“Former Glory ... Now Tarnished” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Former Glory ... Now Tarnished”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

If you've never been, Railroad Cafe has roughly 10 tables, including one in a semi-private alcove by the kitchen. For several years, it was my preferred eatery in the northeast Houston suburbs. It was my favorite place to take friends and family for a great meal, terrific service, and a wonderful overall experience. I knew the chef/owner and his family by name, and could call ahead to reserve my favorite table (front, by the window) and to discuss any special requests.

Dinner at Railroad Cafe was not a hurried affair. It was a relaxing, almost luxurious event. While not extensive, wine selections were wonderful and every course delectable. Sadly, after moving away for a couple of years, I returned and found the same chef/owner, the same service and smiles from his wife, but the cuisine had gone downhill. The three-course dinner was one disappointment after another and not worth what I paid for myself and my guests.

Having said that, given its former glory, I'll soon return to Railroad Cafe and hope my last visit was on an "off night." We need good options in Humble, and I'd sincerely like Railroad Cafe to be on my list of favorites again.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Houston, Texas
“Over priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

The food and serivce was really good however it's not worth the money. I think I was expecting so much more from all the reviews that I had read and I was disappointed in the end. I found the menu to be a little complicated and limited on pasta dishes. The experience was just okay overall can't say that I would return. The place is nice and cozy but the seats are uncomfortable. I give this place a 5.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
“Best Kept Secret In Humble!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

I loved it! Went for an anniversary dinner. My boyfriend had surprised me with this location. I had never even heard of it after living in Humble for 10+ years! It was very small but SO romantic. The service was excellent! Food was amazing! Best place for a date BY FAR!!

• Visited September 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
“The appetizer was to die for!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We had a very nice dinner here in June. Very tiny, but quaint restaurant and a little hard to find. Service was wonderful. The caesar salad was different than most and we were glad we split one since we didn't care for it. Very pricey dinner - one glass of house wine each, split a salad, appetizer and two pasta dishes and spent $100. Entrees were good, but the item I'd go back for was the spinach gnocchi. It was the best thing I've eaten in AGES! I would go back and have it for dinner with a glass of wine. I'd love to be able to recreate it, but I can't even guess how. Very unique! .

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
The Woodlands, Texas
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

We live in The Woodlands and stumbled across this place one day on one of our extremely infrequent trips to Humble. Since then we're been back 3 times and the food and service were fantastic every time. It's a small place but that just adds to the charm. With all the fine restaurants that we have in The Woodlands, it takes something extra special to make us drive to a place that's 25 miles away. Highly, highly recommended.