“Another Excellent Stay at Our Favorite Houston Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 455 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Another Excellent Stay at Our Favorite Houston Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We love the Lancaster, having stayed there many times over the past ten years. It's the right size, located perfectly for the Theater District, and managed and staffed by fine people. We've always loved the comfortable rooms and the heritage decor, but are also excited about the renovation. Our room had already been renovated and the new shower, bathroom fixtures, stereo units, furniture, and decor are great. Can't wait to see the artwork when it arrives.

We always stay on the Art We Delightful package, which includes valet parking, a king-bedded room, either a $25 voucher good against dinner or two drink vouchers, then breakfast the next morning. Good value!

If you're looking for a good Italian restaurant within easy walking distance, try Perbacco, on the opposite side of Jones Hall...

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors to avoid street noise, and for better views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
What a lovely review - thank you! You are very loyal guests and we cannot thank you enough for your loyalty. We'll be using artwork that incorporates posters & playbills from the performing arts organizations in Houston - I am sure you will love it! As you know, the ARTS package is a very popular among our guests with its various perks. We hope to see you again! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I have recently stayed at your beautiful property and I must say that the renovations are gorgeous. Job well done and an extra Kudos to your entire team for doing an outstanding job at making your guests feel comfortable as you make this transition. We have stayed there before this particular trip and are always pleased. Your staff were gracious to my husband and I during our stay. We do not get the chance to get away often so, being treated so greatly while we were there was the icing on top. We stayed in Rm # 207 and it was really nice! We enjoyed the comfortable robes, the spacious room, the pull out drawers in the closet, the mini fridge, the luxury bedding and the beautiful bathroom. We did enjoy the wonderful breakfast with our stay and it was so nice to wake up knowing that you had a free hot breakfast waiting for you. The restaurant staff was very polite and attentive to our needs.

I would like to make a few constructive suggestions, if I may.
a) The bathrooms are beautiful and nicely redone however, there didn’t seem to be a towel rack next to the shower for convenience. I had to lay my towel on the toilet. Didn’t seem like the sanitary thing to do but I didn’t have much of a choice.
b) I loved my shower! Very nice! Took a long time for the water to heat up to a proper temp for a shower. I had to run it and wait at least 5 mins each time I showered. Once it got hot enough to shower…and boy, did it ever..lol. it got extremely hot. Not that I mind the heat but, some guests may not prefer their water scalding.
c) Valet cost is very high. I do not mind paying to have my car taken care of by your courteous valet attendants but, $30/ day seems a bit steep.
d) The elevators were incredibly slow. However, we were warned about them during check in and we appreciated that. The stairs were actually way faster than the elevator..lol.

I hope that you share my thoughts with your team in order to make for a more pleasant experience for your future guests. I want nothing else than for The Lancaster to be THE hotel for downtown Houston. Please extend a huge THANK YOU to your staff! This is what hospitality is all about! Job well done!

Taking the entire stay into account, my husband and I enjoyed our stay at The Lancaster very much and we would be absolutely thrilled at the chance to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad to hear that you like the renovations! Our staff constantly strives to ensure that our guests are pampered and feel like they're staying at a home away from home. Come back and see us! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Kirbyville, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Perfect place to stay in downtown Houston!. Great rates. Great Service. Nice rooms. Wonderful breakfast (in their Bistro downstairs). Just valet park your vehicle and take advantage of their free limo service to bring you to wherever your heart desires downtown. There's no better way to take in an Astros game or a play. I love this place!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed our various amenities, such as breakfast & car service! We hope to see you soon! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed at The Lancaster due to location to the Houston Ballet (1.5 blocks) and had a very nice stay. The hotel is under a complete remodel and the rooms are complete - the lobby, entrance and elevators (2) are not. The valet drivers did a good job directing guests through the attached Bistro restaurant door to enter the make-shirt lobby.

Rooms: The rooms were updated, clean and nice. They have double pain windows with black out shades and flat screen televisions. The free wifi worked well (not 100% but just reconnect when it drops). Rooms ending in 08 (308, 408, 608...) are corner rooms with two queens and a large bathroom. Friends stayed in a 05 and it was a king sized bed, with a small sofa and shower, no tub. The beds are *very* comfortable and they kindly leave you two Fiji waters (without charge) to put in the in-room refrigerator. These were much appreciated after walking to the ballet in the Houston heat. Traffic was loud but it is downtown Houston and our visit was on weekdays with business traffic.

