“Review for Restaurant CINQ” 4 of 5 stars

La Colombe D'or
La Colombe D'or
3410 Montrose Blvd., Houston, TX 77006 (Neartown/ Montrose)   |
Fort Worth, TX
“Review for Restaurant CINQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

I can't review the hotel, but we did dine at their Restaurant CINQ. It was a week night and didn't seem that busy. We started out by ordering some good wine and immediately got the attention of a manager, who waited on us for the remainder of our meal. We received wonderful service. I enjoyed my meal except for some slightly chewy octopus that we tried on on the manager's recommendation. Lobster bisque was delicious. I would go again on my next visit to Houston. I've eaten in better restaurants, but this is pretty good. I love the way they turned a gorgeous old house into a hotel & restaurant.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

My husband and I went to this hotel's restaurant to celebrate Valentine's Day. The waiter was impatient and rude. He behaved as if we were the ones to thank him for being at the restaurant. Unfortunately, the atmosphere did not change throughout the evening, the service continued inattentive and the food came cold. We were disappointed that a restaurant of that reputation was unable to deliver a good ambiance, and plates that were presented, and tasted, merely ordinary.

Stayed February 2009
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2005

I went to an auction a while back ago and paid $300 for a $500 value gift certificate to stay in one of the "villas" at La Colombe D'or.What a disappointment it turned out to be! The décor was horrendous, the room was dirty and the service…. What service? First of all, it seems like Stevie Wonder put the room together, nothing matched and everything was old and cheap (you should have seen the carpet, priceless). There was a smashed mosquito on the wall with blood all around it, some take-out food left in the freezer by a former guest, no ice bucket and the soap in the bathroom was still in its plastic bottle from the store! The patio was pretty amazing as well. Most of the plants were dead, and the ones still alive looked like they wanted to commit suicide, any 5-year-old kid would do a better job with the landscaping. In conclusion, save your money and go to the Hotel Derek or the Doubletree.

• Stayed October 2005
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2005

This restaurant is spectacular. The food, the art, the way they greet you when you first walk in, the flowers. My husband and i were celebrating our 5 year anniversary and we were very happy with everything. We have been back twice and truly have enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed January 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2004

This is a beautiful building in body but not in soul. The decor and furnishings are consitent with $300 per night lodgings. But sadly, the service is oh so poor. Permit me to elaborate ... the staff are more than a little rude ... they are extremely rude ... and did I mention arrogant? In my humble opinion, they need to enrol at charm school and, Mr Z - the manager/owner, you can do better. You know that you can.
There are simply too many fine hotels in Space City to have to tolerate this beautiful building masquerading as a hotel.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2004

Lovely hotel but there customer service is non existent. I have also experienced being out late and not being able to gain entrance to the hotel, as nobody will answer the door. I would suggest a new locking system that your room key card will allow entrance into the side door of the hotel. They are very rude if they do answer to allow you to come in. A few years ago I had to flag down a Houston police officer to awaken the Hotel staff to gain entry. The hotel itself is stunning and I would like to stay there in the future if they change there lock system, and there customer service!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2004

Ownership and management are unthical, greedy, and non-service oriented.A friend gifted us one night at the establishment....our wedding night. My husband went throught the trouble of checking in early, and placing champagne in the room for our arrival after the wedding party. He was given a key to the room. After our wedding, we were exhausted and naturally couldn't wait to get to our room. We arrived at the Colombe D'or and rang the bell at the front door, no one was there. We rang the bell for 40 minutes. Althought the light was on inside, it seems the employee had slipped out for a nap or something. We went to every door of the building trying to get in or at least get someones attention. We then had to find another hotel. We picked a room in the same price range at the Four Seasons. The next day we went to the Colombe D'Or, asked for reimbursment of the night we had paid for at the Four Seasons and a credit to my friend's account for the room that was not slept in. We were treated poorly and management was not willing to right their wrong. They reimbursed us for the Four Seasons, just barely but would not reimburse the night at the Colombe D'or. This was unheard of. These people are disgusting and I will never ever step foot in this place or their bar, Zimm's ever again.

Been to La Colombe D'or? Share your experiences!