“Great Stay, but Lock Your Car!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel & Suites at Medical Center

You added BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel & Suites at Medical Center to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel & Suites at Medical Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6700 South Main Street, Houston, TX 77030 (University Place)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #138 of 473 Hotels in Houston
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Great Stay, but Lock Your Car!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have a family member who comes for medical treatments at one of the Houston hospitals, so we always stay at this hotel when we are in the area. The hotel is in a convenient location, close to hospitals and dining. The breakfast was very good, and the staff was accommodating. The pool was too cold to swim in, but the hot tub was nice. The room was large and comfortable. The only complaint I have is the amount of traffic and road noise outside the hotel. There were times it was quite disturbing. Also, another guest told us that his vehicle had been broken into one night, and when he reported the theft to the police, they told him thefts were common in the area. We did not have a problem with our vehicle, but if what he said is true, make sure to use common sense and don't leave valuables in your car! Otherwise, this was a good stay, and I'm sure we will stay here's again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
Fort Worth, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed here because we were travelling to Houston and it was close to the museum district. Overall it was a slightly older hotel, but OK and very clean inside. The rooms were OK, albeit a little rough around the edges and the décor was in a need for updating.

Overall, a solid yet unspectacular place to sleep for the night.

Temple, Texas, Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel several times over the last 5 years. The location is good, room and hotel are very clean, indoor pool in nice, breakfast is better than average, but the parking at this location is terrible. Each year we consider not booking this hotel because of the parking, but value and the quality are good enough to overrule the parking issues. If you drive a large vehicle, make sure you get in early each night and find a good parking spot and expect door dings, the parking slots are very narrow.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Saraland, Alabama, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Normally, our stays with you have been wonderful. No problems. We have stayed at the Houston Medical Center Best Western on four different occasions since July 2012. Our rates have always been the same. With the AARP discount our daily rate was around $90.00 and after taxes and such$120.00. This last stay was considerably more at a total of $140.00 per night. When I booked the room I was quoted the "normal" rate we had been paying. When I checked out I was given the rate I had to pay because "at this time of the year the rates always increase plus the rodeo is in town".

My question is - what does the rodeo have to do with people who are in Houston to fulfill their scheduled appointments at M. D. Anderson? I would be happy to provide you with a copy of my mother's schedule. Personally, I don't think M.D. Anderson would be too happy to know your hotel has "Medical Center" in the title but yet use the excuse of the "rodeo" to jack up the prices.

We are from Alabama. We have to watch every dime we spend and are always on a budget. It may not seem like much to you but $20-30 difference per night is alot to us.

I did try to talk to a manager before we left but got nowhere. I completely understand "raising prices" during different times of the year but is it really fair to the people who are there for medical reasons?

Would certainly love to have my money back - at least the difference in what I was quoted. Though we have always enjoyed our stays and felt completely safe, we will not be staying at this hotel for future appointments.

New Braunfels, Texas, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel rooms and service was great. The breakfast was the usual Best Western good hot breakfast. The rooms were verk clean and had a good smell. However, the reason I chose to stay at thiis hotel was because it had an indoor pool. I must admit that I did not check to find out if it was heated, since I had never run into an unheated indoor pool. We were there with our grandkids who love to swim. The pool was very cold. Good news is that I now have an additional item to check when making a reservation. The only reason for not staying again is the cold pool. We will look elsewhere next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Edna
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

DO NOT give these front desk reps your card for incidentals if you dont plan on using the phone or cable in the room. They will put a hold on whatever card you give them for the full amount of the room. The hold was put on my card on a Sunday and was on there for a full week. After 5-6 calls throughout an entire day, i was ignored, not listened to, and not helped in any way. They simply do NOT care.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple