“Definitely not a Hilton Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree DFW Airport North

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree DFW Airport North to your Saves list
DoubleTree DFW Airport North
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4441 W John Carpenter Freeway, Irving, TX 75063 (Formerly Wyndham DFW Airport North)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
HHonors Weekend
Ranked #51 of 76 Hotels in Irving
Murphy, Texas
“Definitely not a Hilton Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here for a night. After reading the reviews here, I think I already knew what to expect. There is good and not so good. The reception was extremely warm and friendly when we checked in. The warm cookies were a bonus. The pool turned out to be okay and we did spend some time. We got a room adjacent to the pool. The sliding door opened to the courtyard and the pool was only few steps away. The beds were good and clean. The MW and Ref. in the room always help. The coffee/tea (along with the maker) were all good quality.

The furniture is good, tho' the cheap armchair had a lot of wrinkles and tears.

Now the not to good: As others have said in the reviews, this hotel has walls which are paper thin. If you have come here to have a calm, restful night you can forget about it. You will be surrounded with nosie; from the other rooms, from the corridors, the showers and flush from other rooms (so loud it feels like some one is using the bathroom in the room itself), and for us from the pool. We could hear the TV and people talking almost all night, and it was so that I had to reduce the room the temp. and have the AC run frequently to hide the noise. The AC is efficient but extremely loud, which actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise for us. If they do care for guests, they need to insulate and make it sound proof. The noise around woke up my kids in the wee hours of the morning.

The pool hours are supposed to be until 10 PM, but guests were splashing around and talking even after 12 in the night and then again early in the morning. No rules, no one watches, and of course no sleep for those who want to rest.

The carpets are stained, and old. Wo knows for how long they have been around. The bathroom is Super 8 quality or even worse. Really tiny, and dirty tiles and awefully stained grout and also a door that would not lock right. Thank God we were there only for a night, so we all skipped showering. Just could not get ourselves to get it there. The curved shower rods and good towels are of no use in that bathroom.

The walls are cheap, really cheap. Tearing old and stained wall papers are not what Hilton should be offering. I have no idea how it is even a Hilton and this in fact is the worst Hilton property we ever stepped into,

The management really needs to read these reviews and start working for real to bring it up to the same level of other Doubletree Hotels. Such a shame! Some good fresh wall paint, new carpet, and remodelling of the bathrooms will have half the work done to change the look of this place. Is that too much to ask from Hilton??

But you get only what you pay for. I would have have much more to complain if I did not book this place with Hotwire for less than 50 bucks for a night. To pay full price at the name of Hilton and walk into this place is absurd. Will I stay here again? NOPE!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
LAWRENCE W, General Manager at DoubleTree DFW Airport North, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Junar01,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of your bathroom. We try to be very vigilant in this area because we know how important it is for our guests. Based upon your review, we are actively working with our housekeeping staff so this situation doesn’t happen again. We also want to apologize for the noise waking up your children; we are looking into this situation based on complaints like yours. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you’ll consider staying with us again.

Lawrence Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Flagstaff, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

So I stayed here on 7/19/12. Two main problems with the hotel. One, the walls are very thin. I could clearly hear the person nextdoor watching CNN until 0100. Then when I got up in the morning something had backed up into the shower while I was sleeping. Don't know, don't want to know. I told the front desk about it and the clerk just shrugged. Ok, well being a good Hilton Honors diamond member I did what any good member would do. I canceled my stay there that I had scheduled for 7/24/2012 and slept in the DFW airport.

Sleeping in the airport is a better experience then this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
LAWRENCE W, General Manager at DoubleTree DFW Airport North, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Colpuck,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our hotel. We apologize for the odor you encountered during your stay, and we’re taking steps to make sure it won’t happen again. We know that travel can be stressful, and we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We’re glad our hotel staff was able to provide you a quality customer service experience.

Owasso, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

First I will start with Pros of hotel to be fair then get into the cons.
Pros:
1. Excellent outdoor pool, clean functional chairs and tables w/umbrellas,nicely lit up at night.
2. Good Air Conditioning, kept room comfortable despite 100+ temps outside, however it is a very noisy AC. Like a jet engine. Low roar.
3. Bed very comfortable. Linens smelled clean. Pillows were lumpy and feather, but I always bring my own.

