“discount room; discount quality” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi For Members
Ranked #32 of 78 Hotels in Irving
Nashville
“discount room; discount quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Construction is underway on the restaurant and lobby area. Starts at 7:00 am every morning, 7 days a week. Say they hope to finish maybe in August 2012.

When the noise woke us Saturday morning, I thought that they were drilling the concrete wall in the next room. When it started again on Sunday, I called the front desk.. The front desk was smooth and polite and assured me that it was the lobby construction but they could not delay it. Had to be 7:00 am.

This is all in the lobby level of the south wing of the hotel. Make sure you get a room in the north wing or a very high floor.

We booked for a Friday through Sunday using one of the discount deals online, Turns out that's why we got such a deal. I suspect the lower south wing floor are where they dump the discounters. The regulars know better and I didn't do my research so there it is.

Food/Bar: The in hotel ad's make a big deal about "Drinks prepared with the same professional skill as the bar they are served on." Actually, the bartender had to look in a book as she made me a Bloody Bull and then shook it before pouring into a glass; it looked like milky tomato soup.
The waiter forgot my beer and wandered off so I had to go get it myself. We ate in the bar (all that was open) and I had the oversize hot dog and fries. The bun was charred black but they served it anyway.

We asked for a mini-fridge and it was delivered, no charge. No workie. The replacement fridge actually worked.

The staff was generally very helpful, friendly and polite. Pool and gym first rate and staffed. Food sucks, prepared and served by incompetents. Room and bed just ok, they had a shipment of new mattresses coming in.

Room Tip: (1) North wing only (2) upper floors only (3) The Wyndham is close, newer and Not under renovatio...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Mount Pleasant, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I travel a LOT. This stay has pushed me further back towards the Hilton and Carlson brands. To be fair, I will start with the positives.

PROS:

- I love the bath amenities. The citrus hand soap bar and shower bar are OUTSTANDING.
- The vending machines take credit cards. Excellent.
- They have a snack shop. Convenient.
- Large lobby area for relaxing. Nice.
- The room itself was comfortable, spacious, and relaxing. I didn't hear any noises from rooms nearby, and I felt content in my room.
- Close to the airport with shuttle service. Convenient.

CONS:

- Check-in staff was not friendly. I don't want anyone to kiss my feet, but a smile would be nice. I smile all the time. And the best part? It's free.
- The Crosswinds Bar & Grill was AWFUL. One of the female wait staff kept forgetting to deliver people's orders (one of the customers was talking to me about it), and she totally forgot about me as I was sitting at the bar waiting to place my order. After about 30 minutes, a male wait staff member finally took my order, and then it took an additional 30 minutes to make a hot dog that tasted just awful. An hour for a hot dog to go? I would have asked for a refund, but I was just too tired to argue about it.
- When I got back up to my room, they didn't put any silverware in my to-go bag. When I called room service for some silverware (I was already dressed in my night clothes for the evening), the operator said, "I guess I can ask," in an irritated tone. Seriously??? This place is REALLY lacking in customer service skills. I will say that the gentleman who brought me the silverware was incredibly kind and wouldn't even accept my two dollar tip for bringing it up to me - that was classy, but I think he was the manager on duty.
- The air conditioning was not set to a comfortable temperature, and it took two hours to get it down to making the room comfortable. I know we are all trying to save money, but a few notches lower as a standard would be appreciated upon arrival.
- You have to pay for Internet here... at an airport hotel? It's 2013, right? LOL. Irritating.
- One of the shuttle drivers was incredibly kind, the other one was dismissive and irritable. I thankfully got to ride with the kind one and tipped him appropriately for his super-positive attitude.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

Places like this keep me repeat visits and from concentrating and earning points in their loyalty program. I tend to focus on Hilton-branded and Carlson-branded hotels because their staff members are USUALLY pretty positive and helpful to their client base. This location missed the mark on both accounts.

I travel to DFW a few times a year, and unless I knew that there was an improvement at this location, I probably will not return, which is sad, because this location LOOKS great and has such great POTENTIAL! It's the staff that ruins it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Part of a six hotel road trip, we thought we would finish off in a nice upscale Marriott. Dont get me wrong the hotel was clean, looked good, beds fine, staff good. However, every other hotel we stayed in (Staybridge, Springhill Suites) offered free wifi, coffee in the reception and a free breakfast. Yes I know they are low end hotel chains, but at the end of the day they serviced the same needs for a lot less price and with a lot more amentites. We actually wished we had kept staying at the other places. I guess what I am trying to say you get a lot more bang for your buck staying at a cheaper hotel nearby.
Good point Swimming pool kids loved it.

Room Tip: This is an airport hotel, dont get a room that opens onto the lift lobbies the bells on the lift rin...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Bob B, General Manager at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriott North, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Hotel has all you need. Free breakfast on weekends for platinum members. Huge fitness center with nice machines. Friendly staff. Inviting areas around outdoor pool to relax. Close to interstate and just up the road from Grapevine and great dining.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Bob B, Manager at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriott North, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent visit to our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our fitness center and that you found our staff friendly. It is always nice to hear positive comments about our hotel and staff.

Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you soon.
Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I got sent here by DFW airport after AA flight was delayed and missed layover....

Nonetheless, they put me in the Marriott for the night.

Got there, ate in the sports bar, slept 3 hours and went back to airport.

Was very clean, bed was nice, food in sports bar was very good(better than expected). Seemed like a higher end Marriott compared to others ive stayed at.

I would stay again if coming in for business. Shuttle ran every half hour for 24 hours a day to and from airport so getting back and forth was easy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ryan G
Bob B, General Manager at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriott North, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Ryan,

Thank you for your nice comments regarding your short stay at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the food in our Sports Bar and found the bed comfortable.
We definitely look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Bob Bula
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

One of the better airport Marriott's I've ever stayed at. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. Rooms were modern and clean. Internet service was fast and A/C was strong. Lobby area is appealing and comfortable. Nice stay,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Southlake, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a different review for me, because we rented part of the ballroom for a College reunion. Although this property has been around for years, it is well maintained and clean. Everyone enjoyed their rooms. The meeting room was excellent. Food outstanding. We had a buffet of lamb chops, coconut shrimp, cajun turkey, and everyone raved. Excellent but non-intrusive service. We also had a get-together one night in the hotel bar, and bought the $50. appetizer tower, fed many people. Overall, I recommend this hotel for a meeting or group event, the cuisine excelled.

Room Tip: Recommend not renting a west-facing room due to the sun in the late afternoon. Best view is if you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irving
The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Irving - DFW Airport
Sheraton DFW Airport Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS DFW Airport Suites
Courtyard by Marriott DFW Airport North / Irving

Been to Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriott North? Share your experiences!