“Nice hotel but with disappointing service” 3 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in Irving
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
“Nice hotel but with disappointing service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

Hotel rooms and property are nice. The breakfast is typical continental and appropriate. During my stay the tv did not work for two days. The first night I called the front desk I was told they'd call the cable company and call me back. I never gotta call back. On my second call 2 hours later, I was told there was nothing they could do. No offer of changing rooms or any other suggestions.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at StayBridge Suites DFW Airport North, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear EDelan,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed at the Stabridge at DFW for four days with my husband and daughter in April of 2012....right during the big tornado that hit Dallas....and the hotel was overbooked, so that might influence the review a tad....but I do believe the true test of a hotel is how they handle a crisis and overbooking....

First off...the positive. The hotel is REALLY nice. The lobby and the rooms are furnished beautifully and very well kept. The hotel pool is nice as well and they furnish towels and nice chairs around the pool so you enjoy it. The free breakfast is plentiful altho the powdered eggs left something to be desired (the last day we were there they had biscuits and gravy....the best breakfast all week) and to my husband's delight the waffle iron was in the shape of the state of Texas. Waffles were good....everything was edible but not *great*. Tuesday, Wed and Thurs night they had a "happy hour" with a dinner type buffet. GREAT idea for business travelers or people who are trying to keep their costs down. It too was decent but not great.

The decor was beautiful. The beds were comfortable. The rooms all have kitchens which is a NICE touch and they are beautiful and well kept. It's nice to have a fridge and freezer in your room just in case.

Now on to the annoyances of the hotel. I called ahead and asked for a crib which was waiting for us in our room....but they put us in a room with no bath tub. Now...if I'm asking for a crib I have a small child and usually small children don't take showers. I asked to change rooms (hoping they'd have a one bedroom, I was willing to pay the upgrade!) but they told me they were completely sold out. OK. I get that, but I see a whole stack of reservations that haven't checked in yet and you're telling me you can't switch my room for one with a bathtub??? Nope. Not over the entire 4 days did they ever have a room with a bathtub available.....which having worked in the industry I know is false. They just didn't want to clean our room more than once. (they offer "light housekeeping meaning they make your bed and change your towels during the week. Once every seven days of your stay they will clean your room). No rooms available to upgrade (and pay the difference) even tho my husband is a regular guest and is a preferred member. Okkkk....

Next....the room comes with 3 bath towels and two wash cloths. Period. I asked for additional towels and they brought them, but when housekeeping came the next day I got 3 towels and 2 washcloths....we replayed this scenario every single day of our stay. I finally asked the chick why not just leave 5 towels and she told me that that was against policy, I got 3 towels each day and if I wanted more I had to ask. Same with my extra blanket. It got swiped on day 2 and I had to ask for another one. Really?? It's annoying. OHHH and banging on the door even tho there is a "do not disturb" sign?? Really????

Lastly....we had a tornado while in the hotel. They do not have a tornado alarm, or any sort of system alerting guests to an impeding disaster. They expect you to know that there is a tornado coming and come downstairs and ask what to do. The staff wasn't very helpful and it was my husband who ushered us into the media room (the hotel staff left guests sitting in the lobby area which had an entire wall of windows!!!!!!) to be safe. WAY not cool.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed in the 2BR suite with friends the night before we all flew out of DFW for a vacation. Chose this hotel because they had free parking during our trip and because we wanted a 2-bedroom suite, so we could hang out with our friends the night before our trip. The hotel is very nicely decorated, and our suite was clean. The "living room" area of the suite was extremely small. Check-in was smooth. Breakfast was great. Shuttle service to the airport in the morning was good.

My only complaint is that we could not get the shuttle back to the hotel from the airport when we returned from our trip. This was not made clear to me when I made the reservation, and we had to pay $30 for a taxi back to the hotel to get to our car. That was an unpleasant surprise after a very long day of traveling. Next time I'll stay somewhere I can get shuttle service both ways.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

In all our travels we have never had a more positive experience! Our original plans were to stay for three weeks, but due to my need for emergency surgery two days into the trip, our visit was extended to six weeks. Though the circumstances were unfortunate, the staff at Staybridge Suites made every effort to make our stay comfortable, including, but not limited to, changing out my bed for a lower one to make it easier for me to get into bed during my convalescence.

We have never experience a staff such as this that truly seem to care about their guests, as well as each other. Warm hospitality, clean, attractive facility and rooms, wonderful accommodation and reasonable prices.

Included in the price were hot or cold breakfast daily, a buffet dinner three nights a week – including free wine and beer, Internet access, local telephone calls, cable TV, renewal of kitchen essentials such as dishwasher tabs and dish washing liquid, and for leisure, access to their in-house cinema and gym, and of course the pool and the hot tub.

This Staybridge is also in a great location! Within 15 minutes of DFW, minutes, even walking distance from retail business such as Best Buy, Walmart and Kohls. Great selection of restaurants sit down such as Salt Grass, Applebees, Jason's Deli and i Fratelli Pizza, as well as, a multitude of fast food restaurants including Arby's, Steak and Shake, Taco Bell and KFC. What more could one ask for on a long term stay?!

