“Stay away .... Unless you prefer accessibility to Galleria mall” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Galleria Houston Hotel

You added Westin Galleria Houston Hotel to your Saves list
Westin Galleria Houston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5060 West Alabama Street, Houston, TX 77056 (Great Uptown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #136 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Stay away .... Unless you prefer accessibility to Galleria mall”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I was here for 1 night at this hotel in September. This property is certainly showing its age, The rooms are spacious and seem to have been refurnished but still old bits n pieces are evident. I had called up hotel about my early arrival and I was promised room would be available. After I reached at around 12 noon , hotel staff asked me to wait for 1:30 hrs !! I was told they are not sure when room will be ready and I shd check after 1 hr I know this doesn't sound like big issue but after 18 hrs in flight last thing one wld expect is to wait for an hour to check in to room. Also even though parking is right next to hotel, it takes 5 - 10 mins to walk back , it's not convenient and one will have to opt for valet. The only great thing about this hotel is accessibility to Galleria mall .........nothin else really stands out

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2011
Dear SamKool, I am sincerely sorry your stay in our hotel was less than perfect. The Westin Galleria underwent a multi-million dollar transformation about two years ago and we have received inspiring feedback regarding our recent changes. Many of our guests are delighted with our new product; however, we are sorry these new changes fell short of your expectations. We do apologize you had to wait for a room upon your arrival to our hotel after an 18hour flight and we empathize with you. Check-in time is 3:00pm and we are happy to know we were able to accommodate your early check-in request before our normal check-in time. Again, I apologize your stay was not exactly what you envisioned and we hope you give us an opportunity to make a better impression in the future.

Be Well,

Danny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Thai first
Fareham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I had two rooms for two nights at the Westin Galleria recently and whilst I'd love to talk about the what the rooms are like, I will concentrate on the HOTEL STEALING MONEY from me. They did the same thing for both rooms I had, which leads me to believe this is SYSTEMATIC and purposeful. Once is an accident, twice is dishonest and not fixing the problem is criminal. Well - keep my $6, Westin Hotels - you just bought yourself a bad review on every travel site I'm a member of - and there are quite a few!

This comes down to those $2.50 bottles of water in the room. I had one bottle, expecting a bill for $2.71 (incl. tax), but found out they had gone ahead and charged me 4 bottles at $5 each. I queried the charge and was told that it was because of sales tax. I suspect that because I sound British, they tried to get one over on me and the check-out lady was so incredibly condescending it was unreal. How dare I question their charges. Well, it was impossible for her to argue, as I offered to walk back up to the room with her where the bottles still were, untouched, and displaying a price of $2.50 rather than the $5 that she claimed. She said she'd correct the bill, reluctantly, and unfortunately I took her word for it. I'm now some 5,000 miles away and had a look at my account and there are two charges; one for $2.90-something and the other for $5.40-something. Well congratulations, Westin - you go ahead and enjoy my $6... which I suspect is $6 from a lot of your guests so you have a nice little scam going on there. I'll be staying at the Omni down the road next time I'm in Houston.

This wouldn't be that big a deal to me if I hadn't caught them before I checked out - now it's a matter of principle. I'll go ahead and enclose screen shots from my bank statement as proof before I get accused of lying or libel because I am categorically making this public statement: Westin Galleria Hotel stole money from me, which makes them thieves and scumbags. It was not an unfortunate human error, because I caught the error before I left - this is theft.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Westin Galleria - Omni around the corner is MUCH better.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Setti21, We are deeply sorry to hear of your recent experience in our hotel regarding a discrepancy on your final invoice. We are glad you brought this matter to our attention prior to your departure; however, we sincerely regret the issue was clearly not resolved. We strive to provide our guests with accurate invoices the day of their departure and we apologize for this error. I can assure you that these types of errors are not common and we are always willing to make things right and correct any billing discrepancies should they occur. If, you would like for me to look into this, I would be happy to take this conversation offline so it can be resolved accordingly. Feel free to contact our hotel and ask for Danny Ruiz, Guest Relations Coordinator.

With Kind Regards,

North Pole, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Check in was without incident. At the time, I was a gold and the house was booked at 7%, so I got an upgrade to a deluxe room.

