“Great aristocratic home” 4 of 5 stars

3410 Montrose Blvd., Houston, TX 77006 (Neartown/ Montrose)   |
Ruidoso
“Great aristocratic home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed four nights here. I was worried about previous poor TA reviews but we found the stay really wonderful at this hotel which is the former home of Humble oil company founder, Wiiliam Fondren. The 1923 era built house is well decorated and has a lot of great art on the walls, we found the bar and restaurant to be excellent as was service from day one. Our only complaint was that our room (named "Degas") was a little cool as the rooms are not individually temp controled. The bathroom had a crack in the glass on the shower door and the wash basin needs to be refinished. Other than those minor issues, we loved the room and the hotel overall.

You cant beat the location and the staff was VERY ATTENTATIVE to us during our whole stay. The restaurant in the hotel was a nice experience and was NOT OVERPRICED. bedding in the hotel and private parking was excellent. We found the comfort and the value to be well worth expense.

• Stayed February 2012

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012 via mobile

Magnificent rooms that have been left to decay. The baths and sinks are chipped and discolored. They were too awful to use. Some staff were nice, but not all. No breakfast facilities, not even a coffee jug and pastry. "Go to Starbucks" I was told. No proper front desk. Poor keys and locks. This place could be transformed by a loving owner. Until that happens, avoid.

• Stayed February 2012
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I did not stay at the hotel, but dined at their restaurant, Cinq. I had heard that the restaurant was extremely nice, but my boyfriend and i were really disappointed. It was not busy at all, and this was a Saturday night. We were seated in the back (not that we care), we would have given this the reason as to why our service was so poor, but like i said, it was slow, so that could not have been the reason.

It took a good 10 minutes before someone came by for our drink order and then another 10 minutes before we received them. We ordered off the restaurant week menu (which should be no less quality than the regular menu) and both our appetizers and entrées were lackluster.

My boyfriend had the seafood ceviche, which should be renamed baby octopus ceviche...there were exactly 2 shrimps in the entire thing, it was merely ok. I had the tomato gazpacho, nothing special, just ok. The entrées were shrimp étoufée and a pork chop. The pork chop was good, but nothing out of this world amazing that i couldn't have cooked in my own house. The shrimp étoufée on the other had was just bad. It tasted like a reheated frozen meal. Really disappointing. No one even came to see if we were happy with our meals, i'm pretty sure we only saw our waiter 3 times. I will say that the desserts were excellent; key lime pie with chili powder mousse and bread pudding; really very good.

As far as nice restaurants go in Houston, I'd say skip Cinq and explore the many other options around the city.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

I can't review the hotel, but we did dine at their Restaurant CINQ. It was a week night and didn't seem that busy. We started out by ordering some good wine and immediately got the attention of a manager, who waited on us for the remainder of our meal. We received wonderful service. I enjoyed my meal except for some slightly chewy octopus that we tried on on the manager's recommendation. Lobster bisque was delicious. I would go again on my next visit to Houston. I've eaten in better restaurants, but this is pretty good. I love the way they turned a gorgeous old house into a hotel & restaurant.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

My husband and I went to this hotel's restaurant to celebrate Valentine's Day. The waiter was impatient and rude. He behaved as if we were the ones to thank him for being at the restaurant. Unfortunately, the atmosphere did not change throughout the evening, the service continued inattentive and the food came cold. We were disappointed that a restaurant of that reputation was unable to deliver a good ambiance, and plates that were presented, and tasted, merely ordinary.

Stayed February 2009
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2005

I went to an auction a while back ago and paid $300 for a $500 value gift certificate to stay in one of the "villas" at La Colombe D'or.What a disappointment it turned out to be! The décor was horrendous, the room was dirty and the service…. What service? First of all, it seems like Stevie Wonder put the room together, nothing matched and everything was old and cheap (you should have seen the carpet, priceless). There was a smashed mosquito on the wall with blood all around it, some take-out food left in the freezer by a former guest, no ice bucket and the soap in the bathroom was still in its plastic bottle from the store! The patio was pretty amazing as well. Most of the plants were dead, and the ones still alive looked like they wanted to commit suicide, any 5-year-old kid would do a better job with the landscaping. In conclusion, save your money and go to the Hotel Derek or the Doubletree.

• Stayed October 2005
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2005

This restaurant is spectacular. The food, the art, the way they greet you when you first walk in, the flowers. My husband and i were celebrating our 5 year anniversary and we were very happy with everything. We have been back twice and truly have enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to La Colombe D'or? Share your experiences!