“A week long stay at the Element” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #3 of 76 Hotels in Irving
San Antonio, tx
“A week long stay at the Element”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

As part of a work training, I stayed at the Element at the end of January 2014. The stay was extremely comfortable.

Check-in:
I arrived at the Element around 5 pm on a Sunday and was checked in by two very efficient front desk staff. The dolley next to the front desk was much better than the rickety old dolleys you see in old hotels and I was able to get my luggage to my room in a few minutes. My room was in the third floor overlooking the parking lot next to the Subway nearby. The view itself was not that great but that is only to be expected from a hotel so close to the highways and the airport. I did not hear any road noises in the room though.

The Room:
The room was extremely comfortable, functional and equipped for long stays for families. There were plenty of storage space and shelves for a week worth of clothes for my family, who were going to visit me at the end of the week. There was a kitchen area with plenty of plates, silver, pans and dish cleaning supplies. There were stoves as well to make food plus a microwave. The fridge was full size (or close to it). They had a coffee maker as well, that broke in the middle of my stay. I just posted a note for them to replace it and they did it promptly at the next room cleaning. There were lounge sofas opposite to the bed and a desk with storage space for your electrical accessories. There was free wifi, which was pretty strong. The wired ethernet connection was not very operational since the plug kept falling from my computer. The bed was comfortable to sleep on. The bathroom was very modern and I loved the shower. The one thing they could improve upon is the detergent and shampoo dispensers in the shower. The shampoo dispenser would dispense shampoo long after I had used it and that made the area around the dispenser very slippery. Other than that the shower was really good. The toilet seat did seem old and rough. Maybe that can be changed more frequently as well. Other than that the room was perfect for a long stay with families.

Breakfast and evening drinks:
The breakfast was pretty good as well. I'm a vegetarian and so didnt sample the full fare but saw that they had different offerings every day. I loved their smoothies and wish they weren't served in the shot glasses but in a bigger container. Their potatoes were great and the eggs decent. Sometimes they has fruit assortment and sometimes only whole fruits. The one suggestion I have is the salt and pepper dispensers. Though they were nice, it would've been better to have salt and pepper packets since you have to place your plate in the middle of the table to be able to use them while people are milling around.
The evening drinks were a great idea. Since I wasn't much of a drinker, I just sampled their beer and it was pretty good. They had a lot of snack assortments and salads as well. It was a wonderful touch!

Other amenities:
I worked out in the gym a few times during my stay and found it very functional, nice and well kept with enough towels, cleaning supplies and water. There were weights and cardio equipments and was nice and comfortable.
I saw that they had a guest laundry as well but didnt use it. Just the fact that they had one, is a big plus for families that travel with young kids.
Parking was also very easy to find. I saw that they had frequent shuttles to the airport, but since I didn't use them, I couldn't comment much on them.

Nearby:
There was a small shopping mall right next to the hotel with a Subway, an Indian restaurant and a Mexican place plus some other restaurants. There was also a McDonald's at the entrance to the hotel. There were several gas stations next to the hotel and within a 5 mile radius there were several restaurants and big chains like target.

Overall:
I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and professional. The check-in and check-out was quick and the hotel room itself was awesome. I would definitely stay here if I'm in this area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Kevin K, Manager at Element Dallas Fort Worth Airport North, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear krisans,

Thank you so much for your review. We're so pleased that you had a comfortable stay with us and that you were able to enjoy many of our great amenities. We definitely appreciate your feedback on areas for improvement and will try to implement some of those suggestions.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon. Take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Let me start off by saying that there is nothing inherently wrong with this hotel. However, as I am a business traveler, I am writing my review from this perspective.

The location of the hotel is great. Easy access off the highway and far enough away to avoid all the noise. There is a gas station across the street to fill up your rental car and a few eateries in the area, including 24 hour fast food chains.

