“Friendly staff, but some lacking discipline” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Galleria Houston Hotel

You added Westin Galleria Houston Hotel to your Saves list
Westin Galleria Houston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5060 West Alabama Street, Houston, TX 77056 (Great Uptown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #156 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Toronto, Canada
“Friendly staff, but some lacking discipline”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

There are several things that this Westin hotel need to improve. From the look and feel of the dark and seemingly stuffy hallways, the relatively audible air conditioning system, and quality of the linens and towels. These are not major issues but could use improvement at this stage. However, the one aspect I do want to point out here is my experience with the room service.

I arrived late Sunday evening from Toronto. By the time I got to the hotel and checked in, it was 10:30 PM, at which point I was famished. Most nearby restaurants in the area have closed their kitchen by 10 PM, so I had little choice but to order room service. I picked up the phone and ordered at around 10:45 PM, from the dinner menu which was clearly indicated is served up until 11:00 PM. The room service attendant was friendly and took the items I ordered without why issues, and promised me that the food will arrive around 30 minutes. I waited and waited, and at around 11:10 PM, i received a call informing me that my main dish is no longer available at this time even though I ordered it prior to 11:00 PM. The reason, I was told, was because the kitchen staff were no longer available to prepare them.

I didn't put up much of an argument, mainly due to fatigue and hunger at that point. So I replaced the item with one that is available in their late night dining (available 11:00 PM onwards). At that time I asked the attendant whether the appetizer I ordered will be a problem, but he assured me that the kitchen has confirmed that this one will be prepared.

Within 5 minutes of me putting the phone down, I got another call informing me that now the item they confirmed to be available before is no longer the case. I now had to replace it yet again. At this point, the staff offered me a 50% off the price of the total order. So now I assumed that I had to wait another 30 minutes for the order to arrive. I waited and waited and called them and eventually I got the food at around 11:55 PM.

I'm not going to rate this service as terrible, but I do think that this could have all been avoided if Westin kitchen staff would honor what has been written in the room service menu. Running out of stock of ingredients was one thing, but to have the kitchen staff become not available prior to the designated time is not acceptable for Westin.

The other thing I wanted to point out is that, Westin staff should by now realize that price discounts don't really count for much from the business traveler's end. Discounts from this kind of inconvenience are irrelevant for us because the benefit is not ours to keep. What I think should be offered instead are extra services and tangible good to make our stay more pleasant. This is a safer course of action for everyone (business traveler or casual travelers alike).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Dear KingmanP,

I am truly sorry to hear the service failures you experienced while being our guest. I completely understand your frustrations as well as the inconveniences you encountered regarding the late night situation with room service. I agree this type of situation is unacceptable and certainly not the standard at our hotel. At Westin, we have a passion for excellence in our service and meeting customer satisfaction and we apologize we failed to deliver on our promise during this visit. We appreciate your invaluable feedback and this issue will be addressed accordingly. We do hope you allow us another opportunity in the future to make a better impression.

Danny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Thai first
Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

I have stayed at The Westin about 5 times the past 6 months and I know the people at Westin Galleria and the Westin Oaks Houston and they really try to make you feel at home and they do... everybody starting with the people working at the front desk like Nicholas T. (his passion is Music) I call him the Zar Nicolas Romanov... he is very helpful and effective... to the kind people at the consierge like Maria A.(Travel) and Shirley J. (Dolls)... they really help you with anything you need or dream... And the front desk managers Tony J. (Music) MaryZoe M (Bermuda) and Teryn F. (Gaming)... they work very hard and they really make you feel like home... eveybody allways providing excellent service with a friendly smile and the right attitude... IF YOU WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE HOME STAY AT THE WESTIN galleria or W.oaks... I would like to name all the people working at this two hotels but I cannot remember everybodys names... GO THERE AND EXPERIENCE GREAT SERVICE AT HOUSTON.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Dear Pueblo Materno,

We sincerely appreciate you sharing this amazing experience with us! At Westin, our staff aims to consistently provide our guests with world class service and we are truly delighted Nicholas, Maria, Shirley, MaryZoe, Teryn and many others have made your experiences at the Westin Oaks & Westin Galleria memorable. We are happy to have you as part of our Westin family and we hope to see you again soon!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Good morning,

I want to take this moment to truly express my sincere gratitude for providing an excellent experience during our 3 day training.
The entire staff was friendly and available to provide assistance with a smile.

A special thanks to the staff who prepared our delicious breakfast and fabulous sweet treats :) and to all the personnel who made sure that all of our questions and or concerns were met. You are an awesome team!!! Keep up the outstanding work.

Every single one of you deserve a standing ovation for making this an enjoyable experience.

With sincere appreciation and admiration,

Ms. De La Paz
Bilingual Educator

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Ms. De La Paz,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your incredible story with us on TripAdvisor! We are so happy you had an amazing experience while in our hotel for the Texas First Reading Conference! It was a pleasure in being able to host this conference and we absolutely loved having you all here again. We truly appreciate you taking the time to recognize our staff for their amazing hospitality. We look forward to your return next year!

