“Please don't waste your money here” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #115 of 493 Restaurants in Irving
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Austin, Texas, United States
“Please don't waste your money here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I found this restaurant after Google searching places to eat that were in our vicinity. After reading reviews on several different sites we made our decision. I immediately knew it was the wrong one when we drove up to a nearly empty, besides staff vehicles, parking lot on a Friday night. We sat anyway and started off with a Philly roll, a Garlic Tuna roll and something called Karange, which was described as fried marinated chicken breast nuggets served with “special sauce”. The rolls were nothing spectacular; they were similar to the sushi found at the local grocery store. The chicken were diced tidbits that were fried up and seriously served with KETCHUP and a small blurp of yellow mustard as the aforementioned “special sauce”.
Despite the starters we went ahead and ordered entrees as I joked there had better not be any more ketchup. I got the Pork Katsu (Deep fried pork tender loin in light breadcrumb batter served with special sauce) and a miso soup and he got the Honey BBQ Rib (Grilled pork rib with chef’s own honey BBQ sauce) and a salad that came with a sweet ginger house dressing. The miso was pretty much tasteless so after two spoonfuls I had enough. His salad was a roughly chopped bowl of iceberg covered in a watery bright orange dressing. He was also done after a few bites. The entrees came fairly quickly along with small bowls of severely overcooked rice. My pork was heavily breaded and greasy. The meat was pounded so thin I was essentially just eating breading. Oh, and it was served with KETCHUP! The grilled ribs, with artificial grill marks, were fatty, unseasoned and covered in what tasted like bottled sauce. They serve better pork ribs at Chinese buffets, people. It was pretty terrible food and I was pretty bummed considering all the positive reviews we had found.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Flower Mound, Texas, United States
“Not a fake.This is real Japanese Restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I am from Japan and I know what is real Japanese and what is not.Real Japanese Sushi Cheff there and I go there all the time.Kitchen foods are very good there too.Let me tell you how to judge real Japanese or not in easy way.Real Japanese restaurant do not charge for hot green tea.Korean and Chinese do.

Visited November 2012
Pflugerville, Texas
“unimpressive in every way”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I brought my wife here for a special birthday dinner based on the overall positive reviews. The service was fine. We started with the shrimp dumplings. The dumplings were small and tasted more like shrimp flavoring than real shrimp, like something you might get from the frozen section at the grocery store. The miso soup was fine. Next, we ordered a spicy tuna roll, and 4 pieces of super white tuna. My biggest complaint is that everything seemed room temperature; the rice and the fish. I like bright, fresh, and COLD sushi. The warmth was unappetizing. The super white tuna, which should stand alone on flavor, was covered in green onions and some sort of sauce. We sent it back and asked that it be prepared without the sauce that masks the flavor of this delicious fish. We were very close to walking out and asking for our money back. The atmosphere is very plain. A very disappointing experience.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth, Texas
“Plentiful portions at Hanasho”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We met an out of town friend at Hanasho for early dinner, our first visit. All of us are indeed sushi fans. The portions were plentiful and the sushi was quite fresh, but a bit on the bland side. we came here based on the earlier reviews and wanted to love it as much as other diners, but the wow factor just wasn't there for us, and we really enjoy Japanese style and other ethnic food.

The atmosphere was quite peaceful and relaxed and the service was attentive without being intrusive and the chef very pleasant - excellent service and care from all - a solid B- for our group.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, TX
“Great Sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I love Hanasho for their rolls. I especially recommend the Jill roll, Luis roll, and Fire roll. I have brought several friends/colleagues here, and each one has loved these! Everything is super fresh and the portions are larger than average.

This is another of those places I never would have gone if a friend hadn't recommended it - it is in a strip shopping center, next to an Aldi, for crying out loud, but once you are in the door, you will forget about all that. :)

• Visited October 2011