“Very good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 76 Hotels in Irving
Columbus
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I spent a week there on business recently, including business meetings with catered lunches. The food was surprisingly good - much better than I expected for a hotel/conference room set up. Breakfasts in the dining room were very fast, with custom eggs and waffles, and a large variety of offerings. Room service was fast and accurate.

The staff was consistently pleasant. I was able to get restaurant recommendations and directions for evening meals very easily. I got quick service whenever I had a request.

My room was clean and comfortable. The faucet in the shower is a little tricky - you get some water simply by truning it, but for full pressure, you must pull out. It took me a couple of days to realize this, which meant I had 2 showers with cruddy water pressure.

Valet parking is available, and the parking lot is set up to make you think this is the only option. Off the highway, you can only enter the parking lot in one way, and the only way past is thru valet parking. Just ignore them and drive thru to the lot.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the third floor in the front of the hotel - noise from the bar and from people...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at the Westin DFW for 8 months from January 2012 - August 2012 for business. I have stayed at dozens of hotels across the country, but this hotel was the most pleasant experience I have ever had. I am a consultant who had a project in the DFW area and I actually looked forward to travelling to Dallas every week because of this hotel.

This hotel has all of the amenities that a Westin has (and more), but the staff is incredible. They take a keen interest in serving the needs of their guests. Examples of this are endless. I have several dietary restrictions, for instance, and the staff would go out of their way to prepare something off their menu at the restaurant or for room service regularly. I also preferred staying in a particular room and the staff was always accommodating enough to place me in the same room every week. Throughout my eight month stay, I accidentally left many possessions at the hotel a couple of times. From my iPad and my house keys to clothes, the staff took great care of my belongings and I never had to worry about losing anything.

You might be thinking that they took care of me so well because of the length of my stay. However, I was part of a project with 50 colleagues and we all have had similar experiences at the Westin regardless of how many nights we stayed. I had the best sleep ever and woke up fully refreshed every morning. The main thing I look for is convenience when travelling for work and the hotel made my life so much easier. I also tried different hotels in the area for a few nights here and there, but I always regretted it in the end. Other hotels such as the Marriott, Hilton and even the W in downtown do not compare. I felt truly at home here.

This hotel is truly amazing and I would certainly recommend staying here whether you are travelling for business or pleasure. The Manager, Laura Garland, is wonderful along with the rest of the staff. I have very rarely come across such levels of hospitality and will definitely stay here again on my next trip!

Room Tip: The Westin DFW has "Workout Rooms" which are rooms with gym equipment (treadmill and a set...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Had the worst night of sleep ever in Room 813. I was woken up at 5 in the morning to what must have been drilling and laying down the Keystone pipeline on the 8th floor right outside my room. The loud, jarring vibrated throughout the room and lasted for about 20 minutes. At least I will be able to sleep better going forward knowing that gas and oil prices will potentially drop with this infrastructure in place.
In all seriousness, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean and nice. I did complain about the unexpected disturbance to the front desk and they gave me some points to my rewards card. The staff were very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jeremy B, General Manager at The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I regret to hear that your experience in our hotel was not up to your standards. We take great pride in knowing that the most of our guests leave rested and replenished. It is important to us that our guests sleep well in our Westin Heavenly beds. Although, I am a little surprised about your comments regarding noise I do see how that would make for a restless nights sleep. I will work with my team to address any acute noise issue that may exist. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Baytown, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

That sums it up. It is not special with special rooms or great employees or a fantastic restaurant. It is an airport hotel where people are normally stuck or there for a meeting. Average is an excellent word. It was clean, with food,drinks, and a shuttle to the airport. Average. The above average hotel at DFW is the new Hyatt. It could pass for a resort hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had a lot of options in the area on Hotels.com and chose the Westin because we love Starwood properties! Worst decision ever!!! Pool was not heated which was one of the reasons we chose this location. Staff was not good, my husband pulled a long hair out of his scrambled eggs from the buffet, the valet challenged us about a parking spot and the employee working the Starbucks counter was not trained!!! We had to throw our drinks away!!! Overall the beds and shower were great, but I would never return to this location!!!! It made me feel less confident in Westin as a brand!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate the time you have taken to recount your experience with us. I can assure you that we have fixed the pool heater and adressed the service failures. As these are isolated incidents we do appreciate it when our guests let us know so that we may follow up and prevent the inconvenience for future guests. Thank you for choosing Westin and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We checked Friday evening 10-26-12 and greeted by a high school homecoming dance. Our first room was cramped and had torn carpet. We were moved up to the 4th floor to another room. A little better but cramped. Music from the front valet parking played all night and the high schoolers after party was heard past 3 am. Atrium to the lobby goes to the 4th floor. We could hear everything and we were down the hall away from the atrium. Then at 5 a.m. we were wakened by what sounded like an impact drill pounded concrete. I called the front desk "0" was politely greeted but the lady did not really understand much less care about the problem. Oh, we will have someone check it out. The noise finally stopped after about 10 minutes. I called to let front desk that the noise stopped. Later around 7 a.m., we learned that the noise was hot water pipes rattle at high vibration rate when the water is hot. It actually happened in our room. Saturday we asked for a third room on floor higher than atrium and not hot water pipe noise. Saturday night we had to contend with loud teenagers in the room two doors down. CAlled the front desk and this time a young answered. I explained the problem with the noisy guests. The front desk person said, "open the door, stick your head out and tell them to stop." I asked if he was serious. Long pause. Then he finally got it and said that security would come up. I could not believe the behavior and response of the Westin staff. I was not the least impressed with this hotel. A bunch of goof balls at best.

Room Tip: be sure to tell front desk to place you on a higher room and towards the back of the hotel so you ar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate the time you have taken to express your feelings about our hotel. Even though your experience is not typical of what we hear from the vast majority of our guests I do sincerely apologize for what seems to have been very disappointing. I only wish that I had had the opportunity to visit with you while you were a guest in the hotel. I am sure that we would have found a way to resolve these issues to your complete satisfaction. This type of information is very valuable to us and I assure you we will use it to improve the experience for future guests. We have reprogrammed the Lobby music to eliminate this as an issue.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at this place during the Red River Rivalry because everything close to the Cotton Bowl was outrageously priced. To be honest, it's not too far from downtown Dallas, so that wasn't a big inconvenience. One bad thing, and maybe it's just clueless me, but it's HARD TO FIND! Dallas is not the best in signage and for some reason even my GPS kept me going in circles! But eventually I got there. Be warned, it's in the middle of nowhere, but Southlake is nearby and there are plenty of places to eat there. Overall, the place is nice, the people are friendly and helpful, and the rooms are quite nice and comfortable. I'm a stickler for bathrooms, and this one was very clean and updated. The shower was glorious!! And last but not least, THE BED!! It was EXTREMELY, PAINFULLY comfortable!! I say painfully because it made us late for everything! :o) Pillows were comfy, too! Overall, this is definitely just a place to sleep, but a very nice pleasant place to lay your head and relax.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport? Share your experiences!