“Worst customer service ever in a Starwood property” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #34 of 76 Hotels in Irving
Detroit
“Worst customer service ever in a Starwood property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have been a W Hotel patron since 1999. I chose the Las Colinas property because of the brand name, and my past experiences have always been great. I utilized my room at the aloft as a working location in the Dallas area. The room, housekeeping staff, and lobby bar staff all met or exceeded my expectations. My business was extended and I called the front desk to see if there was a problem extending my stay one day. I was told that there was no availability. I pack my things, book a reservation at another Starwood property, and prepare to leave. I received two subsequent phone calls to my room notifying me that I could indeed stay the additional requested day. I unpack, cancel the reservation, and resume my working day. I received a call three hours later from the front desk informing me that she made a mistake and I would have to vacate the room immediately, or be charged for a day that I wouldn't be able to use. I'm peeved, contact my client and inform them that I would be unavailable for the next few hours, attempt to stop a major payroll data validation process, attempt to reset my previously canceled reservation,(of course they were sold out) and pack. I contact the front desk for assistance with information on other Starwood properties and received nothing but a cavalier attitude and a suggestion to call a nearby Marriott or a Sheraton downtown.

In my opinion, this woman was not well trained to use the hotel room reservation system. The woman displayed has limited experience with business travelers, generic customer service, and common courtesy. One would chalk this up to a set of isolated incidents, but my colleague who checked out the previous Sunday, received the same gruff, yet uninformed attitude when asking about a late checkout. She checked in after 10pm and wanted to go to Sunday brunch without her luggage and was told she'd be charged an extra day if she didn't "vacate" the room by 1pm.

I have three client locations all within a seven minute drive from the aloft Las Colinas. This last trip was the first time I left an Aloft/W hotel unhappy and taught me a lesson that location isn't everything.

Train your staff. Saying the words, "I don't know" or "No" is more palatable than having a guest spend money acting on a guess or an outright lie.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at aloft Las Colinas, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
I must apologize for the confusion and frustration you experienced on the day of your departure, this certainly does not reflect the level of service and satisfaction we strive to deliver. Your review is very much appreciated and I will be using it as a training tool to help ensure this scenario does not repeat itself. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if I can ever be of assistance, I would welcome the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

I was covering the Barcelona - Club America match at Cowboys Stadium in August 2011 and chose to stay at the aLoft since it was one of the nicer, better value hotels close to Cowboys Stadium. Thankfully it isn't in the crowded Arlington area, but the drive there was easy. A plus is that the hotel is located next to a retail complex with several decent places to eat.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at aloft Las Colinas, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
We are happy to hear that our location and nearby amenities made your stay with us an enjoyable one . . . many of our guests are in town for events at Cowboy's Stadium, The American Airlines Center and other nearby venues. We hope to see you again soon!
Norman, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

If you haven't stayed in an Aloft, it's non-traditional and very contemporary in many senses. But this one was clean and comfortable ... with the notable exception of the pillows. I was in a double-double so I took all four pillows that were provided to fashion together something I could use. Then I had a very good night's sleep and stay. My only other concern is that the fact that only one person was manning the desk at check-in and check-out so there was a wait.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at aloft Las Colinas, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for staying and for taking a moment to review us. You will be happy to hear that we have increased the number of pillows in each of our lofts, so your next stay will be even more enjoyable. Your feedback was a contributing factor in our decision to make this change, so thanks again!
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Aloft has a very trendy feel to it which my 18 year old son really liked. The room was clean and the beds comfortable, the pillows not so much. The food in their breakfast area is super expensive and the muffins terrible so I wouldn't plan on eating there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at aloft Las Colinas, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us, I am happy to hear you and your son enjoyed our atmosphere! Please try one of our foam pillows the next time you visit, they tend to provide more support than those made of down and are also my preference when traveling. It does not sound as though our breakfast was what you were looking for, I do hope you visited one of the eateries we share a parking lot with to get your day started off right! Safe travels!
Edmond, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed one night before our flight out on vacation. We had not planned on staying the night, but did last minute and pricelined a hotel and got this. We like the Las Colinas area as its close to the airport.
The hotel is looks great from the outside, and has a fun vibe inside. The rooms were very modern, and we really enjoyed them. Loved the bathroom/shower area as well. We didn't have much time to enjoy the bar area that was rocking pretty good, but we saw enough to say we wouldn't have a problem coming back and staying a weekend here when we come back to big D in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at aloft Las Colinas, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with us prior to your flight out, we actually have many guests who find us a very convenient option the night before they fly out of DFW or Love Field. I am so glad to hear you found us pleasantly surprising and hope you will visit us again soon! Safe travels!
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I travel quite a bit for work and I found this hotel to be "quite interesting". My first impression was the neon lights on the outside and once through the lobby doors it's like "Studio 54". I was a little taken by the loud music at 10:30pm, but once in my room it was complete silence. I will warn you that the showers are not the cleannest. I left my croc's and ended up throwing a towel down on the shower floor. Some of the rooms vanity lights were out and the hotel is providing desk lamps for lighting. Won't work for a lady. I ended up moving into another room and the light worked, but the shower was still in need of cleaning. Beds were comfortable and the AC was great. Just take your shower shoes. Like the fact that the tv's are mounted on the exterior wall of the hotel and not the interior to cut down on noise.

Not sure if this W theme is for all travelers, but the young at heart it's great.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at aloft Las Colinas, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Thank you for taking a moment to provide some valuable feedback about your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear you found your room quiet and the temperature comfortable. As you now know, our guests really seem to enjoy the 42" TV's we have mounted on our exterior walls. I must apologize for any inconvenience you experienced as we updated our vanity light fixtures, rest assured all work has been completed. Please know that your concerns regarding the shower floor will be investigated and remedied immediately, this is both surprising and unacceptable. Thanks again for visiting and for your feedback.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

This small hotel had everything we needed, including a great price and a convenient location. Pool? Check. Bar? Check. Spa and salon within walking distance? Check and check. Our mattress was comfy, the shower was large, our room was quiet, and the AC worked like a champ... and we were there during triple digit weather. The electronics do turn off when you leave the room (which I appreciate) so if you return several hours later, it will take time to cool down - it's Texas. There's no formal dining room, but you can grab all the fruit you want for free and run out the door. The airline check-in kiosk worked great for us - conveniently located by the front door. The employees were also very accessible and helpful. We had a complicated schedule that weekend, so we were always in a hurry, and this hotel's size and amenities made life easier.

Room Tip: Pick a side not facing the highway.