Cons:
1. Filthy carpet. Stained everywhere. Felt sticky when walking in socks (no way was I going barefoot!!) See picture for yourself.
2. HORRIBLE bathtub. The finish is shot...full of wear and tear. Looks dirty and well used and ICK!!! Needs to be refinished or replaced.
3. First am,found out Coffee maker in room was broken. Called desk...replacement will be "right up Ma'am"...45 mins later, called again..."will send it right up Ma'am"....Nope.....finally went downstairs to desk (angry now due to lack of caffeine) and told "We'll send it right up"...NOPE!! Called desk again..same song and dance with NO COFFEE MAKER BROUGHT TO ROOM. Found maid cleaning a room and traded out for one that worked. Sorry next guest, hope you have better luck.
4. Customer Service is an F. Told front desk about dirty stained carpet etc...was told "most rooms are like that but I can move you if you want". Ordered strawberries and fruit/cheese tray..after 3 phone calls and 1 trip to desk over the course of 2 hours...did not get them. Visited Ricardo (manager) at desk, explained all the above and he offered me a free breakfast. Not good enough in my book as there was no better room to move to and I was irritated that my vacation had not begun. He asked me not to check out of hotel and said he would not charge me for that night stay (we stayed two nights). Did not expect that but was happy he took my complaints seriously. To his credit, he sent us the strawberry and cheese/fruit tray anyway with no charge. Nice touch.
Overall, there are tons of hotels in this area, just my opinion,stay somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
From OK,

I’m glad you were able to enjoy our comfortable clean beds and chill out by our pool! However, I’m sorry you encountered housekeeping problems. Dirty rooms and hallways are absolutely not typical at our hotel, and we appreciate that you brought this to our attention. I’ve spoken with the front desk and housekeeping staff to take care of the carpets as well as replacing any insufficient amenities. I have discussed this situation with our staff; in depth to make every effort to be sure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. Thanks for giving Ricardo a shout out! I’ll be sure to give him your feedback! Please give us a second chance if you visit our area in the future.

atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Im not sure where to start....I'll start by saying I have asthma and I am highly allergic and sensitive to odor. The hotel looks like an old motel with a Double tree sign on the building.The first room we had was118 so musty I couldn't even walk all the way in. There appeared to be water damage on the wall next to the door. The second room 133 that had the smell of mold. I returned to the front desk requesting yet another room and was told that they have never had any complaints about the smell before. I said just because no one has reported it to you does not mean the problem does not exist. I was moved to 278;that room had visible mold in the bathroom shower,the bed and pillow linen was dirty. The rug was nasty and lets not talk about the air filter that had dust as thick as the lint tray in my dryer after several loads. Luis was great he came and scrubbed the shower walls down,bleached the walls and changed the linen for me. He was very helpful. Maintenance came and changed the filter and apologized for the neglect on the behalf of his staff stating that the filters are supposed to be cleaned very 3 months. I received a call from the front desk offering to move me to another room after Luis cleaned everything. I said I wouldn't feel right moving after Luis has done so much to make the room presentable. The front desk clerk said she walked the two previous rooms and stated "the smell you are referring to isn't mold its just a foul odor" Really???? Just a foul odor huh? Okay.. anyway I agreed to take a look at the room they claim they did a pre check on for me. As soon as Luis opened the door the smell of Fabreez hit me like a ton of bricks with a under tone of mildew. I told Luis I could not be fooled like those people on the Fabreez commercials. He laughed. I told him I planned on keeping in the room he has but so much effort into cleaning for me. The staff is great the hotel stinks literally!!!

Room Tip: Do not buy a Hot Rate!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
LAWRENCE W, General Manager at DoubleTree DFW Airport North, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Rondamatt,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey about our hotel. Please allow me to apologize for your very unpleasant experience. We take all guest health concerns very seriously and strive to provide accommodations that are free of such items mentioned in your survey. We have taken the rooms those rooms out of service to make the necessary repairs. We hope that when you travel back to the area you’ll give us another chance.

