“Surprised this is a Westin -- not in a good way” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Galleria Houston Hotel

Save Saved
You added Westin Galleria Houston Hotel to your Saves list
Westin Galleria Houston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5060 West Alabama Street, Houston, TX 77056 (Great Uptown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #94 of 451 hotels in Houston
Austin, Texas
“Surprised this is a Westin -- not in a good way”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

When I hear Westin, I think pretty high-end. But that is not this hotel. It's dated, the rooms are boring, the TV channel selection is minimal. Here's something high-end, though: The price of room service. I was charged $50 for a salad, quesadilla and apple cobbler. The Internet will cost you $10/day. The service was excellent and my stay was pleasant. But I expected more for the price my company paid for this hotel. This hotel needs a major renovation and should be way more realistic about the price of the in-room dining. I'm reminded of something a colleague told me once: that by going down a notch on a hotel line, you get a lot more. If I had chosen a lower line of hotel, I would have probably gotten a free breakfast and free Internet.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2011
Dear Olivia99, our hotel recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation which included updates to our guest rooms, ballrooms and public areas. Many of our loyal guests are truly pleased with our new accommodations, however, we apologize our renovation fell short of your expectations. I would like to mention our renovation included new carpeting/ flooring through out our entire property, new and updated décor & artwork as well as modern and upscale furnishings. We recently transitioned all our televisions to high definition so our guests can now enjoy the full high definition experience while watching T.V on our new flat panel televisions. Regarding internet, I would like to let you know that we do offer free wireless internet in our lobby area and I apologize you were not informed of this during your visit. At Westin, our staff aims to consistently provide outstanding service to our guests and we are glad you were able to experience this first hand while in our hotel. Again, we apologize your stay was less than perfect. If, or when you would like to give us an opportunity to make a better impression, please do not hesitate in contacting me back directly via email at galle@westin.com.

541 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Our hotel was close to shopping which was great but the room itself was outdated and cramped for our family. The bathroom was not stocked with enough towels or toiletries. There was no bathrobe or hairdryer either-things I take for granted at Westin. The bathroom looks very outdated and the tub looked old and dirty. The hallways are the worst with flourescent lights which made us feel we were in a hospital rather than a hotel.
There is a restaurant outside in the mall which works well for dining but there is nothing in the hotel itself. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone as it seems like a typical conventioneer's hotel.
I was really surprised that Westin has fallen in their standards.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Dear Nolareview,

We are sincerely sorry to hear of the less than desirable experience you recently had in our hotel and we deeply regret the inconveniences you encountered regarding lack of amenities as well as room accommodations. We understand this must have been quite frustrating and inconvenient to say the least and we empathize with you. It is standard for us provide a bathrobe and hairdryer in all our guest rooms and I apologize we failed to overlook this. Please know that this experience was not the standard, but an exception. On a positive note, we are happy our location was accommodating to your shopping needs. If, you would like to give us an opportunity to make a better impression, please do not hesitate in contacting me back directly via email at galle@westin.com.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

The purpose of our trip was shopping at the Galleria so a hotel that linked directly to the mall was ideal and the sole reason for selecting this hotel. You literally were in the mall within 20 steps off the elevator.

The hotel projects a calm and soothing environment. The rooms decor are neutral and use texture to provide some depth. Very simple lines. I appreciated the floor to celing windows across the lenght of the room with a sliding glass door to let in fresh air. There is a small balcony that you can stand on to view the surrounding area. The bedding was yummy but the bed itself was way too hard so I was very, very disappointed on that front since one of Westin's features is their heavenly bed. It was not so and my whole family had a horrible sleep the entire trip. I did ask if we could have extra comforters sent up to layer on our beds to see if that would help. They sent up one little blanket. If you like firm mattresses, this place is for you. The room had lots of mirrors, huge closet, the desk had easy to access plugs and the hotel provided a refridgerator at no charge.

The staff over all was great with exception of the one person I spoke with to try to resolve the issues with the beds.

If it were not for the beds, I would stay here again. And probably would use the hotel again if there would have been concern to fix the situation.

Note: the directions link from the hotel are not correct. It's one block too short. You should turn on Sage versus McCue.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Michelle_MMS,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are happy your overall experience was delightful; however, we deeply regret you were disappointed with the quality of our signature heavenly bed. The Heavenly Bed, with its unique pillow top design provides the foundation for a deep, calming sleep and we regret this was not the case during your stay. I am glad to know an effort was made to make you feel comfortable but deeply regret a small blanket was the only item sent. Our hotel is attached to one of the largest malls in the country which allows our guests with limitless accessibility to an array of shops and several dining options. We are absolutely thrilled to hear our location was accommodating to your needs and convenient. We do hope you choose our hotel as your preferred place to stay when your journeys bring you back to Houston!

