“customer service at its finest” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria

You added Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria to your Saves list
Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
4.0 of 5 Motel   |   5011 Westheimer Road at Post Oak Blvd., Houston, TX 77056 (Great Uptown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #137 of 457 Hotels in Houston
“customer service at its finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

what a great place! unfortunatley, the property has two towers separated by the large galleria shopping complex. i showed up at the wrong tower. but, the concierge greeted me promptly, checked me in anyway, and drove me in the hotel shuttle to the other tower as it was late at night. i very much appreciated this gesture as i did not wish to load up my car again, exit the property, navigate the tricky one way streets, etc. the room was very nice and decorated modernly. great view of the city. meeting areas were exceptional.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Greetings Sarxman, Thank you for the five star review of our hotel, the Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria! At Westin, we strive to provide personal & instinctive service and we are truly glad you were able to experience our amazing service on this visit. We are also delighted to know you enjoyed our modern & spacious room accommodations and transformed meeting rooms. I would really like more information regarding the concierge who assisted you. I want to make sure this individual is recognized for their exemplary service and efforts. Please share the details with me via email at Galle@Westin.com. Look forward in hearing from you.

Danny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was in Houston this past week on business for a conference in the Galleria, an area which has quite a few Starwood properties around it. I settled on the Westin Oaks, a hotel I had stayed at previously a couple years ago that was still undergoing renovations at the time. Back then, my experience was mixed, with the elevators having a mind of their own, the older rooms looking worn out, and the service level was just a hit or miss. Could this time around be any different?

Arriving a couple hours before normal check-in time, I was informed of a room being available and had been upgraded to an Executive King Corner room on the 17th floor. The check-in experience itself was quick, and the agents at the front desk were pleasant to deal with. A couple years ago, the lobby area was only limited to the elevators and the front desk while renovations were going on and the changes were noticeable and quite nice I have to admit. The one big thing one will notice is the major improvement in the elevators, they no longer have a mind of their own and you simply enter the floor number you'd like to be taken to and off you go. The lobby bar area was available this time around, and it had a nice upscale feel to it which was rather enjoyable.

My room itself was a large corner room, with new furnishings that were very similar to other new Westin properties. The bed was indeed "heavenly", and I was impressed with the overall look and feel of the room. No longer did these rooms have that worn look to them, and it was obvious that Westin has really done a good job with the room upgrades. The corner Executive King room is very similar to a suite, and is very spacious - one will not be disappointed with it!

Throughout my three night stay, I was able to use in-room dining which was good and much better than my previous stay and the front desk was able to take care of any of my needs. Danny Ruiz, one of the guest relations coordinators had contacted me ahead of my stay asking me if there was anything I would need and made sure my stay was as enjoyable as possible. One of the best things about this hotel is that it's right in the Galleria, so you basically have the mall available to you during business hours and it's very easy to get a quick meal at the food court, walk down to a decent sit-down restaurant, or just pass the time with some shopping or even a bit of ice-skating! As my conference was in the same area, I hardly ever had the need to step outside other than going out to events in the evening. I also had a chance to experience the Business Center which helped me out greatly.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this stay and it's great to see the changes that have taken place at this hotel. A couple years ago, I had the kind of experience which was OK at best and I didn't really know how this time would turn around. I'm happy to say though that this hotel has improved greatly after the renovations, and you might even think you're at a completely different place if you've stayed here before. The rooms have been upgraded and are definitely on par with the newer Westin hotels, the service level has improved greatly, and elevators I'm thrilled to say now take you to where you want to go! The staff was wonderful to deal with, and every need I had was taken care of without hesitation. It's amazing how things change after a renovation, and this property has definitely been upgraded. Other Starwood hotels exist around the area, but I'll be staying at the Westin Oaks again as my choice of hotel in Houston.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Benjamin M, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Greetings stylo4444,

We are greatly appreciative of the five star review regarding your recent stay at the Westin Oaks Houston. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments onto Tripadvisor. We appreciate the warm and uplifting details regarding your experience. The Westin Oaks values all forms of feedback and always looks for areas in which we can improve. Please know that we have passed along these comments to the appropriate departments so the good word can be shared with those who impacted your stay. We are thrilled that your experience was relaxing and refreshing and we are pleased that your expectations were surpassed. We look forward to the privilege of having you as our guest again in the future.

Warm Regards
Benjamin
East Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

The Westin Oaks has very large rooms with new furniture and carpet. All the carpet in the hallways is new, too. The elevators have been updated. We really enjoyed our stay. It's a great place to stay and shop the Galleria.
The coffeemaker in the room was only stocked with DEcaf. We called and asked for some regular coffee. They said that coffee would be sent to the room, but it never came.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Greetings Raggedy Ann 2, Thanks for taking a moment to share your delightful Westin Oaks experience with us on Trip Advisor! We are absolutely thrilled you enjoyed our modern room accommodations, new state-of-the-art elevator system and convenient location to the Galleria Mall. We always strive to deliver the best possible Westin escape and we are glad this was truly an uplifting experience for you. However, I would like to apologize for failing to provide regular coffee and not following through in getting some delivered to your room. Thanks again for sharing this feedback with us and we look forward to your return!

