“Don't try to customize your order. 07/07/12” 2 of 5 stars

936-435-0258
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Colombian, Cuban, Greek
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Danbury, Texas
“Don't try to customize your order. 07/07/12”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was our 2nd time going to this restaurant, we live 2 hrs away, and one of the things we really wanted to do when we traveled to Huntsville was to go back and eat there. We were sorely disappointed. The young man who was working there was very nice, that's the reason I'm giving this 2 stars instead of 1. First of all... no pastitsio, apparently you have to CALL ahead if you want this dish, nice to know, after the fact. Secondly, my twin sons and I all ordered gyro's. Now, please tell me why it was ok for me to leave off the tomatoes, for one of my sons to leave off the tomatoes and pickles, but for my other son who also asked for no tomatoes or pickles it was not ok. It came with pickles. He hates pickles, there was pickle juice all over it, even after he took them off and tried to eat it. So, we asked if we could get one without pickles. The cook (and owner, if I'm not mistaken) came out and chastised my 15 year old son saying that that's how she makes it, that "this is not Burger King", hurting my sons feelings to the point where he started crying and left the restaurant. I should also mention, that after seeing this, my other son was also visibly upset that she had hurt his brothers feelings.

Needless to say, we all left, food uneaten. My son is not overly sensitive, he just doesn't like pickles. And if you can't have them customized, then it should say so on the menu, and not have done it for any of us. You should absolutely NOT come out and pretty much harrass the child for not liking something. The whole situation could have been handled better as a whole by her. So we wound up having to pay there, then pay to go somewhere else and eat.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
, Owner at Puerto Aventura International Cuisine, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
First of all, in the interest of full disclosure I would like to say that my food is not for the picky eater. I do not typically customize orders at my restaurant for two reasons: the first because it takes away the authenticity and quality of my food and the second because I run a very small operation and it undermines efficiency in serving customers' food. Nevertheless, this family ordered three gyros (one with no tomatoes, no pickles, and no cucumber sauce, one with no tomatoes or onions, and one with no pickles or tomatoes). My son even accommodated one of the customers by placing his sauce on the side after he said he didn't want any (which would essentially leave his sandwich with pita bread and the gyro meat).

This order was placed as one of the customers was talking on her cell phone. Please be advised that as I give you the courtesy of my attention when you come to visit me, I expect the same to be able to serve you well. I sincerely apologize to the customer if I offended him in any way but I did offer to provide him an alternative dish that was not the gyro. As I stated before, I do not customize orders that take away from the authenticity of the dish.

In addition, the customer is absolutely correct in stating that I do not serve Pastisio (Greek Lasagna) everyday anymore. I am a very busy woman with two other jobs and therefore, I am not able to provide some items on my menu without prior notice. Nevertheless, I offer truly authentic dishes that are made from scratch everyday on my menu (ie. gyro, cuban sandwich, chicken cilantro, caribbean chicken, chicken shawarma, chicken sandwich, etc.) However, my food certainly is not for the pretentious eater; it is for open minded people who love good conversation and diverse cultures. I absolutely welcome anyone that is truly open to try good food without reservations.

76% Recommend
Crockett, Texas
“An Uncommon Treat in East Texas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I dropped in the restaurant one afternoon, and had a great visit with the owner and her son. She let me taste what she had cooked for her own lunch - tostones!! It was wonderful. I went back later and had gyros for the first time in my life....they were delicious. The menu is a wonderful mishmash of Greek and Latin cuisine. This restaurant is a real treat for East Texas.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Conroe, Texas
“Our visit was like a trip around the world. Everyone in our family enjoyed each of 6 dishes we shared.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Can't believe we were the only people at Puerto Aventura this evening. Surely we couldn't be so lucky for long! Try it out yourself. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

This is truly a little gem in Huntsville, TX. Great international cuisine from Columbia, Cuba, Greece, and more. The food takes time to prepare, since everything is done fresh and never pre-cooked. So, expect to wait for a little bit for your food, OR call ahead and tell the owner what you want. The owner and her son (usually) are the waitstaff AND the cooks. There are a few things on the menu that you HAVE to call ahead because she doesn't always have the ingredients on hand - she'll actually go out and buy the things she needs and cook the dish especially for you. :) Love this place!

• Visited October 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Coldspring, Texas
“Very "bare bones" dining”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

The food is good, but not exceptional. The owner must do the cooking and serving which is a lot of work for one person.

• Visited August 2011