“But for the location...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria

You added Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria to your Saves list
Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
4.0 of 5 Motel   |   5011 Westheimer Road at Post Oak Blvd., Houston, TX 77056 (Great Uptown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #137 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, TX
“But for the location...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I acknowledge that the hotel is being renovated, but it really ought to be closed down until the renovations are complete. The elevators are fabulous, but they seem to be haunted as they stop on floors at random. The rooms, though extremely large, are sparsely furnished and decorated. I rather felt like I was in the Shining when I stayed here as there was so much construction going on. What a shame. Westin Hotels really seem to be going down in quality. Have they changed owners? I come to Houston for work quite regularly and still am shopping for the right hotel in the Galleria area. I will not be returning to this one, nor will I try the Westin Galleria for fear that it will be similar.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Our stay was Oct 22-24. I won this hotel stay by bidding on priceline. I got a good rate, but once i looked up the reviews on tripadvisor I seriously considered getting another hotel instead and foregoing this one. I was extremely hesitant because it was my husbands 35th birthday celebration weekend and I needed everything to be perfect. I am so glad I decided to give it a chance and continue with my reservation because the Westin Oaks was WONDERFUL! Everything went off without a hitch! The lobby is beautiful. The staff is so kind and friendly and helpful! Checkin was a breeze. We got there early and expected we would have to wait but we were accomodated right away. We were on the 17th floor ( a renovated floor). The room was beautiful, spacious, clean, quiet, the bed and pillows were so comfortable, nice view of Westheimer rd. Everything anyone could want in a hotel room! We didnt have any problems with elevators or water as other people complained. The location is the absolute best you can possiblly get in that area. You have everything at your fingertips as it is connected to the Galleria Mall (4th largest mall in America). Many great restaurants right in that area too. Cheesecake Factory next door. We used the gym one morning which is across the mall (shared with the Westin Galleria). People complained about the walk to get there. It is a short walk. The gym is big and bright and lots of machines (cardio and weights). Water and apples provided. Many people complained about the free parking. It is underground & hard to get a spot during mall hours, but we got lucky each time. It's a high traffic area so people are always coming in and out. If you are not into the aggravation of looking and waiting for spots then there is $10 parking which is very convenient on the ground level. The way I looked at it is that most hotels charge for parking so $10/day is very reasonable; so how can people really complain about the free parking when you have the option either way? On several occasions we asked the front desk staff for directions or recommendations for restaurants and entertainment.. Each time everyone was so helpful. On one occasion, the front desk clerk spent at least 25 min's with us going over places where we could hear live music, calling the venues to see what kind of music they had that night, printing out directions, giving us various options. She was phenomenal! Other things we did on the trip besides great dining and shopping was hiking through Memorial Park (very natural and beautiful) Visiting the dowtown Aquarium (highly recommend- they also have 4 white tigers there) and visiting Lakewood Church, largest church in America (highly recommend- a wonderful place of inspiration). Both my husband and I were very impressed. We loved Houston (we are from Canada) and we would defintely go back to the Westin Oaks in a heartbeat!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

While I agree that the renovations make some aspects of the hotel less appealing, overall we had a very decent stay at the Westin Oaks. We stayed on the 16th floor and our room was quite, clean, everything worked and the hotel served its purpose.

I do not believe this hotel should be rated at 4 stars. I have stayed in several other Westin hotels(Downtown Houston, Georgetown D.C) and they were nicer in my opinion. The age/state of the elevator, room and bathroom left a little to be desired. The floor of the tub appeared stained with age, and there wasn't nearly enough light in the bathroom. The windows and balcony were old the room was sparsley decorated.

Until they get everything renovated and up to date, the Westin Oaks really needs to lower their star rating and price because the guests are being shortchanged. Thank goodness I got a very good priceline rate ($55/night) because this hotel was not worth the regular price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Monterrey, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Ok, the hotel is under a huge renovation and yes, the lobby is a mess, elevators are not in the level of the floor ( be careful!), noisy etc etc BUT once you are in your room it wasn´t that bad ....

I stayed three nighst with my two best friends on a shopping trip. The beds are really comfortables, the room was clean, had a cofee maker (great way to start the day!) and the noises began at 8:30/9 am just when we were going out to have breaksfast and go shopping.

We were planning to stayed at Derek Hotel (just crossing the street) when I called the Platiunum Travel service (amex) the lady told me the Westin had a special rate at 145 per night, so I booked it.