Kind Regards,

Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed here with my husband and 3 small children for one night, June 27, 2011. Getting to the actual hotel was a bit of a trouble for our gps due to some lane closures however once we arrived everything was perfect. I have to admit I did get a GREAT deal $79 on priceline. We pulled into the vallet, which was about $27. The vallet was very friendly and was able to offer us some suggestions and answer our questions. We checked in about 3:30 and it went fast and smooth. I requested a crib and it was brought to our room within 10 minutes. The room was clean and very welcoming. 30 minutes after we arrived we received a call making sure everything was ok and to see if we needed anything, wow! We didn't but it was sure a great gesture. The area was perfect for us, great shopping! My only complaint about this hotel would be the pool area. My kids loved the pool,but as an adult it did lack a bit of appeal. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011
Dear Txveggiemama,

Thank you for Sharing your story with us on TripAdvisor! It is wonderful to know your stay in our hotel was perfect. We thank you for recognizing our valet and service express teams for their outstanding efforts and customer service. We appreciate your invaluable feedback and we hope to have you back as our guest soon!

Kind Regards,

Berlin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a conference. The hotel and rooms were clean and tidy. I was very happy with the fitness center. The staff were very helpful. The hotel was, shall we say, a bit "retro".. it could use a workover. Overall the hotel was fine. The one big disappointment was that there was no breakfast included in the price, which, for the price (~$135 per night) is not great. The internet access wasn't cheap either, though the wireless internet in the lobby was free. My work paid for the hotel, so I won't complain too much, but if you are paying yourself, or looking for "good value", then I would look for somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Aliso Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Arrived into Houston on a quick one-night mileage run, and booked a room at the Westin Galleria. The hotel is located at the massive Galleria mall. But, be careful, there are actually two Westins at the Galleria mall (the other one is the Westin Oaks).

Since I was driving (it was Houston, after all), it was a bit confusing/frustrating/maddening trying to navigate the (many) one-way streets around the Galleria mall to try to find 1) the Westin Galleria, 2) the correct parking structure and 3) the correct parking area for the hotel. I ended up circling the Galleria twice before I found what I thought was the valet for the Westin Galleria. I was wrong--I ended up at the Westin Oaks valet. But, they were quite kind and took my car anyways, and promised to move it over to the Westin Galleria valet later that afternoon.

I ended up checking in at the Westin Oaks side, but since they are commonly owned and operated, they were able to check me in to the Westin Galleria and give me my room key. The front desk hinted that the Westin Galleria had put me in a very nice room. It entailed a walk across the Galleria mall, which was kind of pleasant. It's a huge mall.

Arriving at the Westin Galleria, I didn't discover my 15th floor room was on the top floor until I got into the elevator. Getting off the elevator was a bit creepy as the 15th floor consisted of a large rooftop conference room on one side, and a service entrance-looking swinging door on the other side. Going through that swinging door led to a short hallway with a few doors. Turns out the 15th floor is where all the suites are. I was assigned into the Regency Suite. As a lowly SPG Gold, I had no idea why I was upgraded into a suite.

All I can say is that I was amazed once I opened the door to the Regency Suite. A guest bathroom off to the left, the master bedroom (and master bathroom) straight ahead, a separate large sitting room to the right connected to an incredibly massive living room and dining room with a real fireplace. The suite was the size of an apartment! All rooms had floor to ceiling windows offering a spectacular view of Houston. This suite took up, what I estimate to be, almost a quarter of the entire 15th floor!

The Regency Suite was amazing. However, that being said, it was much, much too big for one person. (Yes, I know, I'm looking straight at the gift horse in the mouth right now.) With the hallways and different rooms, it did feel a little unsettling being in there all by myself. One other minor complaint--the rolldown vinyl-like shades in the master bedroom were so large that they would not roll up properly, and would get tangled up and jammed. (It was obvious other prior guests had the same problem as the shades were getting frayed on the edges.) That being said, the master bedroom (and master bathroom) were very, very comfortable. The king-sized Heavenly Bed was as heavenly as it should be, and the master bathroom was spacious, but not overwhelming. (The three flat-screen TVs were a nice touch!) Breakfast was included for my rate, and I was given a card to use at the White Oak Kitchen right outside the hotel in the Galleria mall. Breakfast was good.

As I'm not that familiar with Houston, other than knowing that it is sprawled all over, the location attached to the Galleria mall was nice. But I get the impression that if you want to see the sights of Houston, you'll definitely need a car to get around. Parking is kind of confusing at the Galleria mall and for the hotel, so be careful. That being said, all service points of contact at the Westin Galleria were exceptional. My car was waiting for me at the Westin Galleria valet when I checked out the next morning.

I'd definitely return to the Westin Galleria the next time. I haven't figured out why I was upgraded to the Regency Suite. I'm just wondering which VIP they thought I was!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Stayed at the Westin Galleria in May for business. The location of the hotel is nice, attached to the Galleria mall. The room was average, heavenly bed, LG flat screen TV, very tiny bathroom (door hits shower). I was displeased with the lack of service and recognition of my SPG Platinum status. I received a basic room on a low floor, even though the hotel was not close to sold out. If you are a platinum member looking for an upgrade or even a high floor room, this hotel has failed to comply on my only two visits. I would reccomend visiting the other SPG properties in the area over this property, they have shown much better service on stays.

• Stayed May 2011
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
First and foremost, I would like to sincerely thank you for your loyalty to our brand of hotels. As a Starwood Preferred Platinum member, we value your business and loyalty and we deeply regret your past visits with us fell short of your expectations. On a daily basis, our team strives to consistently provide our platinum members with upgrades, however, sometimes due to high occupancy and other factors, upgrades are not always available. I sincerely apologize you were assigned a room on a low floor that was not to your liking and I agree this is unacceptable. We do hope you give us an opportunity to make a better impression in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly via email at galle@westin.com to ensure you have a pleasant experience if or when you decide to return. We would certainly like for you to experience our newly transformed suites.

Danny

Been to Westin Galleria Houston Hotel? Share your experiences!