“Top Notch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Houstonian

Save Saved
You added The Houstonian to your Saves list
The Houstonian
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   111 North Post Oak Lane, Houston, TX 77024 (Great Uptown)   |
Ranked #18 of 451 hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Top Notch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Houstonian Hotel definitely has a resort-style feel to it. I stayed for 2 nights and felt more time was needed to fully explore the entire venue. I read that the fitness center is one of the largest in the world... and they were not lying. If you're into fitness and sports, you'll appreciate the Houstonian Club and Spa. Multiple pools (including lap pools), indoor and outdoor tennis courts, even an indoor climbing center. Name it, you have it. The actual gym has everything you need for your typical workout. I like that there is a cafe where you can have breakfast or a protein shake after your workout.
The rooms of the hotel are clean, spacious, fully equipped with a large flat screen TV (large variety of channels including HBO) and very comfy beds. The service provided by the personnel is of high quality.
I had breakfast at the Olivette and was really impressed by the food and fast service. The Fritatta was absolutely delicious. The prices are very reasonable for the big portions they offer.
My only critique is the fact they charge 15$ for self parking. If you are able to afford staying at the Houstonian, 15$ is nothing in comparison. Still, I like to have a free parking option wherever I go to.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at the Houstonian and I would highly recommend anyone visiting Houston for a short period of time to stay there (especially fitness enthusiasts).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

415 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
shreveport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

First off this is a huge complex. It is easier to find but can be difficult to manuever once inside the complex. The valet guys are great. They take your luggage, get your information and zoom away with your car (valet parking is $28/night). These are some nice guys and for $28 I expect it. The desk clerks were lovely as well. My room was not yet ready, no fault of the hotel as I arrived 3 hours prior to check-in for a conference. However they offered to text me when my room was ready which I thought was great. When the room was ready, they informed me my luggage was already in the room and it was. The room was beautiful. The furniture looked great and of high quality; not cheap like most hotels. The hotel had free wifi in the rooms and the common areas however my AT&T cell phones would not work but my Verizon phone was a champ. When I returned to my room a little after 7 that evening, the lamps in my room had been turned on, my bed turned down, a chocolate placed on my pillow and the iHome radio was playing some ocean sounds. It was a nice touch. There were lots of amenities in the room: an umbrella, extra towels, iron/ironing board, flashlight, laundry bag, electronics panel, Keurig, etc. The couch in my room was very comfortable and the ottoman/coffee table was great. I sat on the couch comfortably and worked while watching TV...the big 48 inch TV was a plus as was two HBO options. So everything was nice...now here are some complaints...however minor. The hallways are difficult to traverse...they look alike and there is very little signage telling you which way to go for your room. My biggest complaint is the location of my room was horrible in that, I literally had to walk half a mile (I used a pedometer) to get to my room from the elevator and back. No I do not mind the walk but when you are carrying a lot of stuff.. and what if there is a fire...just a small issue but still.

Room Tip: Get by the elevator
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

This weekend marked my fourth visit to THE HOUSTONIAN in recent months. Superb service at every turn. Concierge level offers a lovely lounge with almost constant nibbles. And Olivette--the restaurant is very accommodating. I ate by myself most recently and was made to feel totally comfortable. My only wish is that the rooms had more light. Oh--and I love to use the fitness center. The classes are great! I'm back again next weekend!

• Stayed November 2012
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear cotney, thank you for your comments. I am very pleased you enjoyed your visit and found superb service at every turn. Given our pride in providing excellent service and care for our guests, I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our entire team.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is one of Houston's premier hotels. Stately, grand, sophisticated. Tucked back into a densely-wooded forest, the hotel turns every room into a private treehouse. While it's not geared towards families, it's definitely family friendly, with a water slide pool and access to a rock climbing wall, basketball and tennis courts. Because of its connection to the Houstonian Sports Club you have all the latest fitness equipment at your disposal, along with a jogging track that winds its way around the compound. I found the service impeccable. On my first visit, when we brought our infant son, they set up a crib in the room and gave him a complimentary teddy bear that we have to this day (he's 16 now). Going back this September, it was great to see that nothing had changed, and that it has weathered the years very well.

Room Tip: They're all really great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jim H, I appreciate you taking time to review your stay. Thank you for entrusting us with serving your family over the years. I am pleased to know the quality of service has brought you back to The Houstonian. I look forward to welcoming you personally during your next visit.
Beaufort, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Returning to the Houstonian is like visiting a treasured friend. I love everything about it, from the gracious and beautifully trained staff to the beautiful grounds. It even smells wonderful as they pipe a lovely scent through the airconditioning in the common areas. Food is terrific, spa is perfect, and the health club is stellar.

The Houstonian has charisma, if it is possible for an inanimate object to do that. I just love being there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear bossysooz, thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed many aspects of our property, including the food, spa and Club. Thank you for your business, we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is one of my favorites when I travel for business. It has everything I would want in a hotel plus. The rooms are in a traditional style, comfortable and are very nicely decorated. The last room I stayed in had a small couch and floor to ceiling windows looking out into a forested area. Of course, the room also had a desk and chair which is a must for business travelers. I also appreciate the make up mirror in the bathroom which not all hotels have. The lobby area is also lovely with a huge stone fireplace. The gym is by far the best I have ever seen in a hotel; it is a large stand alone fitness center. The only downside is that you have to go outside the hotel building to get to it (it is still on the property, just next door). The hotel feels like it is in the middle of a forest, I love the fact that you don't feel like you are in a city. I haven't eaten at any of the restaurants but have ordered room service and the food is very good and reasonably priced. Customer service is also excellent, they do make an extra effort for the guest. Most of the hotels I stay in for business are perfectly nice but nothing special. I would definitely put this one in the special category.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DearCAL31M, I am pleased to know you consider The Houstonian special and one of your favorite Houston hotels. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here two nights for a wedding in Houston. We chose it because we both like the use of a gym and pools. They were far better than I imagined. We didn't want to leave the property, and didn't, except for the wedding. The gym, which is private and members only, allows access for the hotel guests and is the largest and most comprehensive I have seen anywhere. The lap pool is magnificent. Everything is beautifully maintained and the staff is friendly.

The hotel is older, but like so much of Houston, has a certain stylishness that I like. It is located on an old estate with failry extensive grounds and trails. However, you can hear the folks next door and the doors slamming in the halls--not so great in the middle of the night. The room was very nice otherwise, with fine linens, toiletries and a very comfortable bed and floor to ceiling window with a peaceful view of a wooded area.

We enjoyed very good service. We had mistakenly reserved for the wrong weekend and showed up a month later. Our credit card had been charged for one night as a penalty for the no-show. The front desk was very accommodating, canceled the charge and gave us the same special rate for a room on the concierge level, as those were the only rooms left. So we had free drinks (open bar), desserts and continental breakfast each day in the "exclusive" lounge on our floor. Nice bonus for our mistake.

I will definitely return if ever again in Houston.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Gordon12345, Thank you for staying with us during your time in Houston. I am pleased you found the hotel beautifully maintained and the staff to be friendly and accommodating. We appreciate your review and look forward to serving you again soon.

Been to The Houstonian? Share your experiences!