“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 76 hotels in Irving
Houston, Texas
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

If you have to be away from home, you want to stay in a place like this. You can't beat the quality for the price and the staff is always friendly. Shuttle for the airport, shopping, or to eat makes it awful convenient. Great place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Carrollton, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The room was satisfactory and the location was convenient. Good for business travel. Rooms could be a little fresher, my arrival was late and the room seemed a little stuffy. However, I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I were visiting Dallas for a concert and stayed here at this wonderful hotel. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but never judge a book by its cover. The room we stayed in was approximately $130 a night and wow...was it worth it! It had everything in there and the bed...oh that bed....it was like sleeping on a cloud. So comfortable and warm. Too wonderful for words. Lots of towels in the room and the staff was extremely sweet regardless of the hour. My husband and I are not fancy in the least and we dress like bums and they didn't let off a hint of judgment when we walked in! Everything was wonderful over all EXCEPT the eggs...lol Breakfast was a delight but those eggs are bleh. It was really impressive to see all the foods (hot and cold) available to eat for breakfast, not just a muffin like most places. They have everything from cereal, to waffles, sausage and fruit and of course lots of coffee!
This place is great in every way and I encourage anyone to go by and see for yourself. You will not regret it! :)

• Stayed September 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice recently at the end of q trip to the Dallas area when I had a morning departure to ensure that I wouldn't have any traffic problems.

Rooms are clean, TV reception is good with a decent selection of channels. Hot breakfast with eggs, bacon or sausage, biscuits, gravy, Texas-shaped waffles, good selection of cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit (apples, oranges, and bananas) and some of the tastiest donuts! And it's virtually impossible to run into traffic problems between the hotel and the airport because this hotel is so close to the aiport (it must be the closest one which is not actually on the airport property) that you don't even get on hwy 183. The frontage road just runs right onto the airport property where it merges with the traffic coming from 183.

My only limitation on recommending this hotel is that it is a little restrictive for an airport hotel. The shuttle only runs from 5am until midnight, so if you have an early departure or late arrival then this hotel won't work for you. Also breakfast doesn't start until 6:30am.

If you can't wait for breakfast, there is a 24-hour Whataburger which shares the parking lot with this hotel. Their burgers are good!

Nice feature: they have a couple of washers and dryers for guest use and they cost only $1.50 per load (as of October 2012). For both of my trips, the detergent vending machines were sold out, but the Shell station next door sells single load packets of detergent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Durango, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We chose this motel because we had to catch an early flight. The rate was great, the room was bright and clean, the staff helpful and friendly, and the location was perfect for getting to the rental car return area quickly. Our flight was too early to try breakfast at the motel, but we will book here whenever we travel to the Dallas-Fort Worth area again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Texarkana, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is the hotel that we always stay at when we fly out of DFW. It is so clean and comfortable, it's a hands down decision! The bed is always comfortable, bathroom very clean and the breakfast is one of the best! Staff are very friendly and helpful. They were laying a new laminate floor when we came this time. The only negative was the shuttle picking us up from the airport. We took the hotel stay on the returning side of the trip since our plane landed at 11 p.m. and we didn't want a long drive home at that time of night. We called 3 times for the shuttle and at midnight it came! Other than that, it was a very good experience and we would probably stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here w/ my husband after we were stranded at DFW by American Airlines en route from Cancun to Washington DC. The airline gave us a voucher to stay here and after looking at the reviews on Tripadvisor on the way to the hotel, I was hopeful it wouldn't be a dive. It wasn't a dive but I am surprised by the high reviews. I felt the place was not suitable for anything more than a one-night crash.

- Pros:
- comfortable bed w/ soft, clean linens
- very clean room
- relatively quiet
- microwave and minifridge in room
- free airport shuttle
- free newspaper
- upon checkin, front desk employee displayed an adequate sense of urgency while inprocessing a small crowd of fellow DFW refugees all stranded by the same American Airlines debacle... got us in to our room quickly with a minimum of further aggrivation

- Cons:
- garish decor throughout the hotel... bizarre, tacky knicknacks, mismatched furniture, random crystal chandeliers... did not create a soothing atmosphere
- bad breakfast ... okay, I get it, it's free... but I have had way better free breakfasts at the Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and other similar budget hotels. Nothing fresh in sight; offerings consisted of donuts, industrial bread, cold cereal, obligatory waffle maker, and industrial sausage patty/biscuit/egg patty combo. Probably for the first time in my life did I skip a free hotel breakfast!
- Grumpy shuttle driver... as my husband and I perused the breakfast offerings, he was in the corner of the breakfast area loudly complaining to another employee about how hard he had worked the night before picking up American Airlines refugees and "didn't get one tip..." Well, that's a bummer, but speaking for myself, I had no cash and didn't plan to need to tip anyone that night as I thought I would be at home in my own bed after being picked up by friends at my destination airport. I really didn't need to hear him abusing the guests who were already in a bad situation.

Overall, I was grateful to stay here instead of the airport floor, as I have done before in a similar scenario. However, if I were paying for a room near the airport, this would not be my first choice. I am giving this hotel "3 dots" as it was not excellent, not bad, but average and acceptable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites DFW Airport South? Share your experiences!