“Tall Vehicles - BEWARE!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Galleria Houston Hotel

You added Westin Galleria Houston Hotel to your Saves list
Westin Galleria Houston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5060 West Alabama Street, Houston, TX 77056 (Great Uptown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #136 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Tall Vehicles - BEWARE!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I'm only writing to tell those of you with vehicles like mine that are over 8'-8" tall that parking here is next to IMPOSSIBLE! After calling on my cell phone and circling for 50 minutes (for real), it was finally the Galleria MALL's security (not the hotel's) that kindly let me park my 9'-7" Sprinter Van (RV) in the mall's underground truck garage. The hotel's staff (2) told me wrong info twice... leading me into a very frustrating goose-chase for much of my 50 minutes of circling. The only option seems to be to have the hotel valet park your vehicle. Nope, not interested. What was MOST disconcerting was the GM was already gone (6pm) and the front desk manager, whom I met and told in person, merely said "Oh, they told you wrong..." NO apology even after saying I had just driven 9 hours to get there, was tired, was given incorrect info, etc. WHAT IS WRONG WITH SAYING, "We are SO sorry that you had to be inconvenienced?" much less offering me an iced tea at that point. I am understanding, upbeat and positive most all of the time... until management drives me to frustration and anger. Argh...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Benjamin M, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear DavidandAngela,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Tripadvisor.com. Please allow me to apologize on behalf of our staff for the communication challenges you endured during your stay. It is unfortunate that you were not provided with accurate directions to a suitable parking area. We strive to accommodate our guests’ needs accurately and efficiently and we sincerely apologize for failing to deliver on this commitment to you. It is also regrettable that the level of service you encountered is not an accurate reflection of the level of service we strive to maintain. I apologize that this exception caused a disruption to your Westin experience and that the encounters created a negative impression for you.

We gladly invite you to be our guest again if your travels bring you back to the Houston Galleria area. If we can be of any assistance with your future travels, please feel free to contact us at wecare@westin.com. We look forward to the privilege of providing you with a renewed experience that meets if not exceeds your expectations.

Benjamin M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Thai first
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed two nights in February 2013. My second day there I knew my business would be finished early so at 7:45 am I requested that Housekeeping make up my room early. Front desk lady assured me, no problem. By 1 pm the room was still not made up, despite my personal request to the maid on the floor. So I ran an errand and wandered the mall for a while. By 3 pm it was STILL NOT MADE UP, so I asked the maid again. Yeah, Yeah, was more or less her attitude. At 4 pm I had had enough and went to the front desk (which I guess I should have done earlier). They got the manager involved and assured me it would be serviced in 45-60 minutes. At 5:30 I returned to the room and she had just finished it. They said they would give me 25,000 additional points to my Starwood Account. I said OK but my private reaction was, "Big deal."
Given the general high quality of Westins, this was surprisingly poor service, to say the least.
Especially since most of the other rooms on my floor that she cleaned first had, I am quite sure, been vacated by departing conference attendees. Shouldn't guests remaining for the night get priority service, especially when you ask for early cleaning?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Benjamin M, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Greetings travelguy30196,

Thank you for your recent review of the Westin Galleria Houston. While we are thrilled that your overall stay was pleasant, however, we regret the experience you encountered in getting the room serviced. We would very much like top speak with you concerning the details of your reservation. Please feel free to contact us at wecare@westin.com and reference your Tripadvisor username. We look forward to hearing form you and discussing this matter with you further. Again, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay except for this one issue and hope that your impression of our hotel was positive. We gladly invite you to be our guests again if your travels bring you back to this area of Houston.

Benjamin
Corona del Mar, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hotel lobby is small with limited Starbucks hours. But that's okay, cause you can go anywhere in the mall for food. Huge mall with lots of shops and good restaurants. Room is spacious.

Very comfortable, clean and nice beds. Starbucks coffee provided in-room. Nice staff. I recommend this property for location and size of the room.

Note: i hear there is free parking. basically connected to the mall.

Dickinson, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were there for a conference and every detail was excellent, better than many others. Our room was large, and all the staff was courteous. Two issues: both ATMs were out of service and the manager claimed to not be aware. Really. Also, we had no idea that there was free parking, so we paid for valet parking. When the conference was over, everyone was waiting for their car from the valet. It took over an hour to get our car. A very good stay except for that.

Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great room as you would expect from the Westin. Even though I was next to the elevator, it wasn't loud. My only complaint is parking. While free, it is not very convenient or at least where I parked. Very good exercise room. You can even "rent" work out apparel and shoes.

Coppell, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

As a gold member I've been frustrated on more than one occasion with the two Westins at the Houston Galleria mall. Inevitably you unload your luggage late at night, smell the relaxing white green tea smell in the lobby then hear "you" made a mistake and are in the wrong hotel.... The staff is kind and helpful but this two hotel thing in one mall is hell on guests. This time they agreed to let me stay in the wrong tower then when I returned after the first night my key was turned off. Visiting the lobby I learned that they needed to up my rate or move me to the other tower - on the other side of the mall in the middle if the night. The two sides are the same quality wise! After a discussion the manager "allowed" me to stay in my same room for the same rate. But I was told my gold status had no bearing on this decision. I have stayed at 5 Starwood hotels for over 10 days this year on business already because I love the Westin, W, and St. Regis... My friends tell me to switch to Marriott but... I love the Austin W, the Bali W, the Denver Marriott, the DC St. Regis, the San Antonio Riverwalk and La Cantera Westin, the Seattle W, the Dallas W... Why is Houston such a mess?

• Stayed February 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Westin is right inside the Houston Galleria so you're steps from world-class luxury indoor shopping - seriously tempting when your reason for being here is a conference for work! I had sessions at the Westin Oaks, which is a 10-minute walk away from the Westin Galleria through the mall, so attendees shopped both before and after meetings!

As for the Westin itself, check-in was efficient. Inside the room, everything was clean although the shampoo bottle was only half-full and left over from a previous guest's stay. There were wrapped plastic cups in the bathroom, and a complimentary bottle of water on the dresser. The shower curtain rod is one of the curved type, giving more elbow room for showering, and the shower head was a fancy square Kohler rain shower.

The bed was just the right amount of firm, and linens were crisp. I'm not sure if all rooms have this issue, but mine faced a busy road that seemed to have traffic all night long, so it was a bit noisy. All said, I would definitely stay here again and bring more spending money (!).

One last thing to say - I left my computer's charging cord in one of the Westin Oaks' meeting rooms and didn't realize it until I got back home, several states away. I called the hotel at midnight, and the security teams at both the Westin Galleria and Westin Oaks immediately searched for the power cord, and found it. They called as soon as they located it to ease my mind. This is service! I just paid for FedEx delivery to get it back. Props to Terence and Julio for their rapid response.

Room Tip: Ask about a quiet location away from road noise