“Sold a Priceline PriceLIE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of America's Inn

Save Saved
You added America's Inn to your Saves list
America's Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   8201 Southwest Freeway, Houston Southwest Hwy 59S @ Gessner, Houston, TX 77074   |
Ranked #366 of 451 Hotels in Houston
Arlington, Texas
“Sold a Priceline PriceLIE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Hopefully you were not sold a Priceline PriceLIE like we were; which is what this "2 star" hotel is. So if you booked this hotel through a travel agent or online travel site (i.e. Priceline) you better check your cancellation and refund policy, because booking this place at $1 would not even be worth it.

As soon as you approach the property all sorts of dubious looking characters pop out of the wood works. I sat in my car in front of the lobby doors only to have my car circled by a transient. Then when you enter the lobby you will notice knock off purses and perfumes being sold in the breakfast lobby and at the front desk - you might as well be sleeping at a flea market. Allegedly when I purchased a Priceline Weekend Deal I was led to believe that I would be staying at a 2 star hotel similar to a Holiday Inn or a LaQuinta. Just because this hotel used to be a LaQuinta does not make it comparable to a LaQuinta. LaQuinta actually has standards and customer service. America's Inn has neither!

The exterior of this alleged 2 star hotel was littered with trash. The screen windows to the room next to us was ripped, paint was chipped and hanging from the bottom of the breezeway above us, the fence separating the hotel from the adjacent properties was collapsed, perhaps by one of the transients that likes to circle people's cars. Inside the room the trim around the ceiling was broken; perhaps due to the weight of the blanket of dust which had collected upon it for goodness knows how long! The bathroom wall had seen better days (probably when it was a real LaQuinta) and the bathroom door apparently had been punched through previously by an angry customer (who can blame them?!) Near the drain of the bathtub there was a large rust stain, at least I hope that's what it was because this bathtub probably hasn't been cleaned properly since the hotel became an America's Inn.

Due to the safety risks and health hazards that this hotel posed my husband and I decided it was in our family's best interest not to stay the night. When he went to the front desk to inform the clerk that we would not be staying she became combative with him. He reminded her of a paper he had signed when we checked in, which she acknowledged she had until he asked her for an exact copy of (with his signature) which all of a sudden "disappeared" when he asked for it and subsequently wouldn't be found until the next morning when a manager would be on duty. She didn't seem to grasp the idea that we would be driving 4 hours back home and would not be making a return trip just to speak with the manager.

My advice, as per the advice of a previous reviewer, RUN! Run to the nearest LaQuinta (right up I-69) or to the nearest Holiday Inn and spend the extra money if you have to to stay in a hotel that isn't a health or safety hazard and is operated by a company which has customer service standards! If the idea of sleeping in a dilapidated flea-market frequented by transients delights you, then by all means book yourself a room at America's Inn. Better yet, just wait until you arrive to Houston to book yourself a place, you're more likely to find a cleaner and safer place at a better price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed here many times over the past 2 years and the things that keep me coming back are the convenient location, the price, the employees and the condition of the rooms. Now, this is nothing even near fancy, but everything has always worked. I've never had problems with other people, bugs or feeling unsafe. I even walked to the convenience store one night. Denny's practically shares a parking lot, but the rest of the area is office buildings and a few businesses. Right off of 59 and just minutes from restaurants, shopping, Sugar Land and downtown. Breakfast is cereal, muffins, juice and coffee, basically, and in a small area next to the lobby. Ice machine didn't work this time, but has in the past. The front desk and the housekeepers have always been friendly and efficient. My stay here usually covers about 10-12 hours, 9 of which I sleep, so it's more than sufficient. I will most likely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This place is not worth it, do not spend your money. I'm disappointed with my overall stay. The carpet in my room was spongy wet. The atmosphere was unsafe. I felt like I had to sleep with one eye open. I witnessed random people walking around, people hanging out smoking illegal substances. I asked for a nonsmoking room, I ended up with a room that was smelled of smoke. I don't not recommend this hotel to anyone not even for a one night stay. It is not worth your money, time, or safety.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I travel to Houston a lot, and I make a point of staying in $50-and-under hotels. Independently-owned America's Inn is better than most in that range, especially compared to some in the southwest part of town. I am a repeat customer so that should tell you something. The lobby is attractive, the rooms are clean though nothing fancy, and the staff is friendly.

The complimentary breakfast is coffee, juice, cereal, and muffins, which is about par for the course at this price range. If you want more, Denny's is right next door. The pillows were kind of flat and lumpy. I happen to like rough washcloths, so that was fine for me. The AC worked fine. My toilet leaked all night and flooded the bathroom floor, but that kind of thing can happen anywhere, and they were quick to fix it when I reported it. The TV is the old tube style.

The hotel is on the northbound Southwest 59 feeder, and if you understand how Houston feeders work you shouldn't have a problem getting to it. Despite its proximity to the freeway, I didn't notice road noise. At one time, the neighborhood was a little dodgy, but it seems to have cleaned up its act since my first stay. The hotel has a night guard on duty.

My only complaint is the WiFi. As a network engineer I depend on decent WiFi, but theirs seems to be a bunch of Linksys routers daisy-chained together, connected to a Cbeyond T-1 which means you're sharing 1.5 Mbps with all the other guests plus whatever voice bandwidth their phone system demands. Months ago they told me they were upgrading to Comcast but that never happened. I've offered them free network consultation but I never hear back from the manager. I guess it's not a priority for them.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed a year ago and it was ok. Stayed a Friday night recently and it was even better! Clerk was friendly and fast to check us in and out. Didn't try breakfast. Denny's is next door. Arrived around 8pm and was able to park in front of our room door. Room was a nice size. Kind bed was clean and comfortable with flat, thin pillows. Paint looked good, carpet vaccuumed, tile in bathroom area mopped and all of the appliances (micro, medium-sized fridge, coffee maker, tv) were clean and worked fine. Wifi good. Had a table with 2 mismatched chairs, a dresser, a reclining chair, 2 nightstands, 4 lamps and a closet. All were fine. Nothing modern. Shower was ok, but the plumbing was loud in the walls. Slept without noise in Room 112. Only negatives were rough towels, weak shower pressure and loud pipes. With the price, location and cleanliness...we will stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed one night beginning of august 2012.
Good Points: Clean, Wifi, breakfast (ish- see below), one of the more secure parking we have come across, especially if you are round the back of the building. noise was minimal, fridge and microwave in room. cheap- only cost $50 inc tax, per night in peak season.

Bad Points: the lifts were not working, which is a problem when your on the second floor with multiple suitcases. the bedding was outdated (but clean). the room was a good size (we had a king room), old style tv, breakfast was unimpressive, no toaster, just an oven style grill to do your toast on (also if you use this be very careful, no glove to remove tray and get toast when done, even covered my hand with my sleeve doubled over and still burnt myself), no yoghurts, fruit and only two options of cereal.

overall it was a okay place to stop the night, wouldnt have been very happy if we had been there for a week or so, but for a night or 2 stop over it is suitable and clean (which personally is the most important thing).

Room Tip: lower floors if lifts are not working still, and round the back of the building for safer parking.