“Best Downtown Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 456 Hotels in Houston
Kirbyville, Tx
“Best Downtown Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Perfect place to stay in downtown Houston!. Great rates. Great Service. Nice rooms. Wonderful breakfast (in their Bistro downstairs). Just valet park your vehicle and take advantage of their free limo service to bring you to wherever your heart desires downtown. There's no better way to take in an Astros game or a play. I love this place!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed our various amenities, such as breakfast & car service! We hope to see you soon! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed at The Lancaster due to location to the Houston Ballet (1.5 blocks) and had a very nice stay. The hotel is under a complete remodel and the rooms are complete - the lobby, entrance and elevators (2) are not. The valet drivers did a good job directing guests through the attached Bistro restaurant door to enter the make-shirt lobby.

Rooms: The rooms were updated, clean and nice. They have double pain windows with black out shades and flat screen televisions. The free wifi worked well (not 100% but just reconnect when it drops). Rooms ending in 08 (308, 408, 608...) are corner rooms with two queens and a large bathroom. Friends stayed in a 05 and it was a king sized bed, with a small sofa and shower, no tub. The beds are *very* comfortable and they kindly leave you two Fiji waters (without charge) to put in the in-room refrigerator. These were much appreciated after walking to the ballet in the Houston heat. Traffic was loud but it is downtown Houston and our visit was on weekdays with business traffic.

Dining: The room came with daily buffet breakfast in their Bistro. It was very nice and included warm dishes of crisp bacon, diced potatoes, scrambled eggs and oatmeal. The cold items were granola, fruit, yogurt and pastries. There was also a toaster, orange juice, coffee and tea. The hostess, Rose, was SO cheerful and a bright spot to the morning.

Extra Info: There is no self-park option. Vallet is $30/night for guests. Ouch. There is no pool and I don't believe there is a gym, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Friendly staff, comfortable room, hot breakfast and free wi-fi make this a nice option in the theater district.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review. Come back and see the completed lobby! We hope to see you again when your travels bring you to Houston. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Lancaster is an historic in Houston's vibrant theater district. I have been a long time customer of both their bistro, when I lived in Houston for 15 years, and their hotel occasionally since moving to Austin 10 years ago. They are in the process of completing a needed renovation. Unfortunately they have chosen to install a rather drab color scheme of subdued blues and browns coupled with white pained molding and doors. The landing of each floor is a square of gray tiles. The hotel used to be decorated in what I would call an "Old English" or "huntclub" style with dark woods, lots of brass and horse prints. The new decor, although fresh and new, leaves the Lancaster looking like a Hilton, Hyatt or any one of a dozen other corporate hotels. Gone is it's unique charm. It's a shame a renovation could not have been done that kept the unique qualities of the old landmark. Ironically, I found a copy of Preservation magazine on the desk in my room!

