“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Houstonian

You added The Houstonian to your Saves list
The Houstonian
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   111 North Post Oak Lane, Houston, TX 77024 (Great Uptown)   |
Ranked #22 of 469 Hotels in Houston
Calgary, Canada
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Went solo for buisness. Room was very nice and clean and comfortable bed. Check in was nice and quick. Self parking was a bit weird, didn't see an elevator up to the check in floor so suitcase up over stairs it was! Very nice resort style pool, also a smaller warmer pool that was nice and quiet. Would be perfect if you could get drink service more easily pool side. Service at the bar next to the lobby was very good and it was a great place to grab a drink, had a live band playing some nice instruments. Rooms service food was decent and service again was good. Would return for sure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I can see why you might visit the Houstonian and not leave it during your stay, although you should see Houston properly. The problem is that the Houstonian has everything, from wonderfully comfortable beds and L'Occitane toiletries to the largest gym I have ever visited, three pools and a full service beauty salon, which unfortunately I didn't have time to visit. The only reason I didn't give it an excellent rating was because the air conditioning was very noisy, my fault for keeping it on, you might say. Book early if you want to go to the Houstonian, it's a very special place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the corridor, preferably on the concierge level.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
College Station, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I decided to take our three sons (16, 14, and 8) on a short "mini vacay" to Houston this past weekend and chose The Houstonian based on raving reviews on this site. While I will say that the property is absolutely gorgeous and would be the perfect venue for a wedding or anniversary celebration, I was completely disappointed in our experience. It started out with being given a room with a king bed and a pull out sofa. I had booked a room with two queen beds. When I inquired, I was told that this room was all that was available for "my rate". Not sure what that meant...I booked through booking.com and the rate was the same on every site that I looked at. It was said as if I had used a *gasp* coupon or something. lol Anyway, we decide to have a good attitude about it, afterall, teenage boys don't mind a sofa bed I suppose. The room was nice enough but nothing to write home about. The bathroom was tiny...no biggie. I have a feeling a double queen room would've been slightly larger and more comfortable. Oh and I have to mention the hotel's "scent program" or whatever they call it. It's horrible! If you are sensitive to perfumy, air freshener smells, I suggest staying elsewhere. It's quite obnoxious.

The most disappointing aspect of our trip was the pool experience. Our main goal for this short trip was to relax and lounge by the pool and enjoy a cocktail or two. Sadly, there are no drink options besides a few bottled beers and a bottled margarita (which would have been okay if they could have provided a cup of ice to go with it, but not was not available...no idea why). The pool was nice and beautiful but there was no festive atmosphere whatsoever. They have overbearing lifeguards that blow their whistles at the smallest sthings. They even make all the kids under 12 get out every so often for a 10 minute rest period. It was so strange. My boys where each reprimanded several times and threatened with being kicked out of the pool for basically, having fun (the horror!). I'm all for safety but seriously, they could hardly make a splash without being called down. At one point a manager even came over to my husband and I to tell us to keep our boys in control. My boys are boys but they are NOT wild and misbehaving boys. I had them in my sights pretty much every second and saw them do NOTHING that I would consider inappropriate other than maybe a slight trot around the pool's edge a couple of times which I don't mind them being reprimanded for. It was seriously ridiculous how they were treated. When the manager came over to speak to me, she pointed out that there were others around with small children that could possibly be hurt by my boys playing catch (away from the crowded areas) with a small ball that was meant to be played with in a pool. Anyway, you get the picture. You might like this place if you have children under 5 years old and you might appreciate the overbearing lifeguards. I did not. On a positive not, I did have an excellent salad from the snack bar...baby greens with a citrus vinaigrette and I added the grilled shrimp to it. It was so tasty!

Other positives, we had room service breakfast and it was really good and they provide Keurig coffee makers (which I knew about ahead of time) so you can bring you own fav coffee to make.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear kimmyintexas,
Thank you for your comments. In spite of your unfavorable review, I am pleased you found things to enjoy at The Houstonian, including food service and the provided Keurig coffee maker. It appears to me that your dissatisfaction centers around your opinions regarding our team’s efforts to ensure the safety and comfort of all Houstonian poolside guests. As a father of two sons, I know that what I consider to be well behaved may be challenged by others, particularly when small children are present. Such was the case during your time at the pool. I am sorry you felt our lifeguards were overbearing and overly restrictive. We are all challenged at times to find the right balance between exuberant fun and safety, yet our duty is always to favor the latter. When you were reached on the phone by one of our executives, you seemed more collected and less emotionally charged about the situation than is reflected in your review. It is unfortunate that your anger about our pool safety protocol is what prompted your poor review of our entire property. I regret that you chose not to bring your concerns to our attention during your stay, when they could have been addressed; at this point there is nothing for us to do other than offer an apology. I am sorry that you feel the way you do, yet hope that you will return as our guest in the future, given you live just a short drive away.
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just returned from a conference and a three night stay here. The place was comfortable and in an oasis type setting away from urban life. The staff were friendly and helpful.

I cannot really see a downside to staying here, unless you want an urban setting and walking around downtown Houston. All in all, a very pleasant stay.

I concur that bathrooms are small. I have a picture of that with this review. The beds were comfortable and the concierge floor is a must do if at all possible. The service and food was quite good in the concierge lounge.

The pumpkin soup was tasteless in the dining room, but other things were quite good.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels. I would return here.

Room Tip: Concierge floor is a big bonus
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Short Hills, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was my 2nd stay at the Houstonian. Really a wonderful hotel in a unique setting. My only real issue with the place is getting into the hotel as the roadway in and the circle right outside the hotel is a disaster, simply cannot handle the flow of traffic when it's busy. Small issue with the small bathrooms and the sandpaper like towels but that's it. Beds are very comfy, rooms are up to date, great lobby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Houstonian Hotel (& Club & Spa) is my family's favorite hotel retreat when they come to Houston. I cannot exaggerate the comfort and sense of relaxation that this hotel has provided to them over the years - thanks Houstonian! It's a Houston landmark, so I don't know why more reviewers aren't singing its praises here. Everything you expect from a top hotel is here (spotless rooms, comfortable beds, grand lobby, service to the hilt), but the Houstonian has so much more character than your other five-stars. It is a perfect hotel-club on a sprawling 18+ acres of lush green forest - you've got to see it. Esp. for families (proximity to Galleria & Post Oak restaurants), professional executives (proximity to downtown), and couples (golf course, spa, tennis) - you don't get any fakey cosmopolitan vibes that attract the happy hour crowd. When you come, call ahead or investigate online to get the latest ongoing deals.

I share the other reviewer's comments about the concierge floor - which is great.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Aalborg, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the houstonian for 3 days. The surroundings are fantastics, and the service is great.
We has a "standard" room, it was clean and quiet. With the exception of a power blackout out, we have nohting bad to say about this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Houstonian? Share your experiences!