The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I like the Westin standard. For the U.S. its very modern and open.
The one in Houston is kind of far away from the city but directly in a shopping mall.
Staff was very friendly and helpful after I forgot my suitcase in the lobby and was already under the shower when I realized (-:
The king size beds are heavenly and what I really like is the coffee machine in the room.
So if like to shop and fall into your bed in the evening then this is the one!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Costadelplastico, We appreciate you taking a moment to share your Westin Oaks experience with us on Trip Advisor! At Westin, we always strive to provide the most refreshing and relaxing experience possible and we are delighted to know we delivered on our promise. Our hotel is situated in the heart of the Houston Uptown District and conveniently connected to the fourth largest mall in the United States, which allows our guests easy access to numerous retail stores and restaurants. We are glad you were able to experience our one of a kind location, world-class service and our Westin Heavenly Bed. Thanks again for the uplifting feedback and we look forward in welcoming you back as our guest.

Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I were truly amazed and touched by the kindness of the staff from the concierge to the SPG staff who arranged for us to stay an extra day to literally everyone we encountered at this beautiful hotel attached to the Galleria. My husband became quite ill during our stay and I cannot say enough about how hard the staff worked to make us comfortable during a difficult time. The wonderful Sweet Dream beds and soft linens are what one comes to expect from a Westin and we were not disappointed to be on the Starwood Gold floor. The rooms are large bright and airy with comfy chairs. A room overlooking the Houston skyline is particularly lovely.

Room Tip: We have already booked our next stay and look forward to our experience again-hopefully with better...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Greetings Peggy G., We so appreciate your kind words regarding your experience with us and our amazing staff. It’s truly uplifting to know our staff made sure you and your husband were well-cared for. We have also taken note of your upcoming booking and we will make sure this stay is nothing less than perfect. If you have any questions or requests prior to your arrival, please feel free to reach out to me via email. We look forward to your return!

Danny Ruiz
Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent one night at the Westin Oaks and had a wonderful stay! Check in and self park were super easy and front desk and valet staff were attentive and friendly.

Our room was very nice with a comfortable bed, private balcony, adequate air conditioning, and an amazing dual shower head in the bath.

The self parking was easily accessable from both the hotel and the mall. The pool area was clean, open, and appealing.

We would choose to stay at this hotel again whenever we are in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Moviejunki, Thanks so much for your contribution and four star review of our hotel, the Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria! We are absolutely thrilled you had an uplifting & relaxing overall experience with us. We so appreciate your kind words and definitely look forward to your return.

Danny Ruiz
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I travel to Houston several times a month for work and stay at this Westin due to its location only. Every time I stay here I tell myself it will be the last time due to all the unnecessary frustration it adds to my trip. Being a SPG frequent traveler I usually enjoy my stays at Westin's.
First, I agree with some of the other comments regarding the hotel needing an update. It is not on par with other Westin's.

I felt like I need to write a review for the following reasons:
It took me almost 15 minutes to check in due to the hotel not having enough front desk agents. This has happened several times and it seems like an easy fix.
I called to see if the hotel had a refrigerator and mini bar and was told "YES" several times by multiple people. THEY DO NOT HAVE EITHER! I don’t understand why they continue to give out misleading information. The TV in the room did not work and maintenance had to come to the room each day I was there to reset the cable box. Most hotels have a phone by the bed for calls and so you don’t have to get up and go across the room to answer the wake up call. One phone and not close to the bed.
They have installed a new elevator system which is very user unfriendly and very loud. My one suggestion if you stay here is get a room as far from the elevator as possible. I was all the way down the hall and could still here the 4 ear piercing rings every time the elevator opened. It is hit and miss on the hotel staff. Some are very helpful and courteous and some are very rude and unfriendly. I am not looking forward to finding a new place to stay in Houston but I can no longer accept all the problems with this Westin. Also, they share parking with the Galleria mall which is a challenge of its own. Good luck!

Room Tip: Elevator is very loud. Get room as far down the hall as possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Benjamin M, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Greetings AAallways,

We are sorry to hear of the challenges you faced in your recent visit to our hotel. We deeply regret the disappointments and inconveniences you experienced during your stay at the Westin Oaks Houston. We truly value all feedback as it affords an opportunity for us to improve and we appreciate you taking time to inform us of your experience. We would very much like to speak with you regarding the details of your experience. Please email me at Galle@Westin.com, so we may discuss. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Benjamin

Been to Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria? Share your experiences!