“Hotel Service to the Next Level” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 451 hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Hotel Service to the Next Level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Initially, I had reservations regarding boutique hotels. I always choose large chains because I know what to expect. I went out on a limb with The Lancaster, and I must say that I was thoroughly impressed. The hotel staff was very friendly, and I like the more intimate touch of the booking desk in lieu of some massive counter. The hotel is nicely designed, and located right in the middle of Houston's art district. I could go on, and rave about this place even more, but you should just read the other comments listed. I will make this my #1 choice for my future stays in Houston.

Room Tip: "Classy, intimate, perfect."
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We are glad to have converted you to our boutique hotel! What an honor to be considered your number one choice when visiting Houston. We appreciate your comments and remarks and look forward to seeing you again. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Lancaster Hotel recently for our anniversary. The first thing that struck us when we arrived was how friendly and attentive the staff was. We arrived at 9pm and we were checked in by Russell at the desk. He was so engaging and funny that we could have sat there and talked with him for an hour. A great first impression! We then went up to our room and it was perfect, exactly what were looking for. The hotel has a rich history in Houston and the recent renovation has preserved the best of the old and added just enough modern touches to make it really special. And the location is fantastic. It's walking distance from the theater district, great bars and restaurants and plenty of room to jog or just stroll. We will be staying there again. 5 very well deserved stars!

Room Tip: Call ahead, ask for Russell and tell him what you are looking for. He will make sure you have a memo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review. We strive to provide quality service that is unmatched! We hope to see you again. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Lancaster quite a few times. If you are going to Houston to see a show this is the BEST place to stay. Why you ask? Well here is why. First off the Lancaster has this really special feel to it. It is old and very well maintained, the service is excellent and they offer plenty of extras for the price. They were in a current state of renovation but they were doing it with great care and style to mix the old with the new. I'll get to some contrasting places in a moment.

This time we stayed in the Snow Suite on the 12th floor and it was very recently updated, actually so recently they were finishing final clean up of the newly installed wet bar in the separate sitting area. The beds here are amazing and they have ultra fine linens and pillows and very high end robes.

They offer a shuttle service anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel and they can make great recommendations say if you need a salon service or some shopping. This is very handy if you are celebrating and have already had a few drinks at their awesome bar that is in the restaurant. Which really has delicious food and the bar has a nice high end feel, not too swank or to hip, but very classy. Most the guests always seem to be very relaxed and I haven't really noticed any rug rats, and never any rif raf, so if you are looking for a night out with your significant other where you really can just unwind, this is a great place to go.

The suite we were in was really beautiful and completely updated. The restroom had a huge shower with white subway tile, glass doors, and octagonal tile in the shower floor. There was never a problem with the water pressure or keeping hot water. In fact, you can steam that whole room AND then get in the shower, lower the temp- it's extremely relaxing. Oh and impeccably clean. The floor of the restroom was a nice white marble as well as the sink vanity. I will post some pictures.

There were 2 tv's, one in the sitting room which had original floor to ceiling bookcases and an awesome little built in desk, the other tv was in the bedroom. We watched neither but it was nice to have you wanted to wind down, catch the news or if tv is your thing. There was also an ipod dock in both rooms. The Snow Suite is on the corner of the building and is the only suite that connects to their Presidential Suite. Many old school Hollywood stars of the 50's stayed in the Presidential suite and their entourage would stay in the adjourning Snow Suite. So that's a nifty little bit of intel. If you are into the history of places, and if you are looking at some of the other historical hotels downtown, The Lancaster has them all beat. Ask the person who you check in with to give you a little history on the place and you will be amazed. Wouldn't want to spoil everything!

Back to that restoration bit...
The Magnolia Hotel, for example, is a beautiful old hotel located around the same area and is also going thru a resto, but when you walk in - it is jarring and they have made some questionable choices with the decor. To me personally it looks tacky and trying too hard to revamp their image as 'cool'. And the Icon - well if you prefer a place with fake plastic topiary bushes outside, then go right ahead.