The hotel still has it's great location and the staff were attentive and friendly. And it was bargain priced (possibly due to the ongoing renovations) for downtown Houston.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We understand that each and every guest has a particular taste in style and decor and we thank you for conveying yours. Please contact me during your next stay and I will be sure to provide a memento for you. I know you will enjoy this piece of Lancaster History.
-Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Seabrook, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our recent stay at the Lancaster was excellent. The hotel has a very friendly staff, and we liked our room very much. The location is outstanding, in downtown Houston, especially if you are visiting the theater area. In fact, its faster to use the men's room at the hotel, than wait in line during intermission at Jones Hall! The bartender, Dino, is wonderful, well worth the visit, and an excellent source of information.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! Many guests LOVE our location in the heart of the Theater District and we're glad you particularly enjoy this feature. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Beaumont, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I chose The Lancanster due to the availability of a shuttle and I love to stay at historical hotels. I was attending a concert at the Hobby Center and the location was also important. I knew that there was some construction going on, (which stopped at 5pm) but the rooms had already been remodeled. Speaking of the rooms...fabulous! The bed was most comfortable and the room was big enough for a sofa, chair, coffee table, and desk. I had 4 other people visit my room and there was plenty of area for everyone. Not much to look out from the window, but that is not a concern for me. The bathroom was really pretty, small, but ok for one person at a time. Now, the reason for the title of my review. it started with the young lady that I spoke with when making my reservation. Andrea was kind and did her best to make me happy with my reservation, which she accomplished. The front desk guy, please forgive that I don't remember his name, was the best! Always, I mean always, kind, considerate and even found me an item that I requested, because I had forgotten to bring it. He had some of the worst conditions to work in, a folding table and chair as the front desk, but never complained or stopped smiling. The Bistro, the restaurant located within the hotel, had great food and again, excellent service. There is a breakfast buffet that was really nice. The guys at Valet were very nice, never rude, although I know they were really hot standing outside. The shuttle was no problem and it even waited for us after the concert. For those that find it important, like me, the Wi-Fi is included with the price of your hotel room. Does the television matter to you? My room had a large flat screen hanging and can be swiveled to watch from the bed or the living room. Another important thing for me is that the room was cooled down before I walked in. It is the little things that matter to me. Do notice there is no pool which is of no importance to me, but may be to a family with children. I recommend this beautiful hotel and will stay there any time I am in the Theatre/Downtown area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We cannot thank you enough for kind words and this wonderful review. It is our goal to provide exceptional customer service to each and every guest and we are so very honored to serve you. We hope you come back to see the completed lobby - it will be beautiful! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Lancaster hotel is the best kept secret in town. It is home away from home. The hotel is a family-owned hotel and you can tell. They treat guests as close friends; their location is beyond perfect for anyone going to the symphony, theater, or ballet. Over the years I have stayed at the Lancaster and my recent stay was celebrating birthday week - needless to say it started on the right note. The hotel staff despite going through renovations can’t do enough for you. Sevice is impeccable. Andrea (Stigliano) was sweet enough not only to send some flowers but some chocolates and fruit that I shared with my friend. Sarah (Demaret – front desk manager) has always accommodated all my requests during my visits. The Lancaster is a charming, historic hotel. The hotel is undergoing upgrades throughout and they are doing a marvelous job of keeping as much of the charm as possible but modernizing the hotel to accommodate for today's traveler. The upgraded rooms have a safe and refrigerator, the colors are much lighter with a “Ralph Lauren” look, but thank goodness the beds are the same and luxurious in every way possible; lots of closet space and the bathrooms have a very clean modern finish. The hotel provides a wonderfully yummy full breakfast and whilst they did not have the buffet during my last visit they did still provide breakfast from the A la Carte menu. My recommendation is to have the “The Lancaster”. In addition to the free breakfast the hotel has a complimentary Happy Hour as well as a Shuttle that takes you within 3 mile radius. The service is truly excellent - housekeeping was very prompt when they came to my rescue. I would most certainly recommend this hotel to anyone for business or pleasure who is looking for something special and being centrally located in downtown Houston.

Room Tip: Request for Room 706 or a room with a view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
What a wonderful review. This has truly made our day! We strive to go above and beyond in our services for each and every guest. We are so very honored to be considered your 2nd home! We look forward to welcoming you again. Many thanks for the review. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Houston, Texas USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I wanted to surprise my husband for his birthday on July 4, 2013. The Lancaster was the perfect spot due to the ideal location. I booked the July 4th package which included free valet parking, drink coupons, and breakfast as well as complementary transportation within 3 miles of the hotel. I was concerned that their current remodel of the hotel would be a problem but they assured me that the guests rooms were completed and that the lobby which was still under construction was discretely shielded from view. The newly remodeled rooms in the suite we stayed in were AMAZING! High end bathroom and upbeat comfortable decor. Our room was a perfect location to view the fireworks from Freedom over Texas. When entering our suite we were greeted with a nice bottle of wine and a special berry and chocolate truffle treat. We used the limousine service which was comfortable and punctual. All staff throughout our stay were most accommodating. We enjoyed a great breakfast with lots of choices! The remodel was as discreet as they had described during booking. Our stay could not have been better for my husband's birthday in this beautiful, quiet hotel. This is an awesome value and we will stay again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that you enjoyed the 4th of July package and our various amenities! We have spent many hours working on the hotel renovation so that we can offer the very best to each and every guest. It is nice to hear that you think so highly of our guest rooms. We hope to see you again in the future and it is such an honor to serve you! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Been to The Lancaster? Share your experiences!