“Nice, Affordable, and close to Midtown” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #165 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice, Affordable, and close to Midtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel and had a very nice experience. I was visiting friends that live in Midtown and you cannot beat this location or price. It was just a 10 minute walk to Bagby St. The room is comfy, clean, and well appointed. They included a Keurig maker/coffee, some aromatherapy lotions, and all nice upscale toiletries. Shower was great, lots of water pressure and hot water. The bed was big and comfy and the room was nice and quiet. I didn't see the rest of the hotel other than the lobby but it was elegant and has nice elevated seating lounge. Check in was super fast (5 minutes) and the front desk staff were very courteous and friendly. My only complaints were very minor...no shower cap was provided and the bathroom door literally comes within an inch of the toilet so it was a tad trick to maneuver sometimes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jerry L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Downtown, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We are glad to hear that you an enjoyable experience with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback about your stay. We are pleased to offer our guests several unique toiletries, such as our sleep amenity kits. We also appreciate your kind words about our front desk staff and it is nice to hear that the room more than met your expectations. We look forward to having you back the next time you are in town!

Warmest regards,

Jerry L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

When I checked in to the hotel, I was impressed. The valet service was speedy and helpful. The front desk staff was also very kind and courteous, although the process took longer than expected. My room was large, for a downtown hotel, and nicely appointed. Everything looked very nice.

But my stay came up short because I encountered (fairly minor) frequent and persistent problems throughout my stay. For example, the water temperature and pressure in the shower fluctuated significantly. The tile floor of the shower was uneven and somewhat uncomfortable where the grout was missing. There was no shelf in the shower to put my soap or shampoo, so I had to use the top of the toilet. The outlet I wanted to use was so worn-out that my cell phone charger plug fell out of the outlet repeatedly. When I used the charger at the desk, I discovered that the power turned off when the room was unoccupied. Frustrating.

Outside the room, the gift shop was out of postcards and upon checkout I discovered that the front desk staff had not handled some issues that were promised. On the upside, the concierge was excellent. She was extremely knowledgable and very helpful. The food in the hotel restaurant was very good, but expensive. The kind of breakfast buffet that you might normally find offered for free cost $12. For dinner, the fish cost $27.

Overall, the hotel looks much better than the actual experience I had. I will likely try to find a better hotel the next time I will stay in downtown Houston.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jerry L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Downtown, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience with us. Even though we are sorry to hear that our accommodations didn't meet your expectations; we greatly appreciate your feedback. I can promise you that this is not the typical experience. We would love for you to give us a second chance the next time you are in Houston. If you would like, please contact me at JerryL@cpdowntown.com and let me know if there is anything that we can do for you.

Warmest regards,

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

A lot of my family stayed here as part of a wedding party. The hotel was fantastic. The rooms were great - large, with high quality linens, clean, and well resourced. One of our party was mildly unhappy as the plug didn't work in their bath and they were immediately given another (and even nicer) room. The Valet service was highly efficient and they run a drop off service to locations in the down town. My sisters and I went for dinner and drinks in the bar and the waiter was delightful, giving us sound advice about margaritas :) The food was also really good (I had a delicious salmon stuffed with spinach).

Generally, everyone in our party was extremely happy with the hotel and I would most certainly use them again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jerry L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Downtown, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
We are glad to hear everyone had such an enjoyable experience! We strive to provide exceptional accommodations for our guest's stay. We appreciate your kind words towards our valet and restaurant staff as well as your overall feedback. We hope to have you stay here again soon!
Wheeling, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

When checking in, please ask for Jerry the front desk manager. He was awesome. Handled my room issue seemlessly, worked through the rewards program snafu with me, and was 100% with cab and transportation needs.

Hotel was very clearn and nice, but the PEOPLE (Jerry) made the week.

Vince Schmidt

Room Tip: Room #621 was quite nice
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words! It was a pleasure having you here with us. We strive to make your stay as memorable as possible and I am glad to hear you had such an enjoyable experience. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 9am and was still able to check in without problems or extra cost. I was always greeted when I entered. The room was clean and the location was perfect. Would recommend to others and would stay again. However, I would recommend that they install a mini fridge and microwave.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jerry L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Downtown, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
We greatly appreciate your recommendation of our hotel! It was our pleasure to get you checked into your room upon your arrival. We are glad that you enjoyed the room as well as the location of our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Irving, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I would stay here again just because of Teri at the Front Desk..Houston in general is not the best city for business travel, but if no choice - def. would choose this place because of staff. Came here for a conference, expected a lot more from the city, but I guess the economy is still trying to improve. Houston has potential, and this hotel is helping build downtown up with their happy hour with complimentary drinks and food, as well as their front desk team.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your kind words about both Teri and our front desk staff. We always want our guests to feel as welcomed and as comfortable as possible while staying with us. We are also glad that you enjoyed the complimentary drinks and appetizers at our Priority Club reception, which is held every Tuesday from 5 to 7 in the evening. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Dickinson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Got an excellent rate for 4 nights ( Tues-Fri) through my husband's work-for a conference downtown. The room was comfortable-though a mini-microwave and fridge would have been convenient to have. Everything was clean and we received coupons for free continetal breakfast buffet daily-which was a delicious very full breakfast. We were always greeted in a very sincere way by all of the staff. The free shuttle was always available and we never had to wait more than 10 mins. for it. We were on 9th floor and we did not notice traffic noise. Free wifi too! Would highly recommend to anyone, esp. if you can get the reduced corporate rate (86 per night)-I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
We are pleased that you had an excellent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the room, the breakfast buffet, our service, and the ease of our shuttle. We strive to make our hotel a home away from home. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Jerry L

Been to Crowne Plaza Houston Downtown? Share your experiences!