“Staff made me feel at home” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #122 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Cleveland, Ohio
“Staff made me feel at home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The exceptional service was the definition of hospitality! I felt genuinely welcomed and cared for by the staff. Rita warmly greeted me each evening by name when I returned to the hotel, and I felt as a welcome guest in someone's home. I was fortunate to have Ali deliver my meals hot and delicious to my room each evening with exceptional courtesy and genuine caring. The breakfast each morning was excellent. I look forward to returning to the Crowne Plaza on my next visit to Houston.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CPNorthwest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay with us. It is always nice to hear the positive feedback about the team. Rita and Ali are two of our strongest assets and I have shared your comments with them. We look forward to hosting your next visit to the Houston area.

Dave Comerota

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Indonesian first
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This property is very tired. The rooms need updating badly. Old peeling wallpaper coupled with a malfunctioning bathtub faucet were my first impressions of this property. Unfortunately that was followed up with the hard bed and unbelievably loud air conditioner that could NOT be switched to constant "fan on" position without sacrificing the air conditioning all together.

Buffet breakfast was adequate for my needs. Be sure that you have it included in your room rate or go elsewhere as it is very high priced.
Front desk were polite and friendly. Didn't use the pool.
Fridge in room is at an additional cash surcharge.

Overall this property is a disappointment. I really had higher expectations of the Crowne Plaza brand.

Room Tip: Quiet floor actually delivers the promise of quiet. Check your air conditioner to make sure it work...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Houston Northwest Brookhollow. There are plans to renovate certain areas of the hotel in the near future. I'm glad to hear you found the staff accommodating and I have shared your comments with the team members and stressed that their efforts are being noticed.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This property is right on the Northwest freeway, only minutes of downtown without the downtown prices. It's also strategically located not too far from the Sam Houston Tollway and Loop 610, both of which give you access to all of Houston. Oh — and there are tons of restaurants within two exits, and a barbecue place within walking distance. Not bad!

The rooms are standard Crowne Plaza quality, with a flat-panel TV, a comfortable bed (more pillows, please) and even free wifi! That's a big thing for me in this category of hotel.

Downside: The shower was more of a rainfall than a steady force, and the nozzle wasn't adjustable. Also, the room had some electrical issues. The outlet behind the bed was coming out of the wall. Otherwise, the room was clean, the staff very pleasant and the stay was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a poolside room; your other choices will be looking over the freeway or a bunch of office bu...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
CPNorthwest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Crowne Plaza Northwest Houston. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to host your next trip to Houston.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

The front desk staff were especially helpful and friendly. The are pet friendly which is always a plus for me. The hotel was just really really old. Needs major upgrades. They were repairing the front entrance and you dousing drive through to bring in your bags. You had to park further back and maneuver around the cones and tape.

• Stayed March 2013
CPNorthwest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Houston Brookhollow.
I am glad to hear that you found the front desk staff to be helpful and friendly, I do apologize for any inconvenience while the hotel entrance was being repaired.
Again, thank you for your comments.

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel is old and in bad need of updating. It feels like a 2.5 star struggling to be a 2.0 star.

Upon arrival, I politely established my platinum status and very politely requested an upgrade for the three nights we'd be there, but was informed that no upgrade rooms were available. Now, I know that upgrades are given on an 'as available' basis, but really? Absolutely nothing available for a traveler in the top tier?

When going for walks in the late evening, we noticed that most of the top floor premium rooms were in total darkness. Empty? Not available?

We accepted a standard room but didn't get much sleep due to an overly noisy air conditioning room unit. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and we both developed back pain.

We dealt with this for two nights and then went back to the front desk to ask if there were still no rooms available for an upgrade. I was then told that there was a junior suite and that we could have it immediately because it had been empty the night before. Now, THAT bothered me a lot and I felt that the hotel has a policy that prevents upgrades, even for top tier loyalty members. It's like being top tier with an airline and not being upgraded, while seeing an empty first class cabin. Something stinks here.

The junior suite was nice enough, and the bed was more comfortable, but I don't think the carpet had been cleaned for a very long time. There was a huge stain in the middle of the room that looked like something had been spilled and never cleaned. Dog urine was my first impression and it made me feel ....well....you can imagine. There were many, many other carpet stains too.

The breakfast buffet was nice but perhaps a bit overpriced.

The saving grace of this property in the friendliness of the front desk staff. Mr. Strait was particularly welcoming but I felt that his ability to upgrade a guest is hampered by hotel management policies.

I would hesitate to stay here again, as I have top tier status with 4 different hotel groups and expect a certain level of reward for the money I spend. What management fails to realize is that when you award perks that have been earned, you have a much better chance of getting good reviews and a MUCH better chance of repeat business. How much is that worth?

Room Tip: The 9th floor is the 'quiet floor' and it really was.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Gent47,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. We value you as an IHG Rewards Club Platinum Member and your opinion is very important to us, as it helps us identify areas in need of improvement. We apologize for any inconveniences you have experienced due to the unacceptable level of service received from our hotel staff and if the hotel was not able to honor your request in a timely manner. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will certainly be looked into. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction and we look forward to welcoming you back in an effort to provide you the level of service you expect from Crowne Plaza.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Greenville, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night in August 2013. This hotel is very aged with zero signs of a single renovation. I only stayed one night because I checked out early and went to a near by Hilton. I originally had a 4 night reservation. I am a Platinum member with IHG and Gold with Hilton so I split my stays between the 2 brands.

So, as I write this review. I am rating this property only in comparison to other Crowne Plaza properties (or comparison to other full service hotels).

If I had to rank all Crowne Plaza's that I have stayed in, this would rank towards the bottom of the list. It is simply old and dingy. I was even upgraded to an Executive Room on the 2nd floor. I am actually curious to what the other rooms are like....

So the hotel is old, zero renovations done, and the rooms are very out dated, mattress uncomfortable, and the internet worked but was flaky. All of that combined led to me checking out early.

Now on a positive note for the hotel. The staff is exceptional, everyone I encountered was super friendly and helpful (almost like an Intercontinental). In fact in regards to staff this hotel would rank at the top of the list in comparison to all Crowne Plazas I have ever stayed in. But the property itself is terrible.

Location: there are lots of restaurants near by, so location is okay. The hotel also offers a shuttle to anything within 5 miles. That is a very nice perk.

Recognition of Platinum status: I was upgraded to the executive floor (2nd) and given access to the lounge. However, and as stated previously the rooms weren't an upgrade at all. If they were I would hate to stay in a non-executive room.

I do feel bed writing this review because of the great staff. But simply put this review isn't negative as a result of the staff, it is ownership's fault for not investing in renovations.

All in all, I will not give this hotel another chance. There is another Crowne Plaza in the Galleria area in which I normally stay that is awesome and within the same price range. Unfortunately this hotel is a bad mark on the Crowne Plaza brand (again the condition of the hotel, not the staff).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
CPNorthwest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Houston Brookhollow. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel team members. Our goal is to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
There are plans to renovate the hotel in 2014 and I will update the various social media sites when the details are finalized.
Again, thank you for your feedback.

Hot Springs, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Crown Plaza Hotel on the Northwest Freeway in Houston, and were most happy with the staff and accommodations. We were at a Bowling tournament for the Buzzard club of America and the C.P. was our host hotel. The front desk went above and beyond to make sure all was well with everything.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
CPNorthwest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to the Crowne Plaza Hosuton Brookhollow.
I am very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay at the hotel. The hotel team enjoyed hosting your group. I have past on your comments to the front office staff.
I look forward to hosting your group in 2014.

David Comerota

Been to Crowne Plaza Houston - Brookhollow? Share your experiences!