The staff is pleasant. I always had someone welcoming me when I came back and I received several smiles. However, I did have an incident with housekeeping. My alarm went off at 8:15 AM, I jumped in the shower and at 8:30 AM, I heard several knocks on my door and then it swung open. Needless to say, I put on a little show as I was not yet fully dressed as I went to investigate the incident. When I went out into the hall to get breakfast, the housekeeping lady profusely apologized from the room across the hall from mine. I can take i in good stride, but that seems very early to start cleaning up rooms with a 12:00 PM check-out time. I mentioned it to the front desk and they confirmed that I was set to check-out later today. I can understand the need to put out the door hangar if you are staying past 9:30 AM, but I was surprised that the rounds were being made so early.

The decor of the hotel seemed very cheap. You know how big box stores have "luxury" collections in the decor department? This hotel has ordered pages 100 - 150 in the catalogue. It has that faux upscale quality to it made popular by our friends at IKEA. Walking to your room, they have landscaping of pebbles like you would find near a swimming pool adoring the walkway with fake plants to give an accent. It sort of feels like an inside out motel with better furnishings. There is a nice outside patio to relax but no scenery to speak of.

Then, there's the rooms. The rooms are a nice size and the bed is terrific. The bathroom is modern and has plenty of room to maneuver. But the room itself just feels so out of place. It is set up as an extended stay with a full size fridge, a stove burner, a dishwasher and a sink. What's puzzling is why? We are a few miles from the airport and at least 8 miles from anything resembling a true business area. Who is going to go grocery shopping and cook in their room? This is the kind of setup that you covet for a family vacation. I have to believe that the hotel is designed for travelers desiring to stay near the airport as evidenced by the free shuttles to and from. There is a couch in the room across from the bed to complete the sense of a studio apartment with a 32" TV pivoting on a shelf. I would much prefer that there be 2 different areas so that I can have space to work from my room and perhaps watch a little TV before I go to sleep. Wall outlets are also scare and almost completely used up by the lamps placed in the rooms. If you plug in your tablet or phone, you have just enough slack to reach the nightstand but not enough to extend on to the bed to work on it.

Breakfast is your normal fare with hot items changed out daily. Wifi is very fast and free throughout the hotel. I wanted a soda after a long evening working and a can cost me $2.00 from the gift shop as there was no vending machine to speak of. I understand the convenience charge, but this seems a little excessive. Even the airport will give you a full bottle of soda for that price and they have a monopoly on it post-security. I didn't check the prices on the various frozen goods that they offer, which I assume would cost you more than ordering out.

