“Officially My All-Time Favorite Hotel Ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Houstonian

You added The Houstonian to your Saves list
The Houstonian
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   111 North Post Oak Lane, Houston, TX 77024 (Great Uptown)   |
Ranked #23 of 468 Hotels in Houston
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Officially My All-Time Favorite Hotel Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel made us so happy! The Houstonian is definitely a luxury hotel, although it stands out as unique and incomparable to anyplace else centered in a metropolitan area. For being in the middle of the city, the grounds are so quiet and woodsy - we felt we were tucked away out of town honestly - and there are only 4 quiet floors. We stayed on the Concierge level, mostly because we wanted to have a Continental breakfast available, but the amenities did not stop there. They also offered twice daily housekeeping, evening drinks and fresh snacks, and 2 hours later of decadent sweets to freakin' die for. Very high quality foods & liqueurs. We did nothing but binge & indulge! Our room was so elegantly decorated with a wall of tinted glass looking out into the swaying trees - very dreamy. The bed and pillows felt like puffs of clouds, & i couldn't believe my neck wasn't sore from the squishy pillows. Bath tub was nice & deep, & they offer L'Occitane products.
The big attraction here was definitely the Grande stone fireplace down in the lobby. So warm and oppulent - i found myself just wanting to sit in there just because it is so damn cozy.
The club facilities are fabulous and so expansive. Something for any kind of person. And plenty for kids too...There is also a great jogging/walking path around the hotel that is cushioned and shaded, my 2 favorite things. :) We ate at the Olivette, which of course was uh-mazing eating. The steak was superb.
Everything here is high-end, so bring your high expectations. The staff will not disappoint either. They want to please and do a great job. This is officially my all-time favorite hotel.

Room Tip: The 4th floor is ideal if you're traveling with children, as the snacks & drinks are plentif...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was the second time we have stayed at the Houstonian. It is a very nice and low key hotel located near the Galleria, Uptown, and Memorial Park. Check in was a breeze and the staff was courteous and polite. Our room was a little warm when we entered but I adjusted the thermostat and the room cooled quickly. Our room was not large but it was not small either. Plenty of room to walk around. The king size bed was very comfortable. The restroom was small and somewhat tight for two people to use while getting dressed.
One of the things I have noticed on both my stays is how quiet the halls are. No hallway noise to speak of and no room doors slamming. Our sleep was undisturbed.
There is a restaurant on site. The breakfast was great. There is also a bar which at times can be crowded and somewhat loud but it has a friendly atmosphere.
This hotel is not for you if you want the bustle and noise of nearby businesses or clubs. If you are looking for a laid back hotel. Then I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at the Houstonian for two nights in October for a stopover between Texas and the UK. The hotel is well maintained and our host on the concierge level couldn't have been more helpful. Breakfast, nibbles and dessert in the concierge level lounge are well presented and taste exquisite. We liked the in-hotel restaurant so much that we decided to have dinner there twice. The sports club is a vast complex full of tanned and trained Houstonians and certainly adds value to the hotel.

Our room was spacious with a very conservative and had all mod cons that I would expect at this price level. Only criticism I had is the lack of sound proofing, as in the morning the loud thumps and vibrations of the closing doors all over the 4th floor would prevent any more sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

this is my second time staying at this hotel for the CSI summit user conference. The hotel service and accommodations are the best I have experienced. The conference rooms are well suited for the presentations and snacks are provided throughout the day. Breakfast and Lunch are served for this event and the meals are well balanced, there is always a vegetarian option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Houstonian Hotel definitely has a resort-style feel to it. I stayed for 2 nights and felt more time was needed to fully explore the entire venue. I read that the fitness center is one of the largest in the world... and they were not lying. If you're into fitness and sports, you'll appreciate the Houstonian Club and Spa. Multiple pools (including lap pools), indoor and outdoor tennis courts, even an indoor climbing center. Name it, you have it. The actual gym has everything you need for your typical workout. I like that there is a cafe where you can have breakfast or a protein shake after your workout.
The rooms of the hotel are clean, spacious, fully equipped with a large flat screen TV (large variety of channels including HBO) and very comfy beds. The service provided by the personnel is of high quality.
I had breakfast at the Olivette and was really impressed by the food and fast service. The Fritatta was absolutely delicious. The prices are very reasonable for the big portions they offer.
My only critique is the fact they charge 15$ for self parking. If you are able to afford staying at the Houstonian, 15$ is nothing in comparison. Still, I like to have a free parking option wherever I go to.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at the Houstonian and I would highly recommend anyone visiting Houston for a short period of time to stay there (especially fitness enthusiasts).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
shreveport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

First off this is a huge complex. It is easier to find but can be difficult to manuever once inside the complex. The valet guys are great. They take your luggage, get your information and zoom away with your car (valet parking is $28/night). These are some nice guys and for $28 I expect it. The desk clerks were lovely as well. My room was not yet ready, no fault of the hotel as I arrived 3 hours prior to check-in for a conference. However they offered to text me when my room was ready which I thought was great. When the room was ready, they informed me my luggage was already in the room and it was. The room was beautiful. The furniture looked great and of high quality; not cheap like most hotels. The hotel had free wifi in the rooms and the common areas however my AT&T cell phones would not work but my Verizon phone was a champ. When I returned to my room a little after 7 that evening, the lamps in my room had been turned on, my bed turned down, a chocolate placed on my pillow and the iHome radio was playing some ocean sounds. It was a nice touch. There were lots of amenities in the room: an umbrella, extra towels, iron/ironing board, flashlight, laundry bag, electronics panel, Keurig, etc. The couch in my room was very comfortable and the ottoman/coffee table was great. I sat on the couch comfortably and worked while watching TV...the big 48 inch TV was a plus as was two HBO options. So everything was nice...now here are some complaints...however minor. The hallways are difficult to traverse...they look alike and there is very little signage telling you which way to go for your room. My biggest complaint is the location of my room was horrible in that, I literally had to walk half a mile (I used a pedometer) to get to my room from the elevator and back. No I do not mind the walk but when you are carrying a lot of stuff.. and what if there is a fire...just a small issue but still.

Room Tip: Get by the elevator
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

This weekend marked my fourth visit to THE HOUSTONIAN in recent months. Superb service at every turn. Concierge level offers a lovely lounge with almost constant nibbles. And Olivette--the restaurant is very accommodating. I ate by myself most recently and was made to feel totally comfortable. My only wish is that the rooms had more light. Oh--and I love to use the fitness center. The classes are great! I'm back again next weekend!

• Stayed November 2012
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear cotney, thank you for your comments. I am very pleased you enjoyed your visit and found superb service at every turn. Given our pride in providing excellent service and care for our guests, I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our entire team.

Been to The Houstonian? Share your experiences!