Kind Regards,

Killeen, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The hotel itself looked fine with a nice pool area, the lobby looked decent upon walking in there for the first time. I had booked the executive level room that includes breakfast, the gentleman at check in didn't give me my breakfast vouchers until I asked for them. Also I was then informed that there won't be a managers reception on the weekends which was one reason I booked this hotel over the Embassy I usually book. I was also under the impression the executive level would be a suite not a tiny room. When I got to the room, I had every intention to make it work. I had read mixed reviews about this hotel before booking it but I wanted to remain positive, however, I was completely disappointed. The room had very low ceilings and felt like a prison cell. The carpet was very stained. The bedskirt and linen were stained. The bed didn't smell nice, I'm not sure if they were washed. I was grossed out so I went back to the check in counter to ask if all rooms look like that. The lady said yes and said she'll check me out. I said check me out? Yes she'll check me out. Ok I said then I guess I won't be staying here tonight. I opted for the Westin across the street, got an outstanding rate on www.hotels.com with free wifi, free breakfast buffet and free parking... and the breakfast buffet was the best hotel breakfast I've ever had. Best sleep I ever got at a hotel, wonderful clean room with super comfortable bed across at the Westin... Also, Doubletree's stupid cookie is advertised everywhere... there was NO cookie... advertised on TV commercials as well as in all the brochures even in the hotel rooms it mentions that they welcome every guest with a cookie.

Room Tip: Spend $30 more and book Westin across the street, it's worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jean2407

We are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent trip. Thank you for your feedback. At our hotel, we never want our guest to leave for another property for any reason. We have shared your comments with our front office, and our housekeeping team. We hope that when you travel back to the area you’ll give us another chance.

Kind Regards,

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on business a week ago.  The initial part of my stay was ok.  The room was clean except for the carpet being pretty old and worn, and the food was pretty good by hotel standards.  I had access to the Hilton Honors lounge which was supposed to have continental breakfast in the mornings and appetizers/drinks from 5-7 in the afternoon.  The breakfast was nice, and the coffee was hot but the afternoons were a bust.  Each of the 4 days I arrived by 6:00 to find all of the appetizers completely gone and was told there weren't any more to put out.  That was frustrating but not the deal breaker.  I checked out on Friday expecting to fly home but after a few afternoon storms and 4 hours at the airport my flight was cancelled and rebooked for the next day.  I immediately called this Doubletree (since I knew exactly where it was and how to get there) and the gentleman who answered said they were sold out.  Fair enough - I knew there were about 50 other flights that were cancelled so I got in the Hilton website to find the next closest hotel and not only did this hotel have rooms available but they were at a discounted rate of $75 per night.  I passed it off as a mistake by the gentleman on the phone and booked the room.  While standing in line to check in, I witnessed the manager answer the phone at least 6 times and tell whomever was calling that they were sold out, but 5 minutes later told a couple that appeared to have just walked in that they had "plenty of rooms".   I wonder how common this practice is and I'm not sure I will stay here again because of it.

• Stayed July 2012
LAWRENCE W, General Manager at DoubleTree DFW Airport North, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
A1ManWolfpack,

We are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent trip. Thank you for your flexibility and your review. At our hotel, we hate to turn away guests for any reason. We have shared your comments with our front office, and we’re evaluating our policies and procedures. We hope that when you travel back to the area you’ll give us another chance.

Port Arthur, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

For the price it was OK. Got a great deal on priceline. If I had paid their regular rate I would be ticked. 1st floor rooms open to the pool awesome. Didn't experience bed bugs like the other traveler said, thank the lord. The shuttle was not available to take us anywhere but to the airport, or so the front desk lady reported. Parking was available and free. Carpet in room was never vacuumed prior to or during our stay. There is still a nasty goldfish cracker still under the dresser. Carpet in room needs shampooing it was disgusting. Bathtub has chipped interior and the drain took forever to drain, reported and they did fix, although the drain still was slow. Front desk guy at night told me they had detergent in machines in the laundry room only for me to find out that they didn't and go back to 1st floor to get detergent and change to wash. Didn't try the restaurant although prices looked reasonably. It was OK but for Hilton brand u would expect more. If u like the best this isn't it. If u just want a days inn, comfort inn, laqunita with a full restaurant u got it!

Room Tip: Get a 1st floor room for pool access
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
LAWRENCE W, General Manager at DoubleTree DFW Airport North, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear Robin Carter44,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of your guest room. We try to be very vigilant in this area because we know how important it is for our guests. Based upon your review, we are actively working with our housekeeping staff so this situation doesn’t happen again. We have housekeeping best practices and they have all been reminded of our cleanliness standards. I’ve spoken to front desk about the laundry detergent and made sure that staff stays on top of keeping all supplies well stocked. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you’ll give us another chance.

Lawrence Williams

Been to DoubleTree DFW Airport North? Share your experiences!