As I said, the hotel is under a huge renovation, but if your intention of the trip is for shopping this or the other westin (that was about 250 per night) is the place to stay! Location is excellent, you ARE in the Galleria so you spend your day shopping and just walk to your room to leave your bag and continue shopping :)

For lunch/dinner there were a lot of options, just be sure to get dinner early, most of them closed at 9/10pm (I am mexican so we had dinner veeery late, the first night we almost miss dinner!)

Next trip we´ll try the Derek or maybe the Aria in Woodlands (beatiful neigborhood with a lot of shops and restaurants)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Dear Ms. Villarreal, with regards to our multi-million dollar transformation, we are happy to announce our lobby transformation is now complete. Our lobby now has new flooring, décor, furnishings as well as a lobby bar, where our guests can unwind and relax. We are thrilled this part of our transformation is complete, and I am confident our guests with be satisfied with our new modernized lobby. This major project also includes upgrades to be made to our elevators and this should alleviate the challenges you experienced. We are exhilarated to know you were satisfied with our room accommodations as well as our location. At Westin, we take great pride in offering our guests the Heavenly bed line and we are glad you found our heavenly bed very comfortable. We do take steps to ensure our guests are not impacted by our ongoing renovations, and up to this point we have had great success in doing so, however, we understand there are exceptions. Our transformation is scheduled to be complete by mid January and we truly hope you give us another opportunity to make a better impression in the future. Again, we regret you experience in our hotel was less than perfect and we appreciate you taking the time to communicate your thoughts to us regarding your experience. Warmest regards,
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

The Oaks and the Galleria Westin have overgone extensive renovation but the work is far from done and the management of the hotels is shared between the two. So what is poorly done in one is reflected in the other.

Regarding the Oaks the rooms have been updated but the bathrooms have not changed. The elevators are a nightmare and you should give yourself an extra 5 minutes if you are in a rush to catch on of them. Once the doors open be careful not to trip and the entry as the elevators are not level with the floor. Beware not to get cut on any of the falling off panels and disregard the floor lights, as there are none and you only know what floor you are on when the door opens. I have to lean over to the double shower heads which are awkwardly placed at a 5' height.

The gym is located across the mall at the Galleria and is cooled to a chilling 60 deg, includes 4 weight machines, and some older elipitcal and poorly maintained treadmills where the belt catches under the weight of your weight (215lb 6'4 here). There is still renovation going on in the lobby.

The parking garage underneath is insulting. Beware of not being able to find any as the parking lot fills up with mall visitors around 5pm. Valet is the best option. The parking comes on floor P below the hotel with no ramps so you have to haul you bags down a few steps, and back up, when you leave.

The Internet was so slow, even for the $19.95 1.5Mbps I paid for. I have to use my Verizon wireless to type this review as I was getting less than 50kbps all night. This has been the same for all three nights, with the signal getting weaker and weaker per night.

The bed is a Westin bed which is very comfortable. The room is quiet and the A/C seems to work and is quiet. The speaker phone is broken and no one has fixed it since I reported it a few days ago. There is a coffee maker and starbucks supplies. Remember you have to ask for the Westin Shower Body Wash as it is never stocked in the rooms, at any Westin. Call service express and they are astonished every time, what gives.

A poor excuse for a Westin as it has always been, as goes the Galleria. There are no other options except for the Sheraton Suites across the street which I have not stayed but expect about the same or less quality.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Mr. Reynolds, I would like to mention our multi-million dollar transformation at the Westin Galleria is already complete and has been since April 2010. The Westin Oaks transformation is scheduled to be completed by mid January and this major project is more than half way done. We understand the inconveniences in having to journey across the mall to access the gym at the Westin Galleria, and we are thrilled to announce that a state of the art gym facility is in the works as part of the Westin Oaks transformation. This also includes upgrades to our elevators and we truly regret the longer than normal wait times you had to endure when attempting to use them. We know you did not come to a hotel of our caliber to have an experience of this kind and we also empathize with you for having to experience challenges with internet service, parking, and issues with the phone in the room you occupied. Please know that this experience is not the standard, but an exception. We will forward your comments to the appropriate departments to ensure the challenges you experienced are looked into and corrected. We are glad to know that you did find our heavenly bed and room accommodations comfortable and quiet. We truly hope you give us another opportunity to make a better impression and we are confident that once our multi-million dollar transformation is complete, this will bring us back to the Westin brand standards our loyal guests expect. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Warmest regards,
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

I stayed here for a conference I was attending that was being held at the hotel - if not for that, I probably would have never stayed here. In short, the hotel is old, dirty, and kind of ghetto. On the bright side, the hotel staff is very friendly.

First of all, the elevators are slow. They sometimes stop at random floors, and you can pretty much expect to be waiting for several minutes for one to become available.

