“Lovely Historic Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Excelsior House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jefferson
The Excelsior House
You added The Excelsior House to your Saves list
211 W Austin Street, Jefferson, TX 75657   |
Ranked #11 of 27 Jefferson B&B and Inns
Decatur, Texas
“Lovely Historic Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My sister and I stayed 2 nights in the Victorian Parlor room. Although we would have preferred a room with 2 beds, we chose this room because of the door that opens out to the courtyard. The room itself was clean and very spacious but the bathroom and the shower were both rather small. The bed was very soft and comfortable. We had our own chairs just outside our room to sit and enjoy the pretty, well kept courtyard with the nice fountain area which is also home to a sweet turtle family. The breakfast was tasty and plentiful served in a room overlooking the fountain and courtyard which was a very pleasant atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Arlington, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I checked in alone on a Friday afternoon for a 2-night stay. The staff was friendly, helpful, and courteous. I was soon shown to my room (#215 in the "main house"). It was very spacious and had the expected turn-of-the-century charm. It was also clean, but upon close inspection, was somewhat shabby and had an odd odor which I can't describe. Rugs on the creaky-wooden floor were threadbare, there were tears on the cloth window shades, and the lamp table between the beds almost fell-over when I leaned on it (it may have a broken leg). The window ac/heater was not capable of cooling the large room, so I spent a lot of time sitting in front of it to cool myself. The bathroom had the proper old look fixtures which looked new. There was no counter space for toiletries in the bathroom and there was no stopper for the tub. The toilet was placed so close to the wall that the tp roll touched your right side while sitting! There was a hand-held shower wand, but I found it difficult to use with only one hand (my left arm is amputated just above the wrist) and was hard to keep the water spray from leaving the tub (no curtain around the tub). The bed was comfortable and I slept well Friday night. However, it wasn't enjoyable enough to me to stay a 2nd night, so I forfeited the Saturday night cost and checked-out in mid-afternoon to head back home.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 215.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

It really gets my goat when I've read rare but not so good reviews on this Historical Living Museum of a hotel. There's some funk, but it's old and that's how it should be. We've made it a tradition to go to Jefferson for the incredible 4th of July fireworks and once a tradition is started it's forever implanted. As many times as I've wanted to stay at the Excelsior for the 4th of July festivities, I've always waited too late but finally booked early last summer and got the Jay Gould room. There were a couple of things I would say that weren't so great about the room but don't want to go into detail as I'm sure the issues have been resolved. I will say on my next visit I would love to stay in the Lady Bird Johnson Room. The downstairs called the "historic wing" is older than what is called the "west wing" upstairs but don't let that fool you, the west wing was built not long after the "historic wing", so, it's just as old, maybe includes some ghosts too, but legend has it, they all hang out downstairs. In the Parlor you'll see signatures of past guests, including Oscar Wild, Ulysses Grant, Lady Bird Johnson - among others. I love courtyard in the back of the property, especially at night, very peaceful, you may even discover some fig trees bearing fresh figs. Jefferson, Texas is an incredible historic town that deserves more attention. I've seen it make somewhat of a comeback in the last few years and hope it continues. There's no place like the Piney Woods of Texas and it's less than a few hours East of DFW. So much to do for families , romantic for couples, getaway with friends for antique shopping and little boutiques that are emerging. Also, great for the solo traveler who wants to take time in the museums this historic retreat has to offer. Be sure to check out the weekday specials at Excelsior House, dang good bargain.

Room Tip: I've only stayed in the Jay Gould Room. If you call ahead of time the guy that takes reservation...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We arrived late on Sunday afternoon and were surprised to receive one of the smallest, tightest rooms. There is no elevator and so we carried our luggage up the stairs and walked past all the open doors to the unoccupied rooms. Our room had about 12 inches clearance around the bed and the walls. The tv sat on a table at the foot of the bed right in front of the window unit air conditioner. The bathroom sink IS the width of the bathroom - no counterspace. The furnishings are lovely, and you are surrounded by history and the hotel has a lovely ambiance. The outside courtyard and fountain were beautiful. But if you're looking for a comfortable room to relax and visit, skip this one. Opt for the tour of the builidng and sleep somewhere else! My husband was not comfortable at all. We did sit out in the rocking chairs on the balcony and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the lovely fountain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Enjoyed a recent thursday night stay at the Excelsior House. Weekday stays are a great deal. The room was comfortable and clean. We enjoyed chatting in the garden and then walked 1/2 a block to the "night life" in Jefferson.

The next morning, breakfast was wonderful; the staff had our table set and the food and service was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent Easter weekend at the Excelsior House in The Diamond Bessie Suite and were pleasantly surprised! The entire hotel is wonderfully restored and our suite was extremely comfortable. It rained most of the weekend so we were forced to spend the weekend indoors. We spent alot of time in the sunroom that was attached to our room and did not regret a minute of it. It was very relaxing and the courtyard is also great too. Our bed was also very comfortable. We highly recommend this hotel and will definitely visit again!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
dallas, texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This historic property delivered everything that was promised, and more. We stayed in the Diamond Bessie Room, and had a spacious, well-furnished suite to enjoy the laid-back Jefferson experience. The room was clean, well-furnished, quiet, and comfortable. The staff, from the desk clerks, to the housekeepers, to the very attentive young lady who served our breakfast, was cheerful and helpful. The Plantation Breakfast was well prepared, and served both in the formal dining room and in the glassed-in sunroom with a garden view. In chatting with other guests, we found that they all seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Our room was in the historic wing, but we also looked into the rooms in the west wing addition (which is almost as old as the historic wing. Each of the rooms is different, but they all seem to have a similar historic feel. We experienced no problems with our room. The location in the center of the town puts it within walking distance of most in-town sights.

I did not ask about ghosts, but I did ask about restaurant recommendations, and the desk clerk was quite helpful (offering to call for reservations for us) and accurate in her assessments of various places.

The town itself is a gem, as is nearby Caddo Lake. All in all, we very much enjoyed our stay, and look forward to a return to this hotel.

Room Tip: The Diamond Bessie Room, no. 104 is worth the higher charge.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Excelsior House? Share your experiences!