicker was that the bathtub had no shower head or even a hand-held unit. It was just a plain old bathtub. I asked for a room with a shower; was told there was none available, but shown a room with a hand-held shower head. I just glanced at it and said it was fine, as I had to be elsewhere for an appointment. However, when I started to unpack, I realized there was no closet nor even an armoire in the room, so I had to hang my clothes on chairs and hooks. I asked the desk clerk for some hangers, at least, and she did give me some. The worst thing was the bathroom, however, and it was such a nightmare. Everything in the room, while fairly clean, is dreadfully old; linens fraying, thin towels, bedspread threadbare and torn. Only one electrical outlet in the room, that I could easily access. The vent in the ceiling was hanging by only a few loose bolts, so it wasn't completely flush, but just hung there. The bathroom, oh, the bathroom! Stained and peeling linoleum on the floor; broken towel racks. The bathtub - and not even a nice claw-footed tub, but simply an old bathtub - was stained, and did not drain at all. The hand-held "shower head" was just barely attached to the faucet and there was no place to hang it while showering; truly, you have to hold it in your hand the entire time while standing ankle-deep in dirty water because the tub doesn't drain. The faucet handles were loose and barely hanging onto the wall; there were broken towel racks protruding from the very old tiles.

I know that an older hotel is supposed to have its "charms" but this is not that kind of hotel; it's a dilapidated, run down nightmare. Oh, and there's no elevator, either; just a very long staircase with dirty and torn carpet, upon which you have to lug your suitcases up and down. I have no idea if anyone's on duty past 10 PM, as the hotel is locked and can only be accessed by a keycode, which they give you upon check in. Also, the room doors do not lock automatically; which is alarming, especially if you travel a lot and are used to hotels that have 21st century amenities. Had I not been booked there by someone else, I would have scurried across town to one of the charming bed and breakfasts in a heartbeat. But when I tried to cancel my reservation, upon closer examination of the conditions, I was told they would have to charge me the full price of the entire stay, so I was, quite literally, trapped.

Never again. Jefferson is full of charming bed and breakfasts; stay at one of those.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Princeton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Jefferson Hotel for my 61st birthday in April of 2013. When we checked in mid-afternoon we were told that we were the only guests staying that night and that there would be no staff on-site after 5 PM. We were given a code for the door and wished a pleasant night.

The employees shared some stories about events that had happened in each room and we were set for a grand time

After dinner that evening we returned to the hotel and while walking down a lower corridor to the soda machine we were surprised to hear someone cough and also caught the scent of a strong perfume.

We were having a wonderful time and fell asleep around 10 PM.

Around 2 AM we were awakened by a very loud noise that actually seemed to shake our bed. It sounded as if one of the antique dressers in the hallway near our door had been overturned. My husband being the hero went running into the hallway to find nothing amiss and total silence.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and plan to return again

Room Tip: Pick Room # 19. It is supposed to be the most haunted room :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Haughton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here one of the last weekends of December. The staff was very friendly and had many great suggestions as a walk-in. They showed me several rooms and I stayed in room 22. It had a very large bed and a working fireplace. The tub was an claw-foot but it had a handheld shower as well. It was a very nice room. I checked out on Saturday and saw several more rooms. The stay was fabulous. The only thing was it was booked the next day so I stayed at another property the hotel manages.The one thing that made it better was the discount card they give you for the cozy little Italian restaurant in the hotel. Great stay look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Room 19 is supposed to be the most haunted but downstairs are larger
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Rusk, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and daughter tried to reschedule a stay at the hotel five days before the reservation due to illness . Even though they were going to extend the stay from one night to two in the near future, the hotel would not allow it citing their cancellation policy. Unfortunately, they consider a reschedule as a cancellation and will charge them for the non-stay. After speaking to the manager, I believe they would charge your account even if you died prior to your stay. So if you are planning on staying here in the future, be advised that my family will be bringing their nasty germs with them and spreading it throughout the hotel. And no, they won't be rescheduling a longer stay in the future!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Historic Jefferson Hotel? Share your experiences!