“Enjoyable except the bed” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Irving
Irving, Texas
“Enjoyable except the bed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have stayed two nights at the Westin DFW as an impromptu hometown vacation with my husband and daughter. Our stay started interestingly right off the bat as the original reservation the H made was accidentally for the wrong day (Sunday night) instead of Saturday, and as it was a special deal it could not be changed. Luckily, there was a room available for Saturday night as well and the front manager was able to find us a very good rate for that too. We were also able to combine the two reservations so we could stay in the same room. We requested a high-up room as our 3-year-old wanted to see the lights, and got one on the 14th floor. The double queen room was roomy, well-arranged and clean. I immediately claimed the little chaise by the window for my reading/laptop needs...In retrospect, a little lapdesk would have been convenient if it was included with the usual business amenities that are in guestrooms these days, but I managed without it. The workdesk in the room that my husband used for his laptop was thoughtfully laid out, and the vertical/raised plug in it was ingenious. I liked the bathroom shelf/sink with its open shelves--this is one of then larger bathrooms I've seen recently in hotels. The double showerhead was excellent--wish they had that in more chain hotels.

The beds, unfortunately, were not very comfy for me and the Husband, although my daughter loved it. For us, used to firm matresses, the pillowtop was lumpy, uneven and hard to find a good solid spot to support our spine/back. The bedding was excellent, though, soft and luxurious high-count cotton. Still, we had two relatively bad nights, so in case someone doesn't care for soft pillowtop mattresses, that is something to consider.

The foyers/corridors can get a mite echo-y and noisy--there was a party Saturday night on our floor and we could hear every time they cheered for something. At 130am, that's not the best thing, but you learn to ive with that stuff if you travel a lot. Not much noise gets in from the outside, though; due to the airport proximity, they noiseproofed the windows, and the curtains are practically sound-and lightblocking as well.

We had the buffet breakfast Sunday morning and it was very good, with custom-made omelette for the Husband included, and chocolate milk for my daughter, to her great delight. The fruit selection was excellent, and they had unsweetened plain yogurt to go with it, which was excellent and a fine touch in the otherwise standard fare.

Someone, however, needs to pay attention to the Starbucks in the lobby. The drip coffee we had Monday morning was absolutely one of the worst I've ever had even considering gas stations. I'm not sure if they just didn't wash the urn out for a while or just brewed on top of last night's stuff but it was vile beyond description. My daugher liked her cherry pastry and milk, but H and I had a hard time coming to terms with that concoction.

We used the hotel restaurant for dinner Sunday night: while not particularly remarkable, it was huge portions. In my chicken Florentine you could actually taste the ingredients, which is always a plus, instead of an overwhelming amount of salt and overcooked mush. Their kid-size hamburger is what goes for normal size at other places, so just a fair warning. The creme brulee I had for desert was smooth and creamy, with the real-vanilla specks in the creme, the caramel on top a bit too hard, but that is easy to do with those torches being held just a second too long. H had a spinach salad with fresh fruits, the raspberry vinaigrette served on the side to taste--he said it was a bit too sweet, but tasty. His cheesecake was large, but very average.

Overall it was a good experience, very relaxing- now if they could only fix those beds!