Dining: The room came with daily buffet breakfast in their Bistro. It was very nice and included warm dishes of crisp bacon, diced potatoes, scrambled eggs and oatmeal. The cold items were granola, fruit, yogurt and pastries. There was also a toaster, orange juice, coffee and tea. The hostess, Rose, was SO cheerful and a bright spot to the morning.

Extra Info: There is no self-park option. Vallet is $30/night for guests. Ouch. There is no pool and I don't believe there is a gym, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Friendly staff, comfortable room, hot breakfast and free wi-fi make this a nice option in the theater district.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review. Come back and see the completed lobby! We hope to see you again when your travels bring you to Houston. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Lancaster is an historic in Houston's vibrant theater district. I have been a long time customer of both their bistro, when I lived in Houston for 15 years, and their hotel occasionally since moving to Austin 10 years ago. They are in the process of completing a needed renovation. Unfortunately they have chosen to install a rather drab color scheme of subdued blues and browns coupled with white pained molding and doors. The landing of each floor is a square of gray tiles. The hotel used to be decorated in what I would call an "Old English" or "huntclub" style with dark woods, lots of brass and horse prints. The new decor, although fresh and new, leaves the Lancaster looking like a Hilton, Hyatt or any one of a dozen other corporate hotels. Gone is it's unique charm. It's a shame a renovation could not have been done that kept the unique qualities of the old landmark. Ironically, I found a copy of Preservation magazine on the desk in my room!

The hotel still has it's great location and the staff were attentive and friendly. And it was bargain priced (possibly due to the ongoing renovations) for downtown Houston.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We understand that each and every guest has a particular taste in style and decor and we thank you for conveying yours. Please contact me during your next stay and I will be sure to provide a memento for you. I know you will enjoy this piece of Lancaster History.
-Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Seabrook, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our recent stay at the Lancaster was excellent. The hotel has a very friendly staff, and we liked our room very much. The location is outstanding, in downtown Houston, especially if you are visiting the theater area. In fact, its faster to use the men's room at the hotel, than wait in line during intermission at Jones Hall! The bartender, Dino, is wonderful, well worth the visit, and an excellent source of information.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! Many guests LOVE our location in the heart of the Theater District and we're glad you particularly enjoy this feature. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Beaumont, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I chose The Lancanster due to the availability of a shuttle and I love to stay at historical hotels. I was attending a concert at the Hobby Center and the location was also important. I knew that there was some construction going on, (which stopped at 5pm) but the rooms had already been remodeled. Speaking of the rooms...fabulous! The bed was most comfortable and the room was big enough for a sofa, chair, coffee table, and desk. I had 4 other people visit my room and there was plenty of area for everyone. Not much to look out from the window, but that is not a concern for me. The bathroom was really pretty, small, but ok for one person at a time. Now, the reason for the title of my review. it started with the young lady that I spoke with when making my reservation. Andrea was kind and did her best to make me happy with my reservation, which she accomplished. The front desk guy, please forgive that I don't remember his name, was the best! Always, I mean always, kind, considerate and even found me an item that I requested, because I had forgotten to bring it. He had some of the worst conditions to work in, a folding table and chair as the front desk, but never complained or stopped smiling. The Bistro, the restaurant located within the hotel, had great food and again, excellent service. There is a breakfast buffet that was really nice. The guys at Valet were very nice, never rude, although I know they were really hot standing outside. The shuttle was no problem and it even waited for us after the concert. For those that find it important, like me, the Wi-Fi is included with the price of your hotel room. Does the television matter to you? My room had a large flat screen hanging and can be swiveled to watch from the bed or the living room. Another important thing for me is that the room was cooled down before I walked in. It is the little things that matter to me. Do notice there is no pool which is of no importance to me, but may be to a family with children. I recommend this beautiful hotel and will stay there any time I am in the Theatre/Downtown area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We cannot thank you enough for kind words and this wonderful review. It is our goal to provide exceptional customer service to each and every guest and we are so very honored to serve you. We hope you come back to see the completed lobby - it will be beautiful! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Been to The Lancaster? Share your experiences!