The room itself is not something you'd expect from a 4-star hotel. The carpets are old, and the bed sheets/blankets were stained. However, the bed is very comfortable. The balcony is a bit narrow, and every time I closed the door I would hear an awful buzzing/vibrating noise. I had to leave the door partially opened just to make it go away. The shower also seemed to be clogged.

The most annoying part was when my room key suddenly stopped working. The front desk made several new keys, and they wouldn't work - but the master key did. They said they would send someone up to fix the key reader but they didn't - I had to ask three times, and someone finally showed up that night and changed the battery. The problem started in the morning - so basically someone had to let me into my room the entire day.

Getting to the ballroom where lunch and dinner was being served for the conference, the food quality was OK, but the dishes were not very clean. Several glasses at our table had lipstick on them, and some of the silverware still had food stuck on them from previous uses.

The pool area is very nice - the pool was big and appeared clean, and there are little tents set up with chairs and tables. The gym though is at the Westin Galleria across the mall, which is very inconvenient. It's also annoying to have to pay for internet access.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed at the quality of this hotel - I think the star rating may have been from when the hotel first opened and needs to be adjusted as to not be misleading.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, October 8, 2010
Nessa421, we are sincerely sorry your stay in our hotel was not as you envisioned. At Westin, we aim to provide our guests with an escape to an upscale and tranquil environment and we regret on this occasion we failed in delivering on our promise. We completely understand your views regarding the condition of our hotel and words cannot express how sorry we are for what you experienced. We know you did not come to a hotel of our caliber to experience challenges of this nature and we empathize with you. I would like to mention that the Westin Oaks is currently undergoing a major multi-million dollar transformation that is scheduled to be complete by mid January. At this time, we are exhilarated to announce we have newly transformed rooms available for our guests to occupy. Our newly refreshed rooms include new carpet, wall coverings, décor, lighting and furnishings. The Westin Oaks lobby has also undergone an extensive transformation which is scheduled to be complete today Friday, October 3rd. Our newly transformed lobby now features new flooring, décor & artwork, furnishings as well as a lobby bar. We understand the inconveniences with having to journey across the mall to utilize our gym at the Westin Galleria, and our multi-million dollar project will include a new state of the art workout facility. We pride ourselves in delivering outstanding service to our guests, and we are truly glad to hear our staff delivered on our promise. We are also delighted to know that you found our newly transformed pool area to be nice, clean and big. Please know that this experience in particular is not the standard, but an exception. We would love the opportunity to make a better impression in the future and we are confident that once our transformation is complete, this will bring us back to the Westin brand standards our guests expect of a Westin property. Nessa421, thank you for taking the time to communicate your thoughts regarding your experience in our hotel. Warmest regards,
Perth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

This Hotel is not a 4 star hotel. At best it is a 3.5 Star.
I stay in the Galleria area 4-5 times a year for 20+ nights a year and awlays bid for hotels on Priceline as you generally get them in the $55-75 category. I have won this hotel twice in the last 3 months and it is not up to the standard of other hotels I have won in this area - Hilton, Derek, Omni, Intercontinental, Marriott (& some of them aren't great either).

On both occassions I have stayed here I have had trouble getting hot water, I work late (on Aussie body clock) and at 2am getting a hot shower does not exist in this hotel. I ran the water last night for over ten minutes before giving up and having another cold shower (2nd night in a row) - I had exactly same problem in a different room last time. In frusratrion I asked manager ot call me back today to discuss and have not heard - have left a voice mail but nothing. AND I am in the newly renovated room.

The lifts are diabolical, they randomly stop on floors all the time and the floor of the lift does not meet the floor of the hotel when it stops leaving a step that is just dangerous. This is obviously such a problem that notices are in the lift to that effect.

The gym (at leats till now) is at the partner WEstin at the complete opposite end of the Galeria and it is juust impracticla to go there and then walk back through a high class shopping mall dripping with sweat. This fact alone should warrant priceline downgrading this hotel to a 3.5star or less.

Bath amentiies are minimal, no shower gel, no earbuds etc.

On the upsides - heavenly bed is always good, parking is free (when you can find one amongst the shoppers), location is the best of all Galleria area hotels I feel. There is a big pool but it would ahve to be one of the most drab pool envrions I have ever seen, literally a conrete jungle with a pool slapped in the middle.

I would only stay at this hotel voluntarily if I was here to do nothing but shop at the Galleria. I'm here one more night and will be glad to check out (if I can find the lobby)

ps I realise renovaitons are underway but it would require a lot more than what I have seen in my renovated room to entice me here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria? Share your experiences!