“some good, some bad” 4 of 5 stars

Omni Houston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Riverway, Houston, TX 77056 (Great Uptown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #36 of 473 Hotels in Houston
NY
“some good, some bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've been traveling to Houston for 20+ years and always thought this was a past-its-prime, Uptown/Galleria hotel that catered to oil guys and hooks in the 80s. That said, I had the chance to stay for free after converting some frequent flier miles on a 2nd tier airline into hotel points, and went for it.
Hotel is renovated and in great shape, and certainly has above-average fittings, decor, and room size. Very courteous staff and a swanky luxury vibe, BUT ....
Why am I paying $16 to self-park and $9.99 for wifi? And another $16 for a half-liter of bottled water?
Moreover, I know I was a "freebie" guest, or at least low on the revenue spectrum, but they gave me a room that was basically adjacent to a convention meeting room off the 2nd floor lobby, while a conference was going on. Big hint then - don't be shocked when I help myself to the pastries, coffee, and bottled water that are on a serving table 10 feet from my door.
It's not that I'm a pilferer or cheap - but when I'm woken up by the sound of dozens of people chatting in the hallway, there should be something in it for me.

Overall - very good stay, nice hotel, good people, and great location. I'll go back - but only if I get a good deal or if someone else is picking up the tab, as I'm sure there are better deals in that neighborhood.

Room Tip: Go high; make sure you are nowhere near a conference meeting room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DanielDelk, Manager at Omni Houston Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your review...we are glad to hear you found our renovated hotel in great shape and that you appreciated our courteous staff and a swanky luxury vibe. We are sorry to hear of the bad aspects you experienced during your stay. We hope that you will choose to join us again in the future and that you sign up for our guest loyalty program in which the wifi is complimentary and you would receive a complimentary morning beverage delivered to your room each morning of your stay among many other great perks. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we do hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Very pleasantly surprised by the nice renovation of this hotel. Great location by the Galleria, Memorial Park and River Oaks. Pool area was pretty and loved the old-growth trees and plants at this hotel. Only negative was that there was a stick pin wedged in the carpet and I cut myself on it as I was getting dressed one night. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
OmniHotelsManager, Manager at Omni Houston Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your review...we appreciate your feedback and we're very glad to hear to hear you'll stay with us again in the future.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our visit this past weekend was definitely a Perfect 10. From check in to check out, we received fantastic service and our room was well-appointed, beautiful, and relaxing. We especially enjoyed our service from Jacob, who provided us with shuttle service to and from dinner at Truluck's on Saturday night, and Amanda at the Mokara Spa on Sunday morning.

We will definitely stay at the Omni Houston Hotel the next time we're in town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OmniHotelsManager, Manager at Omni Houston Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your wonderful weekend getaway at the Omni Houston! We always strive for a perfect 10 and it is always nice to hear from guests who have a perfect 10 experience. We will make sure your review is passed along to Jacob and Amanda as well and look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Houston.
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed here for a conference for work. It was not up to par as far as the other Omni's I have stayed at. It seemed kind of run down, but the rooms were very clean. The location is not the best, but it is in a nice area that seems very safe. There is a nice mall not that far away and it is a resonable distance from the convention center, which is where our conference was.

I wish that you did not have to pay for internet though, that seems kind of silly since you get it for free at much cheaper hotels. The breakfast was amazing and the wait staff was the best!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The staff really make this hotel nothing is too much trouble, they all smile and chat offer suggestions on where to go eat we really couldn't fault them. Rooms are spacious, well decorated with large hd tv coffee making facilities and very comfortable. Great buffet breakfast and large pool area. It is about 5 mins drive to galleria a huge mall and hotel offers free shuttle to anywhere in a 3 mile radius including here which is really helpful. Greeted at chec in with a glass of bubbly and we asked if we could check out an hour later than standard time which was agreed no problem and no charge. Great hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed here several times and have been pleased with my stay every occasion. The staff is always very friendly and courteous upon check in. I have never had any issues with the room, checkout or anything during my stays.

The hotel lobby is very nice and well decorated. There are various chairs and couches around where you can relax and people watch over the pool. It is open with a lot of light inside and makes you feel warm and cozy being there.

Rooms are decent size and well appointed also. Plenty of furniture in them, with all the amenities you could need. There is even a minibar if you are so inclined but beware of the prices. Ouch!!! Bed is nice and comfortable and I have slept great every time I have been here. Bathrooms are good size and shower has great water pressure.

The pool area is also terrific. It can get a bit crowded on the weekends, but during the week it is not bad at all. They have a bar/snack bar there where you can get drinks and adult beverages while you relax by the pool. I spend quite a bit of time at the pool while I am staying. Shade is a premium here though so go early if possible to stake out your spot.

Fitness center is also great. Plenty of machines to keep you busy. Walking on the treadmills also allows you too look out onto the pool and pond area. A nice distraction while you are working out. They also have nice cold lemon water there for you to enjoy after your work out.

The only downside to this hotel and the reason for the star removal is parking. Unless you valet, you either have to pay to park across from the hotel and a pretty far walk or park in garage and walk even further. I usually park in the garage for free because you are going to be walking anyway so might as well not have to pay to walk. Other than that this hotel is great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel was okay but nothing special about the rooms, though they were clean and well appointed. Staff was very courteous and the party we had there was fantastic. We were especially surprised to see a $9.95 charge to use their Wi-Fi, a fee that is free at most hotels. The $6.00 charge for a bottle of water was almost a joke, though I've seen this at other hotels and it shows what some folks can write off as a business charge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family