I am a buyer for roadtrips with my family if the price is reasonable. But, for business class travel, this just doesn't cut the mustard. I want to come back to my room and relax a bit before I start winding down my workday, not hurdle oddly placed furniture to cram on a small strip of wood used as a desk.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Laura M, Director of Sales at Element Dallas Fort Worth Airport North, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Spankytoes, so sorry to hear that you were not blown away with our inclusive amenities and exceptional staff. We strive to maintain our #1 status with TripAdvisor so your feedback was reviewed with the entire staff in our Operations Meeting today and what we could have done differently to assure that the Element is your top choice in the area. We all regret the morning interruption, the housekeeping staff is trained to knock then enter suites if the "do not disturb" signage is not displayed on the door. Our suites take longer to clean than a standard hotel room and the housekeeping staff typically begins their day at 8am. We are truly sorry and we will definitely provide additional training to assure that we allow our guests time to respond prior to entering. The Element by Westin is a green hotel, built from the ground up with recycled, environmentally sustainable materials. These products cost much more than standard materials in our effort to conserve the environment. The Element is an all suite property built not only for business travel but extended stay guests. Many of our guests are on projects or long term assignments and many do prepare food in their suites, along with taking advantage of our full breakfast, "Rise" & evening "Relax" reception, where complimentary beer, wine and light meal are provided, Mon-Thurs. 5:30-7pm. Your description of your suite sounds like you were in a Studio Suite. We have a one bedroom suite where the bedroom is separate from the living area allowing more space. You won't find vending machines in an Element, as we provide items in our "Restore" that may be prepared in your guest suite an ice-maker in your full size refrigerator. Our water is filtered so you can save money and the environment by not purchasing bottled water and we also provide complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby. Additionally we are within walking distance of 17 restaurants & also provide a 24 hour shuttle to local groceries, dining and shopping, local businesses and the airport. We recognize that our guests have many choices in the market & your feedback is appreciated. We hope you will give the Element DFW North another shot whether it be for business, extended stay or leisure travel.
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have never stayed at an Element by Westin before and I have to say this was a great hotel! In town for business, there is so much in that area that I have stayed at and this was a gem. In a great spot for restaurants and shopping and the shuttle goes withing 5 miles. Staff was really great! Friendly, helpful, informative and the breakfast and evening reception were perfect! When in that area again would definitely stay. The room layout is perfect if you are going to be there a long time but even just a couple nights it's very comfortable and functional!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Laura M, Director of Sales at Element Dallas Fort Worth Airport North, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience with TripAdvisor! We know everyone is juggling so much these dates and your glowing report reminds us all, why we do what we do! We look forward to seeing you again, soon.
Newtown, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Wonderful surprise for an easy airport access hotel. Modern, CLEAN, outstanding room with kitchen, spa bathroom, and sofa's for reasonable price during the holiday travel season. Highly recommend to all travelers- business or pleasure. Will definitely be back next time I have early flight out of DFW.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. Thrilled that you had a great feedback. Next time plan to stay awhile, there is much going on in the area!
Okemos, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Located near airport. Lots of take-out and simple restaurants nearby as well as convenience stores. Rooms are studio units with full refrigerators, stove top dishwasher and all equipment. Great for an extended stay. Decorated in simple, modern furnishings. Clean and comfortable. Breakfast and cocktail hour included. Breakfast has healthy choices. I would come back.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Laura M, Director of Sales at Element Dallas Fort Worth Airport North, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Lawflake, we are thrilled that you were able to experience the Element! In addition to the room type you describe we also have one bedroom suites with a separate living room and bedroom. We hope to see you back soon and convert your 4 star to a 5! Thank you for taking time to write us the great review!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I just spent a week here and I don't want to leave. The facilities are top-notch but is the warm staff that is the reason I'm coming back to stay next week. Sonia, Ms. Gwen, Xylana, Yolanda, Illeana, Rico, and Raymond made my stay fabulous.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Laura M, Director of Sales at Element Dallas Fort Worth Airport North, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dawn G, I think your recommendation is the best of all time! We would be the top hotel in all the land if no body every wanted to leave! Thanks for acknowledging our fab staff who take such great care of our customers. We hope to see you again, soon and thank you for the fantastic review!
Lutz, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

This place is perfect for my needs when I travel to Dallas. Clean, modern and fantastic service from the staff. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. Everything looks new and super clean. Additionally, they have a very nice free breakfast buffet set up each morning as well as free beer and wine in the evening. The entire place is very well manicured, and there plenty of restaurants, as well as grocery and gas nearby. If you need to commute downtown, it's a little bit of a drive in that crazy Dallas traffic, but it is perfect for me in it's proximity to DFW. I would desperately love to give this place 5 stars, however they just recently raised their rates, and the value is just not there anymore. I still travel to Dallas once a month, but unfortunately I will not be staying here in the future. The new rates are just too exorbitant for a business traveler on a budget. I can stay at the Wyndham Dallas Suites - Park Central for less. Goodbye Element DFW, I'll miss you!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
TLozano, Starwood Hotels and Resorts at Element Dallas Fort Worth Airport North, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Jonathan A,

Thank you for your positive feedback and for your loyalty. I am so glad you have enjoyed your accommodations as well as our amenities. We hope you choose to stay with us again whether it is for business or pleasure.

Been to Element Dallas Fort Worth Airport North? Share your experiences!