“I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Excelsior House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jefferson
The Excelsior House
You added The Excelsior House to your Saves list
211 W Austin Street, Jefferson, TX 75657   |
Ranked #11 of 27 Jefferson B&B and Inns
Bryan, Texas, United States
“I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I am a descendant of people who helped build Jefferson and have stayed at the Excelsior House over 50 times in my 67 years. I spent 4 days in Jefferson with 3 friends from 5/17 - 5/21. I wanted to stay at the Excelsior but my friends prefer B&B's so I took them into the hotel hoping that the tour would change their minds. The man I spoke with, Michael, was putting cloths on tables and was very brusque and rude when I asked about the tour. When I asked about the times for the tour he said, "1:30 if I have the time..." I have always been so impressed with the gentility of the ladies who have been behind the desk in the past but this man was rude, blunt, and had no time for us. Thus he lost 4 paying guests for 4 nights and my friends, who said they would never stay there, missed the opportunity of experiencing that great place. I was disappointed and very embarrassed. I had raved about the Excelsior the entire 4 hours it took us to get to Jefferson. What a tragedy has befallen the Excelsior.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Centerville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

My wife and I decided to stay the night here at the spur of the moment rather drive the 3 hrs back home. Being a Sunday night, we were able to choose any room we wanted. We chose the Diamond Bessie room since it had the door leading to the court yard whenever we wished to step out. The rooms are furnished with nice antiques and the stay was interesting. We will probably stay at a B&B the next time we go to Jefferson and yes, we will definitely be coming back to town!

Room Tip: I would choose to stay in the Grant or Lady BIrd room or somewhere else in town.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Texas USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

Older Historic Hotel with a unique southern charm. Great location to walk around downtown and our room was very nice with a nice courtyard to enjoy.
Well worth the money and we'd go back again.

Stayed April 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

When searching for Jefferson Hotels, I discovered this incredible hotel is not listed by its proper name. I was taken on a tour, and the historic rooms were absolutely incredible. Staggeringly spacious, and furnished like a museum, with genuine antiques. During weekdays, they are only $85. The next time I am in Jefferson, I will definitely stay in this fabulous hotel.

Strongly advise any traveler to go to their website and check it out. It is far nicer than the Jefferson B&B's, and should not be confused with the Jefferson Hotel!

Room Tip: Definitely stay in one of the historic rooms - unbelievable spacious, and furnished like a museum!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I love staying at The Excelsior House Hotel. We love to just get away from time to time on the weekend. The breakfast is wonderful and the entire staff was very courteous and friendly. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
The Colony, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I have visited Jefferson many times. We've stayed at B&B's, at the Jefferson Inn, and this trip was our first experience at the Excelsior House. We were thrilled with the beauty of this hotel, and enjoyed our stay very much. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. We were in the historic wing, and I highly recommend making that choice if any of the rooms are available. Breakfast wasn't available on the first morning we were there, so we popped next door to the Bakery Restaurant. The breakfast we had at the Excelsior on Sunday was awesome. Perfect food in perfect portions. We enjoyed touring the gorgeous parlor and dining area, as well as seeing the other rooms in the historic wing. The lobby has several cases full of information on the hotel's past (as well as Jefferson's past). The only drawback was that our room was located street side and we could very clearly hear any conversation going on out on the sidewalk. At all hours. Jefferson is a quiet place, but there are people out and about late just like anywhere else, and we were awoken at one point to a woman yelling across the street to notify her group that she could see her car and she was safe. We were glad she was safe, but would've been even happier if she'd waved to them instead. ;) All in all, it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the historic wing - but not on the front side.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Saginaw, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012 via mobile

It was an overnight girls trip from Fort Worth to Jefferson. You should do your best to stay in the West wing, which is the historic wing. Our original room was not in this wing but we were allowed to upgrade, thanks to Michael. The decor and period furnishings, along with the commentaries from Michael, really set the mood. Don't miss the breakfast! All of the employees were courteous and friendly with the exception of one woman who runs the desk at night. It seemed to be Michael's pleasure to ensure we had the best stay possible. We ate at the Bistro and Stillwater Inn and recommend both.

• Stayed February 2012

Been to The Excelsior House? Share your experiences!