“Could do better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #120 of 456 Hotels in Houston
London, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Hotel is basic to needs. There was no concierge when i arrived and i never saw one. The resturant food is flavourless and limited in its options.

There is a gym but it is very small with only a handful pieces of equipment. The pool is old and could really do with modernising (like the rest of the hotel).

it serves a purpose but being in downtown Houston so close to major companies, it could do a lot better.

Room Tip: try other hotels first
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
DIRECTOROFSALES007, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston Downtown, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear capuletes,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We do value all feedback as this only helps us to improve.

Happy Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Hi Crown Plaza,

I visited your hotel the week of November 4th in the middle of a hectic month of traveling. Unknown to me when I checked in, my credit card account had been hacked earlier in my trip and my account was frozen. It was going to make completing my trip pretty difficult.

Stephanie Mendiola went far above and beyond for me, helping me to get through the trip and doing all she could to make sure I could also get to the airport to get home. She is the best customer service person I have ever seen in 25 years of business travel.

Crown Plaza Houston, be sure to take care of your own and get her a raise, promotion - something to make sure she stays on with your hotel. She is outstanding and helped me overcome a very challenging situation with no interruption to my plans.

Thank you Stephanie, may your kindness return to you a million times over!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
DIRECTOROFSALES007, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
The RoadWarrior_69,

Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize Stephanie, we do have a great team here and they really do appreciate it when guests such as yourself take the time to recognize them by name. I am happy to hear you made it home safely, we hope to have you as our guest again soon!

Happy Travels!
Fountain Hills, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights during the International Houston Quilt Festival. I want to highly commend the Guest Experience Manager, John Flores, for going beyond the call of duty. I haven't had such great attention to detail in a hotel for many years. It was so refreshing to be exposed to such consideration by everyone who worked there from the front desk to the astute restaurant servers. Thanks, John, you did a wonderful job and I will definitely be back when I am in Houston.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Karen P.,

We are so happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us while in town attending the Quilt Festival! We agree that John Flores is a G.E.M.! Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize our team, we look forward to seeing you again next year!

Happy Quilting!
Edinburg, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I'd read the mixed reviews on this property and went in a bit unsure of what to expect. Hotel is not a new property, but my room was very nicely updated with a multimedia dock that allowed me to connect my iPad directly to my TV so I could watch Neflix in my room. TV had plenty of channels as well.

I was at the hotel for a business meeting and lobby/meeting facilities were very clean and fresh. Front desk staff was very helpful and nice with check-in/check-out process.

Hotel bar was a bit "bare bones" but Marco the bartender was very attentive during Game 5 of the World Series with a fairly crowded bar to manage.

My room was one door down from the elevator and I didn't have any problems with noise...

Room Tip: Higher rooms are updated, but I hear that all will be updated soon.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DIRECTOROFSALES007, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston Downtown, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Mark S.,

We are so happy that you were able to utilize our newest amenity to enhance your experience and that the service you received exceeded your expectations enough to write about here. We hope to have you as our guest again soon the next time you head to Houston!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Overall, great experience staying here, and great advice from the concierge (see my review for the District 7 Grill - an easy walk, great food) What set this hotel apart are the "beta test" features deployed here to try them out before rollout to other Crowne Plaza hotels. Two items stick out:

Connectivity! Very easy to charge devices in the room (either AC or direct USB!) on the nightstand, or on the desk. Plus, the desk has a hub/dock for your device - either a direct dock for your iPhone/iPad, or an HDMI or USB connection for your Android device. The dock lets you use the TV as a large monitor, or just an output for those movies you have on your phone.

Wellness station - sure other nicer hotels put out apples and lemon-water in the evening (and then ignore it the rest of the day) - this hotel keeps it stocked 24/7, and you have the choice of lemon-water or plain icewater. Maybe it's a little thing, but I found it very nice and refreshing.

Fitness center is decent (some machines, plus dumbbells) and the pool is fairly small/shallow.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear TomTom2000,

Thank you so much for your detailed review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are so happy that you were able to utilize and share your experience with our new Brand Hallmarks (the CRAVE Hub and the Wellness Station) with your fellow travelers. Your feedback is critical as to how the brand moves forward with these new amenities. We are proud to have been selected as one of the Beta hotels for these new hallmarks Oh and by the way, District 7 is one of my faves as well, I am happy to hear you enjoyed it as well! Cheers!
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Arrived and was told I had been put into a room next to the lift well. To be fair the hotel warned me it could be a bit noisey.

What disappointed me was firstly the lack of sound dampening around the door (or even doing something about the big gaps between the door and frame) – this lets sounds in.

More annoying were the other selfish guests at a conference who opened and closed their own doors or had loud conversations near the lift at 1am (“Yeah baby”, “yoh mam”, “what you all doing”…). Can’t not stop losers being what they are, but some signs on the lift saying “shutup and be considerate” might get through to them.
Meals were great and service fantastic.

Houston downtown on a weekend is like something out of the The Walking Dead -Lots of homeless, drug addled or mental ill people walking around wearing glazed expressions who approach you when they sense your presence. Sad and confronting at the same time. Not a family destination by any means.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the lifts!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear louise3001,

I am disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied during your recent stay. Although your experience is not the norm, we appreciate your sharing your feedback and will do our best to eliminate these inconveniences to our future guests.

We do hope to see you again in Houston soon!
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here one night in order to do a Halloween pub crawl in the midtown area and this was the closets hotel. The rooms are big and roomy. The bed was so comfortable and the shower was great. The staff are really nice and friendly. Overall a great hotel to stay in the downtown/midtown area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
roxyrocks84,

We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our location to be perfect while visiting all the hot spots in Midtown! We hope to have you as our guest again soon!

Keep Rockin'

Been to Crowne Plaza Houston Downtown? Share your experiences!