“Under Renovation Doesn't Mean No Service” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #43 of 76 hotels in Irving
Raleigh
“Under Renovation Doesn't Mean No Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Almost exclusively, we stay at Marriott properties and have stayed at several in the past few years that are under renovation. Never have we stayed at one where the service was rude and totally lacking in Marriott quality until we stayed at the Las Colinas Fairfield Inn and Suites. We arrived late and did not receive the upgrade we would usually get. No problem, we did arrive very late. Since we were staying there two nights, the night clerk assured us that we would receive the upgrade the second night and the staff would move our belongings for us. The next morning we checked with the day clerk about the room change. She was slumped down in her chair in the temporary office and seemed more interested in texting on her phone. Regarding our inquiry into the room change, she replied through fingers covering her mouth, "If a suite becomes available, I will would change the room, but there is no one to move your belongings while you are out." Hmmmm.... not what the night clerk told us. She argued with us about it, never removing those fingers that covered her mouth until my husband presses for the same response that the night clerk had promised.

We proceeded to eat breakfast in the temporary breakfast area. My husband asked if there were bananas and was told that the staff member would check. The staff member never got back to him, but my husband later discovered there was a whole box of them under the table. We spoke with manager, so I hope staff issues have been addressed. It does seem to me that when guests are inconvenienced, as we certainly were by the construction, staff members need to go out of their way to provide superior service. If not, then it becomes a management problem. I definitely will not stay at this location again or consider staying at any property that is undergoing renovation. The noise wasn't the problem and the inconvenience was expected. The service is what destroyed the stay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
FFISLasColinas, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Dallas Las Colinas, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
First, I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you encountered while with us as we underwent renovation. Second, I would also like to apologize for my staff compounding the situation by providing subpar guest service.

I take great care and pride to ensure that my staff offers superior guest service at all times. It truly saddens me that on this occasion an acceptable standard was clearly not met, and we did not succeed in meeting your expectations. I agree 100% that undergoing a renovation is not an excuse for poor service. I have addressed the situation and all appropriate actions have been taken to ensure that my staff is aware of our guest service standards.

Again, I highly appreciate you sharing your experience as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. As with any business, our greatest advertisement is word of mouth by satisfied customers. It is my goal to regain your confidence as a satisfied customer and we hope to service you again in the very near future.

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Newburyport, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Nice basic hotel near the airport. Nothing above average to report really. Customer service was good and the room was clean. Breakfast was average. I'd stay there again but there are newer (modern) hotels in the area at the same price point I'd look at first

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
FFISLasColinas, Manager at Fairfield Inn Dallas Las Colinas, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are always excited to hear from our guests regarding their stay. You will be happy to hear that we will be finished with our full renovation on March 2, 2013! Everything from the floors to the ceilings are now completely renewed, and we know you will be pleased.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to welcoming you again very soon!
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I echo the sentiments of many other reviewers who praise the staff. It was a nice touch to get an email from the front desk a few days before arrival confirming the reservation and asking if they could prepare anything special before my arrival.

The rooms are large and clean. Breakfast is not extravagant, but what's there is good. Beds and pillows are very comfortable. Rooms are relatively quiet, you do hear some traffic noise, but that's part of being close to retail and commercial conveniences. Very easy to get to from DFW. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FFISLasColinas, Manager at Fairfield Inn Dallas Las Colinas, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We are happy to hear that you appreciated our little touches and attention to detail. Our objective is simple: to make you feel like a guest in a good friend’s home. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Thank you for staying and for writing a review.
Farmersville, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Some friends and I were just wanting to get away. I found this location on a different travel site. The rooms were what you'd typically expect, simple. The beds and bedding were comfortable. Nice that there was an indoor pool and spa, but both were cold. Perhaps that was because we got in late and all the cold water from the pool had been splashed into the hot tub from the kids that had been in there just before. The crew member at the desk as I arrived was friendly and helpful, however the night crew member was quick and abrupt. Always a guessing game with front desk people. Although I don't eat breakfast my girlfriends seemed to enjoy the offerings.
Overall it is what I expected and I enjoyed it very much. If you are looking for affordable and comfortable, this should do nicely.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
FFISLasColinas, Manager at Fairfield Inn Dallas Las Colinas, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you so much for staying and for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your weekend break away and hope that you will return in the not too distant future. Please feel free to contact me so that I may ascertain further details and hopefully we can convince you to return so that you can experience Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott at its very best. Your helpful comments will be shared with our team as well.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The staff is exceptional at this hotel. They know the area and made great recommendations for food and gave good directions. The rooms smelled bad. There were 3 of us in 3 separate rooms and we all came back to the front to meet and complained about the musty smell. Once the loud AC ran it helped the smell but unfortunately you had to run it the entire time to keep the smell down. the hotel is clean and the rate was reasonable and food is close if you have a car.

Room Tip: It is close to the frway so ask for something that is not close. Also the first floor was noisy wit...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FFISLasColinas, Manager at Fairfield Inn Dallas Las Colinas, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for staying and for your review. We value all comments we receive as this way we can better our services. Our staff is one of a kind and I will be sure and share your kind words with them. I am sorry that you left feeling somewhat disappointed with your room. I surely hope your next visit will be outstanding without any exception. Meanwhile, please contact me if you wish to address the (minor exception) matter in private. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Corpus Christi, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Front desk was very friendly and helpful both day and night - King room was very large and comfortable. Very good air conditioning. Breakfast was basic but the area was well maintained and clean
hallways are a little worn - could use some updating
probably the smallest elevator that i have used in a long time.
Just small inconveniences for a fairly priced room

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We are delighted to read that you also enjoyed your rooms and that our staff took good care of you. We are also excited to share that we will be updating the hotel within the next two months. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon! Thank you for your review.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I just stayed for 4 nights on business and was very pleased. The rooms are spacious and I like having a small fridge in the room. I also like having a sitting room to watch TV in. Both the sitting room and the bedroom had flat screen TVs. There is a basic breakfast cereal, fruit, buns, and an egg dish served every morning and Tuesday there was a Managers reception with beer, wine and pizza. The staff are very pleasant and friendly. There is a good restuarant next door and a lot of restuarants within a very short drive.

Room Tip: There is some traffic noise from the freeway
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are delighted to read that you also enjoyed your rooms and our added touches. Great to hear that our location was ideal for your business needs and that our team looked after you so well. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Been to Fairfield Inn Dallas Las Colinas? Share your experiences!