“Horrid Treatment of customers” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Houston, TX
“Horrid Treatment of customers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Saturday, November 10, was my friend Judy's 70th birthday. My sister, another classmate, and I took her to Jefferson, Texas to celebrate, shop, and eat. About 1:30, we decided the lunch crowd had thinned so we went into a resturant called The Bakery on Austin Street. We ordered fairly quickly and began to talk. Several people came in, ate and left and we still did not have food after asking the waitress several times what was taking so long. After 45 minutes I asked to see the manager. When she came I inquired as to why it had taken so long to get our food. She said they had been busy!! I said that I thought that 45 minutes to wait was excessive. She said, "well, maybe you should go somewhere else to eat". I was taken aback but, since it was 2 P.M., and we were starving, we waited. BIG mistake, the food was not warm, and the chicken fried steak was greasy. When a man came in that was appeared to be the owner, I asked to see him and told him what had transpired. He said and I quote, "we serve good food, and we don't want people like you in here, so GET OUT"!!! This is the first time in my 69 years that I have ever been thrown out of anything!!! Well, as the say, "there is the first time for everything"!!! We fould out later that he had been the Mayor of Jefferson at one time. WOW!

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Louisiana
“Great place for an afternoon tea.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

While we did not eat a meal at the Bakery, my friend and I had a late afternoon tea. We chose to share a couple of the pastries they offered, with hot tea. The pastries were excellent and the service was great.

Next time I am in Jefferson, I plan on trying one of the many items from their menu (www.thebakeryrestaurant.net/the-bakery-restaurant-menus.html). They have a nice lunch selection that ranges from hot and cold sandwiches, to soup, salads, and fully loaded baked potatoes.

The present structure was built about 1900 and is next door to the Excelsior Hotel and across from the Jefferson Hotel.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth, Texas
“More of a restaurant and less of a bakery”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The cookies were dry, nothing special and the people working the counter were very slow, but nice. Don't know how the service is eating there, but stopping in and buying a few baked goods for the roadtrip home was regretful. Sorry we spent the $20, selection was poor and everything was dried out.

Visited October 2012
Porter
“It's convenient.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Food was just average, nothing outstanding. Help was short staffed, lots of apologizing. Bakery goods were not replenished so many customers left disappointed and this was a Saturday and Sunday, short on everything here.

Visited October 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent food every time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have eaten here 4 times and each time was excellent they have great homemade bread!! Service is slow so be prepared to take awhile but those baked goods and bread are worth the wait!!!!!

Visited September 2012

If you own or manage The Bakery Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.