Finally, this Staybridge is located 10 minutes from the Las Colinas Medical Center. Trust me, you never know when you might need one. The last thing I expected was to end up in the hospital – so for those like us traveling in from overseas, don’t forget your holiday insurance; the medical bill was well over $120K.

Our sincere thanks to Charlie, Rita, Kashyap (Kay), Carla and ALL the staff not least the maintenance guys, for making this a quite remarkable experience. Please be there for us when we return in September/October!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

I stayed here on the first couple of days in February 2012 and chose this hotel based on the reviews. I otherwise, didn't really consider Staybridge Suites in the past. I was truly wowed by the room in which I stayed (suite 101) which was a one bedroom suite.

First things first, the hotel is located right off Interstate 635 (LBJ) freeway and is relatively close to the airport (about 15 minutes from the rental car area). There are plenty of restaurants just a short drive along the service road. The exterior of the hotel is rather basic looking and doesn't do justice to what I found inside. Check-in was easy and the front desk person was very nice. When I found out my room was on the first floor, I asked for a higher room, but none were available with a suite, only studios. So I opted to keep the one bedroom suite and am glad I did.

The suite is rather small, but is so nicely decorated and furnished that it felt extremely cozy and comfortable. The dark woods are warm and rich and the fixtures are exquisite, not what one would find in a typical hotel. The tiles in the kitchen and bathroom are made to look like wood floors and are very nice. There's a kitchen with a full size refrigerator, flat top stove, microwave, sink, granite counter tops, plenty of cabinets and a pantry. There are also a couple of very nice bar stools at the counter right next to the living room area.

The living room is rather small and feels a little bit cluttered with a sofa and large (and very comfortable) leather chair. There are two small ottomans in the middle and a work desk with another comfortable work chair. The lighting is very relaxing in the room. There's also a remote control thermostat that can be adjusted just by pointing it at the ceiling. Very cool. Although a little tight, I found the living room area to be pleasant.

The living room has a 32" LCD HDTV and all the channels are truly in HD! The TV selection is very different from most hotels. They have Time Warner cable and it includes a package with a substantial set of channels and even a channel guide similar to what you might find at home with listings of shows coming up and descriptions. Loved it! There's also free on demand, but not the typical free preview on demand found in most hotels. These were on-demand shows like you might find at home too. They had about 20 or so networks on demand such as CBS, ABC, TNT, Cartoon Network, HBO, etc. I watched a couple of episodes of Big Bang Theory I had previously missed. The TV sits on top of a nice stand with storage underneath. There's also a DVD player hooked up.

There are double doors to the bedroom which has a comfortable king size bed, two night stands and another 32" TV on top of another stand with storage. The bedroom is about the same size as the living room and was extremely comfortable. There's an extra chair next to the bed too.

Adjacent to the bedroom is the bathroom with a vanity and closet outside the bathroom door, then the toilet and a large shower behind the door. There wasn't a tub in this suite which I prefer. The shower is large and the water pressure was quite good.

The hotel has a pool and fitness area which I didn't use. There's also a theater with a huge screen, but I'm not exactly sure how it works to utilize it. They have free breakfast and 'dinner' during specific hours. The breakfast includes hot foods although I just had a danish and some fruit. I didn't check out the food after work, but they had meatballs one of the nights I was there.

There is also free high speed internet (wired and wireless). I used the wired assuming it would be a bit faster and didn't have any issues with typical web surfing or checking e-mails. I didn't do anything that would have required substantial speed.

The only drawbacks I found were minor. For example, being on the first floor, I had a view of parked cars right outside my window. I usually like to keep the curtains open for natural light, especially in the morning, but didn't since everyone going by could see inside. The light switch in the bathroom also turned on the loud fan. I wasn't a fan of that.

Here's a tip about the power saving option they have in the rooms. The rooms require that a key be placed into a slot in the room to turn on the power (lights, TV, etc.) in the room. If you take out that key, it also shuts off the TV's cable box and it takes a while to reboot it. So be patient if anyone pulls that key out of the slot.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay here and find myself wishing I could have stayed longer (was only there 2 nights) in this little oasis away from home. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Heilberscheid, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I have been staying at StayBridge DFW North for some years now and have been/am continuously impressed with the value for money they offer, as well as the very, very nice personal style and hospitality of all the staff. I don't think you can find better value in Dallas and certainly not one that even comes with such a warm welcome feeling.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Definitely will stay again, 2 toddlers and wife had plenty of room for for, the separated bedroom living area with kitchenette were great. Nice clean rooms and Restuarants within a mile Chilis, Cheddars, Razoos, Salt Grass just to name a few. Also next door is 24ht fitness, but fitness room is fine as well. Theater room for movie night, breakfast with waffles eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, fruits all were good.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to StayBridge Suites DFW Airport North? Share your experiences!