“Boy Scout History and Norman Rockwell” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 Attractions in Irving
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
Fort Hood, Texas
“Boy Scout History and Norman Rockwell”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is a great museum for anyone involved with Scouts. It has a great exhibit of Norman Rockwell's series of Scout paintings. It shows the history of scouting and all of its aspects in a very interesting way.

Visited June 2012

Kansas City
16 attraction reviews
“Not as boring as you'd think!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My son is a scout & he's 13 - I sortof dragged him here (we stayed across the street, so it was really convenient). We went on a Sunday (FREE - hours 1-5). It is much bigger & significantly cooler than I expected it to be. The Norman Rockwell collection is impressive (I highly recommend taking the guided tour for that - lots of neat info), they have a pinecar track, a shooting gallery, lots of displays, and our personal favorite, bicycles that you pedal & make little 4 wheelers go on a big video screen! Me and the kids raced until we were exhausted! I would definitely recommend a walk through. I'm not sure I would have paid the $5 admission x the three of us, but for free, it was definitely worth the 45 minutes.

Visited June 2012
Dallas, Texas
27 attraction reviews
“Fun and informative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is a really nice museum with things for the kids to interact with as well as learn about. My son and daughter both had a nice time and the people who worked there were very nice when we went.

Visited April 2012
Dallas, Texas
49 attraction reviews
“A great museum for anyone involved in Scouts - great Norman Rockwell oils as well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

My family visited the National Scouting Museum over spring break. We are a "scouting" family with both my husband and I actively involved in Scouts when our boys were growing up and both of our boys earning their Eagle. We enjoyed learning more about the history of the scout program as well as "revisiting" some of the fun activities we did as a family while involved in scouts such as the pine wood derby and camping. I felt the museum was very well done and loved all the interactive exhibits. It is a well kept museum and we were fortunate enough to have one of the volunteers talk to us about several of the Norman Rockwell paintings that are housed at the museum. His knowledge and friendliness really added to our experience. There is normally a fee, but we visited the museum on a Monday, which is one of the days that there is no admission fee so even more of a treat.

Visited March 2012
Denton, Texas
9 attraction reviews
“One of the coolest places you've never visited!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

The National Scouting Museum is a treasure. They have a gallery of paintings by American artist Norman Rockwell, simulated camping experiences, and a host of other things to see and do. It isn't just for scouting enthusiasts.

Plenty of parking.