The history of the Lancaster is very intoxicating and it is a very romantic place. You can literally walk to Jones Hall, take the shuttle to the Hobby center, you can see all of the theater district. I would analytically recommend it. It's also worth the splurge to see when you check in if they have any suites you can upgrade to. You'll be happy you did. The room service is ultra fast too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, what a wonderful review. Reading this truly makes our day! We are thrilled that you have remained loyal guests throughout the years and we look forward to many more years of serving you!
-Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed an evening at the Lancaster at loved it. It is currently under renovation but that did not take away from the experience. It is a small boutique-like hotel. The rooms are very nice and the beds and pillows were so comfortable. The staff was very nice. A hotel shuttle took us to our restaurant and then picked us up from our show at the Hobby Center. Not to mention the price was right. I will be staying there my next visit to Houston.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at The Lancaster while in town to celebrate our anniversary. We had tickets to see "Wicked"; so, the location was ideal. They are in walking distance of many theaters and some nice restaurants too. They also have a car service for downtown destinations; so, we never had to move our car once we arrived. We really like that. The hotel has been renovated; yet, it still has a lot of the character I like in historic buildings. The rooms are completed and the new furniture in the lobby was just being delivered. I am anxious to see it once it has been all completed. The hotel's breakfast was very good and the staff very pleasant. We were already planning our next trip back before we left.

Room Tip: We liked being close to the corner of Louisiana Street. We could see the theaters and the park.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
We are honored that you chose our hotel to celebrate your anniversary - congratulations! As you know, we are conveniently located in the heart of the theater district, making it very easy to visit and enjoy a show without having to deal with traffic. We can't wait to welcome you back! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We love the Lancaster, having stayed there many times over the past ten years. It's the right size, located perfectly for the Theater District, and managed and staffed by fine people. We've always loved the comfortable rooms and the heritage decor, but are also excited about the renovation. Our room had already been renovated and the new shower, bathroom fixtures, stereo units, furniture, and decor are great. Can't wait to see the artwork when it arrives.

We always stay on the Art We Delightful package, which includes valet parking, a king-bedded room, either a $25 voucher good against dinner or two drink vouchers, then breakfast the next morning. Good value!

If you're looking for a good Italian restaurant within easy walking distance, try Perbacco, on the opposite side of Jones Hall...

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors to avoid street noise, and for better views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
What a lovely review - thank you! You are very loyal guests and we cannot thank you enough for your loyalty. We'll be using artwork that incorporates posters & playbills from the performing arts organizations in Houston - I am sure you will love it! As you know, the ARTS package is a very popular among our guests with its various perks. We hope to see you again! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I have recently stayed at your beautiful property and I must say that the renovations are gorgeous. Job well done and an extra Kudos to your entire team for doing an outstanding job at making your guests feel comfortable as you make this transition. We have stayed there before this particular trip and are always pleased. Your staff were gracious to my husband and I during our stay. We do not get the chance to get away often so, being treated so greatly while we were there was the icing on top. We stayed in Rm # 207 and it was really nice! We enjoyed the comfortable robes, the spacious room, the pull out drawers in the closet, the mini fridge, the luxury bedding and the beautiful bathroom. We did enjoy the wonderful breakfast with our stay and it was so nice to wake up knowing that you had a free hot breakfast waiting for you. The restaurant staff was very polite and attentive to our needs.

I would like to make a few constructive suggestions, if I may.
a) The bathrooms are beautiful and nicely redone however, there didn’t seem to be a towel rack next to the shower for convenience. I had to lay my towel on the toilet. Didn’t seem like the sanitary thing to do but I didn’t have much of a choice.
b) I loved my shower! Very nice! Took a long time for the water to heat up to a proper temp for a shower. I had to run it and wait at least 5 mins each time I showered. Once it got hot enough to shower…and boy, did it ever..lol. it got extremely hot. Not that I mind the heat but, some guests may not prefer their water scalding.
c) Valet cost is very high. I do not mind paying to have my car taken care of by your courteous valet attendants but, $30/ day seems a bit steep.
d) The elevators were incredibly slow. However, we were warned about them during check in and we appreciated that. The stairs were actually way faster than the elevator..lol.

I hope that you share my thoughts with your team in order to make for a more pleasant experience for your future guests. I want nothing else than for The Lancaster to be THE hotel for downtown Houston. Please extend a huge THANK YOU to your staff! This is what hospitality is all about! Job well done!

Taking the entire stay into account, my husband and I enjoyed our stay at The Lancaster very much and we would be absolutely thrilled at the chance to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad to hear that you like the renovations! Our staff constantly strives to ensure that our guests are pampered and feel like they're staying at a home away from home. Come back and see us! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Been to The Lancaster? Share your experiences!