“Better than I expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 76 hotels in Irving
Cooper City, Florida
“Better than I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

There are a lot of hotel choices both on the north and south side of DFW. I had passed this by before because I thought it looked a bit "tired" when I passed it on on the highway. I was wrong. This is a modern, up to date hotel with all of the ammenities you would expect from Marriott. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. There are several restaurants with ample room. The concierge lounge is big enough to accomodate the peak times. Service in all areas was good. The elevators get a little slow in the morning and you hear a bit of road noise at night, but its not bad. I will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

It's a nice hotel and everything but it's definitely tailored to those on company money. There's a charge for both breakfast and internet, which even on company money I wasn't willing to pay for. Those traveling on own cash and not a gold/platinum member should avoid this hotel and the puny charges. Although let's be honest all hotels at this level are the same way. Restaurant was nice and the Chilean See Bass was AWESOME. However, when we were ordering appys the server offered a non-menu item, seafood platter. Looking at the menu the most expensive appy was $24, also sort of a platter, so we figured how much could it be, $35 at most. When we got the bill, it was $50!! Very unprofessional for him to not mention anything about the price. Rate of 190/night for three weekdays on a huge corporate rate was still quite high. Service in general was good, shuttle to DFW was convenient.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bangalore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Granted it is a nice hotel at first look. But the fact that is is overpriced clouds my objectivity about this hotel. I stayed here for a night and paid 240$. And the toilet still did not flush properly. They still did not give me free breakfast. It does not make sense to stay here when there are so many other lodging options are available around DFW with much better value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
High Point, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Room was exceptionally nice, especially the amenities. Food was ok. The worst thing about this hotel is that there is nothing nearby, at least within walking distance. So if you want to shop or do anything off campus, you need a car or a cab.

Location is less than 2 miles from DFW airport but unless you want to spend $24 on a cab, take the free shuttle. You may have to wait 15 or 20 minutes for it. And be sure to call them to request pickup. The shuttle departs the hotel for DFW on the top and bottom of the hour.

We were here for a business meeting and the meeting rooms were great. No complaints.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I feel bad writing a poor review on the DFW Marriott North and the only thing saving this hotel is their very friendly and helpful staff. They are convenient to the airport with a shuttle running every half hour to/from the airport (10 minutes away), but the poor beds made it very difficult to sleep. It's almost as if I was sleeping on springs and the too-soft pillows only accentuated that. The hotel gym is tiny, which is surprising considering it is a hotel suited to business travelers and has 19 floors of rooms. I stayed there for a work conference, which it is laid out well for, but the horrible bed/pillows only allowed for minimal sleep and the bathroom size barely gave you room to turn around in. Overall the hotel gives a good first impression, but I could not stay here again.

Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here on New Years eve, on a quick trip from New Orleans to Vegas. The hotel was further from the airport than I orignally thought it would be but then I had no idea how big Dallas airport was!! The room was really nice and clean, the front office staff were really friendly and the bell boys were fantastic - really helpful when we wanted to take a tour of Dealy Plaza the next morning, (New Years Day) they organised everything for us the night before - thanks again guys!!! We had dinner in the sports bar as the steak house was closed but they still did a mean steak - the food and the staff again really great. If we ever head back that way we will be back!

Room Tip: Ask the bell boys to book you a 'tourist taxi' with Dr James! Defintely worth every penny yo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have stayed at two other Dallas/Fort Worth airport hotels, and this is one falls somewhere between them. The Marriott could have better (Grand Hyatt), and it could have been a lot worse (Hotel Bedford Plaza). The Marriott could also have been more expensive (Grand Hyatt), or cheaper (Hotel Bedford Plaza).

This was a planned overnight layover at DFW, since I departed the West Coast on Friday afternoon. I landed just before 9pm and immediately called for the shuttle. After about 20 rings, the call was answered and the apologetic associate advised that the shuttle would arrive in 25-30 minutes. Hoping that this was a worst-case scenario, I exited baggage claim and embraced the cool Texas evening. Well, the shuttle arrived as advertised – 26 minutes after my call. Fortunately, mine was the last stop, and I entered the hotel lobby 5 minutes later. Unfortunately, I was third in line for check-in, and there was only one front desk associate. He was very efficient, but the total toll from gate to room was 45 minutes – longer than I would hope for an airport hotel.

Once inside the room, I was pleasantly surprised by the layout. I entered through a short corridor. The closet was on the immediate left, and then the bathroom was the second door. After passing the bathroom entrance, the room opened up. There was an ottoman, couch, work area, and a king-sized bed. The couch looked a bit tired, but the rest of the furnishings were in good condition. The customary Marriott look and amenities were in place – bed-side lights, reading lamps, and flat screen television. The bathroom featured a shower tub. I am pleased to report that the water pressure and temperature were excellent. Outside of the aging couch, my only complaint with the room was the location. The room was just steps from the elevators, and an exuberant group woke me up at 2:15am as they completed their nightcap. I was initially concerned about the aircraft noise, but since the room faced East, but it was a non-issue. The ideal room would be facing East away from the elevators.

Prior to my morning flight, I had just enough time for a quick run. I passed the indoor pool and hot tub enroute to the health club. The hot tub was closed for repair. There were a few other exercise enthusiasts at 6am but still three open treadmills. The gym was spacious. In addition to the five treadmills, there were also stationary bicycles and elliptical machines. Refrigerated waters were also available as well as sanitary wipes – both of which are very much appreciated.

Finally, I am a Marriott Platinum member and often select Marriott hotels because of the concierge lounge access. I assume that this hotel’s concierge lounge is closed on the weekends, but I am not quite sure. The front desk did not mention the lounge, and I was too tired to inquire when I reached my room. It would have been helpful if the associate had proactively addressed lounge access.

In summary, the Marriott was $60 cheaper than my preferred DFW hotel, the Grand Hyatt. Since I was only at the hotel for 10 hours, I could not justify the extra cost of the Grand Hyatt. In retrospect, I stand by this statement, but it’s not just a passing thought. The Marriott is a more economical full-service option, but the tradeoff is proximity to the airport.

Pros: Full-service hotel 5-10 minutes from DFW terminals once in shuttle, standard Marriott in-room look and amenities, well-equipped health club

Cons: Shuttle wait approached 30 min, no information about concierge lounge

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriott North? Share your experiences!