Deluxe room was in an interesting triangular shape. Moderately sized (by American standards). Larger than normal room sitting area. HUUUGE bathroom with two sinks, separate shower and tub. All you needed and more. Centrally air conditioned, quiet and worked the way I wanted to.

Gym was a great facility. Great great great. Medicine balls, free weights, really good machines. Excellent view of the Houston sprawl.

Even though it was 105f, the pool area on the 20th(?) floor was cold. Very windy. Hot tub was not hot. Pool was very cold. Friendly attendant said he would warm up the hot tub, never happened during my 4 night stay.

Location: if you are looking for real nice inner city Houston, you're not in the right place. It's in Memorial City. WAY west of downtown and galleria. BUT, for a suburban area, it's nice. Walkway to the mall, with a Beck's Prime in it. Along the freeway, there are TONS of GREAT dining options. You can't go wrong in Houston. Area is safe, but dead at night. No real places to go for a good run.

I think they charge for parking, but when I stayed here, the parking arms were up and I didn't have to pay.

I'll stay here again if business takes me to Memorial City, but I'd rather stay at sheraton suites near Galleria if I want inner city, galleria, good ice houses, etcetcetc.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Sulphur Springs, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Concierge, Shirley Jackson came to my rescue. She could not find a Houston phone book so I could look up my brother's phone number. I needed to call him for an important message.
Shirley took out her personal cell phone (mine was dead), called information, called my brother and gave me her phone so I could talk to him about some very important plans.
She could have just as easily said " we don't have a phone book" and let it go at that.

Thank you SHIRLEY JACKSON.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Retiredspook,

Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize our Concierge, Shirley Jackson for her extraordinary efforts & service. At Westin, we aim to consistently provide our guests world class service and it is truly nice to hear you experienced that first hand while being our guest. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your story with us on TripAdvisor and we look forward in welcoming you back as our guest.

Be Well,

Carthage, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Our stay at the Westin Galleria was very positive. The staff was helpful, very courteous and the room and overall facilities were very clean and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you James Y. for your inspiring comments regarding your recent experience in our hotel, the Westin Galleria Houston. We appreciate your nice review and we hope you return soon for another pleasant experience.

Best Regards,

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011 via mobile

Houston's Galleria is known for great shopping and Westin is known for heavenly beds and dual-head showers, but if you're headed to stay at the Westin Galleria, don't expect to find any bargains (except in the mall parking garage, where hotel guests can self-park for free.)

The hotel room was spacious and well-appointed, but smelled musty and mildewed. The legendary beds were wonderful as ever, but the floor to ceiling windows were covered by custom blinds that had seen better days and the wall above the fire alarm was badly stained. The room did have a mini-fridge but it was inoperable. This hotel has wonderful conference facilities, but hotel hallways were kept at near-arctic temperatures, which oddly did nothing to chase the stagnant air.

The workout room was closed for remodeling, and the hotel has no onsite restaurant, referring guests instead to the Daily Grill next-door, where breakfast entrees with eggs start at $12.95 and dinner entrees run twice that. To get a late night drink, we were directed to the lobby bar at the Westin Oaks property (also at the Galleria) where a single vodka shot cost a whopping $9. (Helpful hint: pack a flask and skip the lobby bar!) The Westin Galleria is in a prime location, but one may find better-scented, full-service luxury accommodations nearby for less.

• Stayed October 2011
Chino Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I go to Houston for work about 4 times a year. This is my first stay at the Westin Galleria.

Pros:
- great beds, as with all Westins.
- direct access to Galleria Mall, which offers a lot of eating options. you can eat on a budget at the food court or step up and dine at one of the better restaurants located inside the mall.
- spacious fitness center with up to date machinery and also has some free weights.
- Starbucks is located a few steps away inside the mall.
- free parking at the mall garage lot. but kind of a hard to find the nearest entrance at first.
- Galleria area is the best and only place to stay in Houston.

Cons:
- front desk staff and concierge weren't the friendliest. service in general was pedestrian.
- the hotel is supposed to be non-smoking, but my floor had distinct cigarette odor in its hallway.
- business center charges an arm and a leg to print documents. better off to go to the kinko's across the street on Westheimer and get them printed there, if you have the time.

I would stay here again, if the price was right.

Room Tip: stay away from the elevators. map out where the closest mall garage lot entrance is beforehand.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Westin Galleria Houston Hotel? Share your experiences!