“Family friendly resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Houstonian

You added The Houstonian to your Saves list
The Houstonian
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   111 North Post Oak Lane, Houston, TX 77024 (Great Uptown)   |
Ranked #28 of 456 Hotels in Houston
San Antonio, Texas
“Family friendly resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Pros:

1. Shaded. Love that this resort is shorter than the trees around it - which means shades everywhere! I love that since it's very hot here in Texas.

2. I really like the cushioned jogging path around the property. Again, about 80% of this path is shaded.

3. You have complimentary access to their sports club. Not all are free though such as the wall climbing is $7.50 for 30 mins. I do t know what else have surcharge since I didn't use them. For sure tennis and basketball are free.

4. Trellis Spa on the property. Jade is fantastic. I'm only inquiring and jade made me feel welcome and not intimidated. She even gave me samples of Natura Bisse which I ended up ordering online. Jade should be the manager - very personable. They do charge you $25 to use the facility however free if you book a service. I ended up not using the facility since the family decided to go somewhere.

5. Everybody who works in that hotel are very nice!!! They are trained well. Love them all.

6. They do provide extra services such as shuttle service to the Galleria Mall for free, room service, etc. it can't comment on the quality of the service since I didn't use them.

7. Rooms are clean...didn't see any flaws.

8. I love that they don't charge a resort fee.

9. Love the pool - my 9 year old had a blast. The do have adult only area and lap pool area.

10. They do provide you with Keurig, lock box, snack bar.

Cons:
1. Confusing check-in. We were very confuse as to where to drive in. Hopefully they fix their signs and actually state "Hotel Check-in".

2. They do charge for self-parking per night. I think it's $15. They do provide valet for $25 I think.

3. Parking lot stinks!

4. Elevator from the lobby to the First floor doesn't work. Confusing lay-out but then you'll get the hang of it. It's actually easy to navigate after you learn your ways around the property.

5. At the time I stayed (July 2014), they are undergoing some renovation of their sports club.

6. May be it's just me, but my skin is sensitive....I can't tolerate sheets that are not cotton. They used sheets that feels like mix polyester. Does not feel luxurious at all. I actually started breaking out badly on my face and my left butt cheeks have these brown spots. Again, I guess I'm just sensitive to that kind of material.

7. Television kept on dimming on me (I'm at room 113) hopefully they'll fix it soon.

8. Restroom are too small.

9. My standard King room felt small.

10. My husband ordered a drink (cost around $8)-- he took about 3 sips - went for a swim - he came back and it has been cleaned-up! I guess just like to clean. I know they didn't mean that but my husband was furious. His fault for not letting the staff know.

Overall, my son had a great time. If he had a blast...vacation is then a success!!! As for me, I think I will stick to Hyatt Hill Country Resort in San Antonio. I'm more of a spa vacationer. This is a great place if the purpose of your vacation is an active one.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
College Station
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I stayed for 9 nights and enjoyed it a lot. The deco and ambience is soothing and relaxing. Room service is good. Staff are helpful and friendly. There is a spa in the complex which is convenient and great. It's popular so please book in advance. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed July 2014
Katy, Texas, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Exactly the reason I chose the Houstonian. Excellent service, very comfortable and clean room. This was just the weekend we need to relax and unwind. Access to the Trellis Spa and the Houstonian Gym facility. The running track was great (padded one miler). All-in-all I could not have asked for more.

Room Tip: We had the concierge level so were up on the fourth floor. We had room 412 which was nice, away from...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Houstonian is a great hidden gem in Houston. Tucked away in the woods, this low key
yet luxurious property is surrounded by lush greenery, a fabulous health club, spa and delicious food on property. Dinner at the Olivette, followed by drinks and lunch the next day at the Manor House provide delicious and beautiful dining. What a treat! ( Great staff throughout)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This place is great. They took really great care of us and the rooms a huge! The air conditioner actually works in this place unlike many of the chain hotels. The bathroom is huge! Walking in you think you are in Wyoming or somewhere out west. The fireplace is amazing in the lobby.

Stayed July 2014
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Great mother & daughter getaway weekend spent almost entirely at The Trellis on the grounds of The Houstonian Hotel. With spa treatment reservations made only one day in advance we spent the 4th of July between the spa waterfall pool, the whirlpool, and the Tranquillity Room nestled up with a great book on the most comfy divan complete with a chenille blanket and a cozy fireplace. On Saturday we returned for more spoiling and mother daughter time by booking a manicure which again gave us complete spa faculty privileges for $40! The Trellis has a lovely decor with the fragrant aromas to make for the most relaxing retreat imaginable. The best part was just chilling with my daughter and enjoying coffees and teas and simply catching up. The hotel stay was great too with a great restaurant offering first class cuisine at a very reasonable rate. Room service was quick and also a great value. The weekend was rainy which only added to the ambiance! Can't wait to go back.

Stayed July 2014
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Just stayed 5 days on concierge level and was the most wonderful stay. Everyone so helpful and friendly. Concierge lounge was brilliant and peaceful. The best fitness club ever with a fantastic array of sports and fitness classes. Valet were all polite and driver to Galleria was extremely pleasant. Could not fault service in any area. Bottled water on exit was always nicely chilled. All round a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Houstonian? Share your experiences!