“Useful Airport hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 76 Hotels in Irving
Birmingham
“Useful Airport hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

First things first - if you are intolerant of noise then this hotel is not for you as it is close to the perimeter fence of one of the worlds largest airports. To be honest I found the noise of the planes less annoying than that of the air conditioning fan.

The room was a suite i think. It was large with sink, microwave and fridge fitted. Very clean and comfortable.

All the staff I had contact with were cheerful and pleasant.

There is free wireless or cabled internet available.

I didn't use the pool but there is a small pool which is 3'6deep at each end and 4' in the middle so ideal if you have children with you.

There is also a fitness room with free weights, treadmills, exercise bikes etc.

Overall I was very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Not sure why - but they gave me a suite. It was a long way from the front desk. The hotel is a maze. Clearly it's older without the modern design. But you know...it worked. It was clean, fresh, and not a bad little place. It's as good if not better than the Fairfield next door. It was a bit hard to find in my navi....but that's not their fault.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
RIO RANCHO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We had a wonderful reception. It's a very busy place but the guy at the front desk was friendly & helpful. He was working at high speed but we were made to feel like we were the only ones there. He got us checked in with record speed - a very cool guy!
Only problem was the toilet kept running & my husband took the lid off the tank & giggled the handle & unkinked the chain. Still it would run so we called for maintance. A guy came up & did the same thing & said - "There, it's fixed!" It happened again but we were checking out so we figered we'd tried. On the night before our flight out we checked into this same hotel & got the same room!! Surprise, surprise - the toilet had the same problem. Hope maintance will someday get around to fixing the plumbing in this suite.
Other than that - this is an excellent location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We initially thought that we would be staying at HIE at 333 W John Carpenter Freeway (114), much higher rated hotel on TA (#10 when I wrote this review) than this hotel (#59).

The hotel is old, very close to DFW and the planes are very noisy, especially when you getting your belongings from the car. Seems like the plane will land right on top of you. Inside you can still hear the planes, but it much better and quieter.

The room is spacious with small kitchen, but our had not offensive, but unusual odor. The room seemed clean, the beds and the pillows (choice of firm or soft) were nice. The bath has separate shower and tub. Nice touch, though the toilet space is a bit tight. The old TV had limited channel selection and Starz as premium channel and is next to the bed, not facing it. Seems like an afterthought.

Denny’s is nearby, but there are any kind of shopping / restaurants 10 min away. Just beware that construction is going on at 114 and 121 (Grapevine) and the traffic is heavy in the afternoon.

The breakfast bar is copy of and the same as every other place. It is OK for a day or two, but it gets old very quickly after that. Not much to look forward with breads, eggs, yogurt, etc. and almost no fresh fruit (apple or two, that’s it).

This place is on southwest frontage road of 114 populated with many other hotel chains. If you need to be close to DFW you can check them out, though they will have the same landing planes issue, but if you prefer HIE I suggest the 5 mile or so drive south to what we thought was our original stay. Much nicer (even just looking from outside) and quieter place than this Holiday Inn Excuse.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Barron, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

All flights from DFW were cancelled around midnight due to weather and the lines were long and slow waiting to be rescheduled for the following day. I'd had knee surgery 6 weeks earlier and was in great pain. The shuttle from the airline's discounted hotel didn't show after 2 hours so I called Holiday Inn Express and reserved a room for $89. They sent a shuttle within 15 minutes and gave me a beautiful 2 room suite. I used the computer in the lobby to schedule an earlier flight than the airline gave me saving 6 hours of waiting. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked out to only be charged $55+tax. I will definitely be back, wonderful place and great people!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

I stayed at this Holiday Inn on a brief overnight, and believe you me, one night would have been more than enough (due to the 1980's decor), but keep reading! At around 4:30 AM the power went out, and did not come back on. Showering and packing by the light of a Blackerry is not what I expect when I pay for a night in a hotel. Nor do I expect to have to find my way to the hotel lobby by following the walls because there is NO (zero) safety lightening in the entire hotel. When I reached the lobby I advised the desk associated I was unable to find my phone charger in the room, and was told they could not let me back in to my room. Five phone calls to the hotel manager later, and two emails to the parent hotel chain, and still no return of my phone calls or possessions, say nothing about customer satisfaction. I do find it funny however, that Holiday Inn was able to make sure that my bill was emailed to me within 24 hours of the power being turned back on....

Room Tip: Don't book here.....
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
McKinney, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

We stayed nearly five weeks (with a seven day split in the middle of visit), which is standard as we visit family. Being our visits are for long stays, our search for a hotel includes convenience to the airport w/shuttle, proximity to restaurants, room accommodations, and price. In this case, we generally stayed at the HIE on Airport Frwy, but decided to change primarily, as rooms there do not provide the privacy for the dressing/vanity. Nor do they have separate (door separating them) living and bedrooms.

Sadly, our first introduction to this HIE was the contracted shuttle. Though the young man was personable, the van was dirty and beat-up and he offered no help to get our luggage into the hotel. Not a good first impression.

Then, upon our return to complete the final leg of our trip, we were met at the desk by a less than cordial greeting. The young lady couldn't even raise her head to make eye contact. This behaviour continued from she and most of the evening staff for the remainder of our stay.

There was only one clerk, the maintenance man, and weekday dining room staff that made a sincere effort to make our stay comfortable. The rest of the staff could learn customer service from them.

It has to be said though, when I reported these concerns and frustrations to the manager he was very apologetic and show genuine concern.

All in all, our stay was in a clean comfortable room which included a typical HIE breakfast. The beds were very comfortable and the room, though in need of updating, adequate and comfortable. Though I find it a shame they chose to switch to disposable dishes and cutlery in the suites.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites-DFW North? Share your experiences!