Be Well,
New Braunfels, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel as part of a convention. The room rate was reasonable; however, the in-roon frig was locked, bottled water by coffee pot was $2.50 each (had to read little tag), heard noise from street all night, our view was of the buildings across the street (none of the Houston vistas that they show on website), did not refill coffee pkgs second day, internet usage had fee, and it is not wi-fi (had to buy an ethernet cable in mall). A previous review said valet parking was $25 - we paid $27. Had breakfast at Daily Grill twice. First day the meal was $20 (could have gotten at iHop for $12) and the second day asked for a blueberry muffin and juice. We left after 15 minutes because everyone else was quickly getting served breakfasts yet we were told "the kitchen is busy and they were working on it" Come on - a blueberry muffin?!?!?! Traffic getting into hotel was awful and actually finding the hotel entrance was difficult. After parking the car did not want to leave to fight traffic to go anywhere so we were stuck browsing the mall. Many elite (expensive) shops, a few "ordinary", and a decent food court. It has an indoor ice rink. If they did a milliion dollar renovation, it wasn't in the bathrooms - must have been just the lobby. They were average bathrooms, something I would find at Hilton or Best Western (in fact, those might have been nicer...) The staff was nice. All in all, I would not rate this a 4-star, other than the fact it is near a more exclusive mall and has bellhop/valet service.
I will never stay at this one again and I will be hardpressed to stay at a Westin/Starwood atany other place.

Room Tip: Ask for mall side.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
Dear Sue-been-there,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Westin Galleria Houston. Please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges you encountered while being a guest of ours. I apologize your stay was absolutely nothing how you envisioned and we know you did not come to a hotel of our caliber to have this type of experience. We can assure you this stay was certainly not the standard, but an exception. At the Westin Galleria, we offer our guests spacious & newly renovated rooms located in a tranquil environment and we regret you did not experience this during your visit. We also offer free WIFI in our lobby as well as high speed internet and WIFI in our guest rooms. I would also like to mention that overnight parking with valet is $25 not including tax, and with tax it is $27. Again, thank you for your review. If, you would like to give us an opportunity to make a better impression in the future, please do not hesitate in contacting me back directly via email at galle@westin.com.

Hopewell, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

This hotel was the headquarters hotelfor VCU during the final four and their support and good wishes were over welming! Thanks we had a great time in Houston even though we didn't win.

Stayed April 2011
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Dear Molarman26,

We are absolutely thrilled you enjoyed your experience in our hotel during the Final Four. It was truly an honor in being able to serve and accommodate the VCU alumni and fans. We sincerely appreciate you taking a moment to share your experience with us and we hope to have you back as our guest soon!

Warmest regards,
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Hotel is in the Galleria which made shopping or window shopping very convenient. Many great restaurants within walking distance. Parking is with the mall so it is great after mall hours but not so great during peak mall hours. Rush hour traffic also makes getting in & out a little difficult. The room was very clean & confortable. The staff was very accommodating. I fell ill and ended up in the hospital on the last day of my stay. The staff and management made arrangements to hold my room with all my belongings until my wife arrived 2 days later.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Noname215,

Thank you so much for sharing your delightful experience with us. The Westin Galleria is attached to the fourth largest mall in the United States and we are glad you took full advantage of the numerous stores & restaurants located within this iconic complex. We are quite saddened to hear you became ill and it is truly inspiring to know our staff was prompt in making arrangements to hold your room and belongings. Again, thank you for your review and we hope you continue to choose the Westin Galleria as your preferred place to stay when your travels bring you to Houston!

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

Traveling with a large group, (VCU Fans for Final Four) there were lots of issues to clear up once we arrived at the hotel. The staff and management jumped in and solved the bed issues immediately. They also agreed to help with a damaged piece of luggage as it was hard to determine who was at fault. When you travel as much as i do, i would strongly recommend the Westin Galleria for a future Houston visit. Thanks for all you did to make my stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Be very specific about room needs at reservation.
  • Stayed March 2011
Dear JohnJay18s, we apologize for the issues you experienced upon your arrival to our hotel and we are truly glad to know our staff & management worked diligently in getting these issues resolved. At Westin, we aim to consistently provide outstanding service to our guests and we are thrilled you were able to experience this great service during your visit. We hope to have you back as our guest in the near future!

Be Well,

Been to Westin Galleria Houston Hotel? Share your experiences!