“Well renovated, value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Huntsville
Europe
“Well renovated, value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

I stay in the econolodge once a year when I visit a friend in the huntsville unit. The staff remembers me and they are very friendly. The bathrooms have been renovated and are clean and easy to shower in. All in all value for money: a good, clean room close to the I45 and the main street in Huntsville. SInce I am from Europe, I have stayed in many hotels in the USA and this one is the best in their value for money range. Keep up the good work!

• Liked — Value for money. A clean room for a good price
  • Disliked — Breakfast was limited
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

We booked this hotel on Expedia, as it was relatively inexpensive and one of the few hotels not requiring a prepayment. As always with relatively inexpensive hotels, we were a little worried, but hoped for the best.

The daytime hotel staff, on the two occasions I called, were really awesome. I had inadvertently booked for the wrong day and they changed it, no problem. They also said it would not be an issue if I wanted to come in at 4 AM, as I was working till midnight and had a 3 hour drive to get to the hotel.

All of this was fine, but when we drove up the night clerk had put up a sign saying they had stepped out and would be back, and they locked the door. We telephoned and rang the buzzer for forty minutes with no luck, and other people were coming up too trying to check in and out! Finally my partner knocked on the door marked "Private" behind the office area - I guess it is the hotel manager's office? - and after a time a kind gentleman came to the door and he was able to help us. He seemed very surprised and dismayed that the night clerk had disappeared, and he did not know where they were. We'd woken this poor guy up because his employee decided to just vanish on him!

But he was really nice, and very patient - we decided not to pay with our debit card due to a posted policy that it would be charged TWICE for the room and one charge would be eventually dropped - so he waited while I sent my partner for cash so we could pay that way. He was nothing but very nice.

The hotel seems to perhaps be under a remodeling, as there were lots of bits of furniture all over the parking lot and stacked in the tiny office. Our room was scrupulously clean, smelled great, and the bed was clearly brand new - and absolutely huge! A bit too firm, but nothing bad. The other furniture seemed pretty new as well, from what we saw before we just fell into bed, exhausted.

The hotel from the outside looks a bit rough but inside is good and I imagine they'll fix up the outside once they finish the inside! Most of the staff was nice and conscientious - we do wonder whatever happened to that night clerk! - and we liked the cleanliness of our room. Can't speak for breakfast, since we slept through it, but it looked like it would be pretty basic, pastries and coffee maybe.

But the whole business with the night clerk was really awfully annoying. When it is 4 AM and you have worked all day and then drove several hours to get there and they are supposed to have a 24 hour front desk, but the clerk has just up and walked off, that's just not cool at all. No matter how clean the hotel is and how nice the other staff are, the staff being unavailable when they should be is a big strike against it.

• Liked — So very clean, night staff very helpful after their colleague did a runner on them
  • Disliked — Well...no night staff initially at the front desk!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oklahoma City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2005

I stayed at the Huntsville Econo Lodge in September, 2004. I booked it because of the low price, and should have known better. I did not feel safe, and could not bring myself to take a shower--it just did not seem to be clean. Perhaps it was because it was an older hotel. The person at the desk was very helpful. I would not stay there again.

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!