“Great location, a little expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Galleria Houston Hotel

Save Saved
You added Westin Galleria Houston Hotel to your Saves list
Westin Galleria Houston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5060 West Alabama Street, Houston, TX 77056 (Great Uptown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #94 of 451 hotels in Houston
Pearland, Texas, United States
“Great location, a little expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for the second time this past weekend for a dance competition and convention. The hotel was sold out due to this event, so I won't include the logistics of dealing with the overcrowding as part of my review. However, we booked months in advance at a group rate, and were given a rate of $200 per night for a double deluxe room. Basically, a double deluxe room is a standard, two-double bed room with no special amenities. As a matter of fact, internet access at a basic rate was $9.99 per night, $20 if you want a higher speed. Only two out of five elevators were working on the first night, and then they finally had all five working the second night. The escalator between the lobby and the second floor was broken the entire time. The elevators would not have been an issue, except that we were given a room on the 21st floor.

The positive things about the hotel are that the rooms and public areas were clean and nice, the workout facility is nicely equipped and very clean, and there is easy access to the Galleria shopping.

Wireless access is provided for free in the hotel lobby, but the speed is very slow.

There is room service available and a restaurant in the Galleria that is affiliated with the hotel, but both are quite expensive. We opted for the food court, Starbucks, and other restaurants in the Galleria.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Benjamin M, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Greetings Greg P,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your four star rating. We greatly appreciate the time you took to share your experience and impression of our hotel. We are pleased that you found the location to be to your liking, and that you found our facilities to clean and well maintained. We strive to provide a clean and relaxing atmosphere and we are thrilled that we delivered on your expectations in this regard. We do apologize for the challenges you experienced regarding the elevators at the hotel. Unfortunately during the past few dance competitions, we experienced issues with the elevators due to overloading and large numbers of convention attendees attempting to place too many people into the elevators at one time. As a safety precaution, the elevators feature a mechanism that will prevent operation if the weight load is tripped. Unfortunately, when this happens, we must have an offsite technician release the safety mechanism and inspect the elevator. We do apologize for any inconveniences this caused during your stay.

Again, we are pleased that you enjoyed your overall experience and apologize for the disruptions you encountered regarding the elevator and escalators. We look forward to any future opportunities to host you and your family again. It will be our privilege to have you as our guest if your travels bring you back to the Houston Galleria area.

With kind regards,
Benjamin M
Guest Relations Coordinator

549 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Fremont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was here for an event and it turned out to be fine. The location of course is great, you can get anything you need in or around the mall. The hotel itself was ok, very fast wired internet and friendly staff. Some things that could have used some work, my toilet was running and leaking when I arrived, so I had to call the front desk. They sent someone pretty quickly (despite it being around 8 at night) but it wasn't something I wanted to deal with after a long day of flying. They also have beds that are just ok, I was expecting a cloud-like Westin experience and found the bed to be pretty stiff. I also happened to be on the 5th floor facing the pool so I got not only the noise from people, but the noise from the motor. All in all the hotel was ok, but I think your experienced is based on the room you get.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Greetings tevans14,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We value all forms of guest feedback and appreciate you providing us with an opportunity for improvement. We are pleased that your event was pleasant and that you found our internet connectivity to be to your expectations. We also appreciate you warm comments regarding our friendly staff. It is unfortunate that you encountered challenges during your stay that caused a negative disruption to your Westin experience. We would greatly like to do more research into which room you occupied so that we can work to resolve the challenges you mentioned. Please feel free to contact us at WECARE@WESTIN.COM so that we can work to alleviate these issues. Again, we thank you for your feedback and look forward to any future opportunities to have you as our guest again in the future.

Guest Relations Coordinator
Vienna, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Recently stayed at this Westin while on business travel. Location is great and allows for easy mall access if you have some downtime - outside of the mall, you will need a rental car as it will be tough to get around the suburban sprawl. Rooms were very spacious and very clean. Very nice heavenly shower. Service was on par with most other Westins. Valet parking was pricey, so if you want to save some $$$ I would suggest you self-park.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was here for a conference and had a very nice experience. The staff greeted me pleasantly at check in and noticing my room was near the elevator, offered to move me further away from potential noise and also offered to move my co-worker to the same floor I was on for convenience. The room was comfortable and spacious, bed was very nice and loved the rainfall shower head! The facility was clean, and the work out room was very nicely equipped and open all night. The conference rooms were very nice, and food provided from snacks to the buffet dinner were excellent. Being connected to a huge mall was very nice as well, did not have to travel to get to shops in my free time in the evening. With a lot of time to spare after check out before my flight, it was wonderful that they let you check your luggage with them until you need to leave for the airport. Overall, great service and facility, would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor provides a beautiful view of the city's skyline!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Benjamin M, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Greetings Michele S,

Thank you for your five star rating of your recent experience at the Westin Galleria. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your uplifting feedback. We are pleased that our Front Desk staff and Convention Services team delivered on our commitment to exceeding your expectations as our guest. I will be sure that your commendations are passed along to the appropriate parties so they can share your warm remarks with the staff. We look forward to the next opportunity and privilege to have you as our guest if your travels bring you back to the Galleria area of Houston.

With warm regards,
Mauritius
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We booked on line and got a very good rate for this hotel and received an upgrade on arrival to one of the suites which was enormous! Staff were friendly and helpful and wireless internet was free. The lobby bar is pleasant for a coffee or a drink or there are many food and beverage choices in the mall. As I wanted to shop in Houston the location with direct access to the mall was excellent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings Zikomo,

Thank you for your recent four star rating on Tripadvisor.com. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and pleased that you found the value, service, and location to be to your expectations. We certainly appreciate your warm feedback and graciously look forward to our next opportunity to have you as our guest.

Regards,
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was here last year and had a very pleasant experience so I decided to try again. I was not disappointed. In this age of people changing jobs rapidly, I found it very refreshing to see familiar faces upon my return. Most remarkably the fact that Hubert Collins would remember me made me feel extremely special. Apparently we were here during a dancing competition or something and decided not to go out but to order room service so as to not deal with the crowds and as soon as Hubert arrived with our order he remembered us on sight. Why you all have him hid on your overnight shift I will never understand the other waiters we experienced were less than friendly. You all also have some of the best bellmen in the world. If I could do away with one thing it would be the fiasco that is called a parking garage. There has to be a way to park closer to the hotel without having to pay 20plus dollars. All in all very good hotel glad I came back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Greetings Kelsey Y,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor.com. We are pleased you enjoyed your experience with us and we will be sure that Hubert and our bell staff receive your warm remarks on their service. We do apologize that your experience with the surrounding parking options was less than you envisioned. You may be interested to know that there is complementary parking in any of the Galleria Garage spaces for the hotel, the nearest of which is located in the Brown Garage. I do apologize if this information was not communicated to you during your stay.

Again we are thrilled that your overall experience was pleasant and we look forward to having you as our guests again in the future. We openly welcome you back and look forward to providing you with a refreshing and rejuvenating Westin experience.

With warm regards,
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Very comfortable, soft yet firm bed, providing all the support for a good night sleep. Check in was a breeze. Room was clean and spacious. Love the Starbucks coffee in the room, easy to prepare and no mess at all.
Hotel is connected to a huge mall, with lots of great shops and restaurants. Hotel front desk even provided me with a map of the mall which came in really handy, you will need it i assure you.
Stayed for a week and did nit find any faults with the staff, hotel service was fine with me.
Hotel is within walking distance (about 10 mins) to the Williams waterwall, which is well worth a visit.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Westin Galleria Houston Hotel? Share your experiences!