Room Tip: High floors have a nice view of the metroplex lights and less noise from the parking lot. Queen beds...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Jeremy B, General Manager at The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
I appreciate the time that you have taken to write such a detailed review of the hotel and our services. Thank you for sharing so much valuable information. It is important to us to deliver on our promise to our guests to leave refreshed and renewed. I regret that there were experiences in your stay that did not fufill our promise. Thank you for sharing them so that we may address the occurences as a team and better ourselves for you and our future guests. I only wish that I had known of the details during your stay as well so that I could have resolved them for you right away. Again, thank you and be well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed for 1 night so didn't take advantage of all of the amenities but I was pleased with this Westin. The bed was in fact, heavenly and the basic room was roomy and clean. I was on the 5th floor and even though I was in the middle, the room was quiet. The room had the usual Starbucks coffee set up and flat screen TV. The only gripe I have about this "airport hotel" is that it is somewhat of a drive from the airport. It took over 15 minutes for the driver to get to the airport to pick me up and then it was roughly a 10 minute ride with no traffic. My idea of an airport hotel is one within eye site of the airport...less than 5 min drive. Other than that, it was a great stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Yorba Linda, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My daughters and I stayed here for one night after Thanksgiving since we had an early morning flight to LAX. The valet was not welcoming at all and seemed put out when I asked to park out front for a couple of minutes while I checked in and took my bags to the room. The self parking lot was dark and as three females traveling alone, I prefered not to park in a darkened area for check in. The check in was quick and efficient and I was given a complimentary upgrade to a bigger room, which was very much appreciated. the room itself was clean and well appointed. The bathroom had two shower heads (loved that), the bed linens and the bed itself were heavanly and the room had a great sitting area with a small couch. When my older daughter and I returned the rental car we waited about twenty five minutes for the shuttle to pick us up at the terminal to go back to the hotel. It was freezing outside so it seemed much longer and when I called the operator?/front desk? he told me to call when I got to the terminal. My advice is to call when you return the car as the car rental shuttle back to the terminal is pretty fast and that way you won't wait so long for the hotel shuttle to get you. Once back at the hotel my younger daughter stayed in the room while my older daughter and I went to get a bite to eat. The host at the restaurant was great, but that's where it ended. The server forgot our silverware, a glass of wine I ordered and the menu I asked for to get my younger daughter something to go. She looked like she disliked her job and pretty much ignored us. When my meal came the ranch dressing tasted like it had soured and my daughter found several hairs in her french onion soup. At this point we both stopped eating and asked for the manager. To her credit the manager was very apologetic and offered to get us something else but at this point our appetite was gone. She did very thoughtfully send an apology card, assorted snacks and a meal for my younger daughter. I appreciated her gesture since it was late and at that point we were all a little tired and cranky. To be fair, I would definately stay there again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Upgradeto a corner suite seems worth it even if they charge since the room was much larger than stan...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel and more specifically the experience that you had with our restaurant. I am glad the manager was able to know of your experience and address some of the disappointments. I am happy that you are willing to give us another opportunity to regain your trust. Please know that we consider the events of your experience very serious and I will follow up with our team members immediately. Be well.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I were in Dallas over the Thanksgiving holiday and stayed at the Westin DFW Airport location. I will not stay and this hotel again and recommend that you reconsider if you are planning a stay. This particular property should not be considered a Westin; it is not the typical Westin standard on any level.
The rooms are dark and smelly and the furnishing is in poor condition. Paint and wallpaper are peeling off the walls in both the main areas and the bathrooms.
We were upgraded because of several unfortunate mistakes during our first night’s stay (one of 2 nights). The room itself had a bad odor and overlooks a Denny’s and a local main highway! Upon our return for the evening we noted that the hotel (on an off weekend) had limited parking. That is because THEY OFFER LONG TERM PARKING FOR THE AIRPORT! The Westin!!!! We were paying guest and could not find a parking space valet or otherwise and parking is $16 to self park.
Needless to say we were offered upgraded accommodations, the junior suite. The room was just as filthy and smelly as the room we left, the shower would not work, and most importantly...THE BED WAS NOT HEAVENLY!!!! Never again.
Breakfast was adequate, again nothing significant. I would not recommend this hotel. Depending on your expectations, you will likely be most disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jeremy B, General Manager at The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I do apologize for what was obviously not our best effort. We take great pride in knowing that the vast majority of our guests leave our hotel 100% satisfied and I apologize that we missed the mark in your case. We take feedback like this very seriously and work to ensure that these types of events are not repeated for the next guest. Thank you again and I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to regain your trust the next time your travels bring you to the DFW area. I am sure that you would find that this was the exception not the rule.
Thank you for you feedback. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for this experience in our hotel. Our staff of dedicated hospitality professionals works hard each and every day to ensure that the guest experience in our hotel is a refreshing and renewing one. Clearly we disappointed in your instance. As this is certainly not the standard in which we have set or aspire to exceed I want to thank you for bringing this to our attention. You have my commitment that you will not find this type of condition should you allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night to attend a Cowboy's game. Not as close to stadium as I thought, but definitely doable ($50 cab ride). Room was very nice and comfy. Breakfast in the morning was wonderful!! The omelet chef was so nice!! Great hotel if you need to stay close to airport area. If going to stadium or local sights, a rental car is a must!

• Stayed December 2012
Columbus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I spent a week there on business recently, including business meetings with catered lunches. The food was surprisingly good - much better than I expected for a hotel/conference room set up. Breakfasts in the dining room were very fast, with custom eggs and waffles, and a large variety of offerings. Room service was fast and accurate.

The staff was consistently pleasant. I was able to get restaurant recommendations and directions for evening meals very easily. I got quick service whenever I had a request.

My room was clean and comfortable. The faucet in the shower is a little tricky - you get some water simply by truning it, but for full pressure, you must pull out. It took me a couple of days to realize this, which meant I had 2 showers with cruddy water pressure.

Valet parking is available, and the parking lot is set up to make you think this is the only option. Off the highway, you can only enter the parking lot in one way, and the only way past is thru valet parking. Just ignore them and drive thru to the lot.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the third floor in the front of the hotel - noise from the bar and from people...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at the Westin DFW for 8 months from January 2012 - August 2012 for business. I have stayed at dozens of hotels across the country, but this hotel was the most pleasant experience I have ever had. I am a consultant who had a project in the DFW area and I actually looked forward to travelling to Dallas every week because of this hotel.

This hotel has all of the amenities that a Westin has (and more), but the staff is incredible. They take a keen interest in serving the needs of their guests. Examples of this are endless. I have several dietary restrictions, for instance, and the staff would go out of their way to prepare something off their menu at the restaurant or for room service regularly. I also preferred staying in a particular room and the staff was always accommodating enough to place me in the same room every week. Throughout my eight month stay, I accidentally left many possessions at the hotel a couple of times. From my iPad and my house keys to clothes, the staff took great care of my belongings and I never had to worry about losing anything.

You might be thinking that they took care of me so well because of the length of my stay. However, I was part of a project with 50 colleagues and we all have had similar experiences at the Westin regardless of how many nights we stayed. I had the best sleep ever and woke up fully refreshed every morning. The main thing I look for is convenience when travelling for work and the hotel made my life so much easier. I also tried different hotels in the area for a few nights here and there, but I always regretted it in the end. Other hotels such as the Marriott, Hilton and even the W in downtown do not compare. I felt truly at home here.

This hotel is truly amazing and I would certainly recommend staying here whether you are travelling for business or pleasure. The Manager, Laura Garland, is wonderful along with the rest of the staff. I have very rarely come across such levels of hospitality and will definitely stay here again on my next trip!

Room Tip: The Westin DFW has "Workout Rooms" which are rooms with gym equipment (treadmill and a set...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport? Share your experiences!