A very cool, urban industrial style hotel. Though it feels out of the way, you are close to shopping and restaurants.
Urban industrial design with some mid-century hip. They've nailed the current trend to not be a "cokkie-cutter" business hotel.
Very nice at check in. I was in and to my room in 5 minutes. They took the time to explain amenities available, times for breakfast, gym, etc. (more on that gym later)
You either like bare concrete or you don't. There is no middle ground here. However, if you like the trend in design, you'll love it at the hotel. (If not, seek a Courtyard.) A super comfortable bed, nice large TV with great selections. Coffee maker, safe and a decent desk lamp! (see below for the design mis-steps)
Very nice. Terrific, large mirror that extended to the shower (handy for shaving), great lighting; nice sized room. Wood laminate counter and vessel bowl sink were cool touches. (more on the sink later...), rainshower with a frosted, curved glass wall that also faced the bedroom. The green glass was a nice touch and the corner being open to the room helped cut down on steam. Private label products from Gilchrest and Soames were nice. The room felt airy and fresh.
VERY nice , smallish gym. VERY clean and everything was in working order.
Very posh. It felt more like a resort than a hotel in Las Colinas. They took cues from penthouse living and applied it to the pool area just outside the restaurant and bar.
I didn't eat there but others in the group were very happy.
Gloria, at the front desk, is absolutely terrific. Personable, helpful and ready to go more than the extra mile to make things right. Her personality visibly lights up when guests approach. Everyone was nice but she is special!
Now, about those mis-steps, and a bit of adisclaimer:
I am an interior designer by trade, so I look at logic and convenience beyond the aesthetics; the hotel has great aesthetics but design isn't good if it doesn't function well. That said:
•Avoid rooms 249,251 at the moment. They are over the gym and though not a light sleeper, I woke up to hear (and feel) the thumping of the treadmill below me. (It took a while to figure out what it was) The gym is open 24 hours so my first wake up was at midnight and the other at 0545. Not good. I told 5 different front desk people over the course of the day just to stress the issue and it was taken under advisement and actually written down. (I must say, I was offered another room but with only one more night it seemed a pain to move, fortunately, the "Olympic Treadmill Team" appeared to be gone) Most important is that the hotel fix the sound issue, not just move people around. Besides, if it's a full house, where would they go?
•The windows are behind the beds. Again, it's very cool design but you have to climb up a little platform, reach behind the headboard and use the chain pulley to raise or lower the shade. If you are not thin, getting to the window could be difficult. If you are not tall, reaching the cord would be tough. If you are clumsy, climbing up the little stairs and behind the bed could be disastrous. (they need to be controlled automatically from somewhere near the bed.
•The bath sink faucet is too short. Unless you turn the water on full force, the stream is close to the edge of the sink, making it hard to get your hands in to wash and ultimately having you splash water all over. The single shaft/lever faucet s very cool and looks great, but it just doesn't extend far enough over the sink to be practical. In the end, we want to wash our hands and brush our teeth.
•An open closet near the entrance door (with a curtain to hide your belongings) is poorly designed. A nice shelf unit comes up too high if you have anything long to hang. It's also pretty cramped. (note that it seems to be a business hotel so the closets are full of vast wardrobes.) Still, it's tight.
Would I stay again? Absolutely. It is a cool property and the few annoyances can be dealt with. Any other room wouldn't be over the gym (though I'd be leery of being over the restaurant and bar, as well). The sink faucet isn't dire, nor is the shade. It's just that with so much thought going into being cool, these items should also have been practical.
- Also Known As:
- Nylo Dallas Las Colinas Hotel
- Nylo Dallas Las Colinas Hotel Irving
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dallas, Texas Attractions. While we're sure you'll get a good night sleep at NYLO Dallas/Las Colinas, it's likely you won't go home rested. With so many things to do and see in the Dallas Fort Worth area, it's easy to fill your days with exciting options. Texas Motor Speedway, Sixth Floor Museum, American Airlines Center, Irving Arts Center and Dallas Museum of Art are popular attractions near NYLO Dallas/Las Colinas. DFW is a powerhouse when it comes to professional sports with such teams as the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, and Texas Rangers Baseball. Local Businesses located near NYLO Dallas/Las Colinas:AAA Texas 1.8mi Abbott Laboratories 2.9mi Accenture 3.7mi ACE Cash Express 0.6mi Allstate Insurance 3.5mi Archon Group 1.2mi Aviall/Boeing 4.4miBAE Systems 4.1mi Bain & Co 2.4mi BearingPoint 0.9mi Big 12 Conference 11.6mi Bombardier 5.6mi Boy Scouts of America 1.6mi Brink's 4.5mi Bristol-Myers Squibb 1.0miCAE Semuflight 8.2mi Capgemini 1.2mi Centerline Captial Group (formerly Chartemac) 3.9mi Cigna 4.5mi CISCO Citi 3.9 Cognos 3.7mi Commercial Metals 0.9mi Computer Sciences Corp 4.3mi Conference USA 2.4mi CVS Caremark 1.0miDeloitte Consulting 0.6mi Direct Energy 2.6mi EF Johnson Technologies 1.7mi Ernst & Young 1.2mi ExxonMobil 1.3mi Fairchild Semiconductor 3.7mi FedEx 3.7mi First Horizon 3.7mi Flight Safety 6.0mi Flowserve (HQ) 1.2mi Fluor 1.2mi Frito-Lay 8.8mi GE 4.6mi General Motors 2.7mi GLOBAL KNOWLEDGE 2.9mi HD Vest Financial Services 0.6mi HEALTHNET Idearc 1.3mi Kimberly-Clark 3.1mi Kraft Foods 2.5mi Lennar 2.7mi Liberty Mutual 3.4mi MADD 4.4mi MICROSOFT 1.3mi Medco Health Solutions 2.8mi Michael's Store (HQ) 2.4mi Morgan Stanley 3.7mi NEC America 2.5mi Neiman Marcus 1.5mi Nokia 0.1mi Northrop Grumman 4.5mi Oce USA 1.7mi Oracle 2.2mi Paychex 4.3mi Pioneer Natural Resources (HQ) 2.4mi Reliant Energy 3.7mi RIM (Blackerry) 2.9miSAP America 1.2mi SAXON CAPITAL (Saxon Mortgage/Morgan Stanley) Sprint Nextel 4.4mi State Farm Insurance 4.8mi Thomas Group 3.7mi TIAA-CREF 3.9mi Time Warner 2.3mi TXU Energy 0.5mi Unisys 2.2mi United Parcel Service 5.9mi Verizon 1.2mi VHA 2.9mi Wells Fargo 2.5mi Worldwide Flight Services 0.5mi Xerox 4.1miZale Corporation (HQ) 0.9mi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Otel, Tingo and Venere so you can book your NYLO Dallas Las Colinas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.