“Oh no, HVAC slow to respond!” 3 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #100 of 468 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Durham, North Carolina
“Oh no, HVAC slow to respond!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Disclaimer: Our room was paid with a free night certificate, so zero dollars out of pocket.

Room value price: $120 - $200. (What I would expect to pay for this room. Actual rate determined by hotel.)

My partner and I enjoyed our quick one night stay at the JW Marriott Houston, except that the AC was never able to properly cool the room. We prefer a chilly room to sleep in but the central system was unable to meet our demand. At check in, the desk clerk comped our soda and snack due to a delay. FYI - this hotel, due to the branding, and the Galleria Mall across the street, attracts many non US guests.

Our room was very clean and quiet, and no complaints about the bath area.

Green Features: They must be saving money on air conditioning since the room never really cooled off properly.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
I am so sorry to hear that we fell short of your expectations as it relates to the room temperature. I am going to reach out to you directly so I can get the room number you were in and have our engineering staff check it out thoroughly.

I know it was a quick stay but I hope you enjoyed your time in Houston and will return soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

The JW is our hotel of choice in Houston. It is located near all our favorite shipping haunts. Located across the street from the Galleria.

The rooms are clean, quiet and very comfortable. The bath tubs are too shallow, but that is most hotels.

Normally, I travel with an egg crate to help my back from hotel beds, but the JW has very comfortable mattresses.

The breakfast buffet has all the variety needed for a good start to the day. The Belgium waffles are my favorite.

We travel with electric scooters and the valet staff are always so helpful. When we travel alone, this help is invaluable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and staff! We feel honored to be your hotel of choice and plan on continuing to earn that designation! I will make sure to let our valet staff know of your appreciation. We look forward to having you as our guest again real soon.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Nice hotel, very friendly staff and nice large rooms. The pool was a bit smaller than I was expecting but the overall size of the fitness centre made up for it. Friendly shuttle takes you to nearby restaurants and having a Starbucks in the lobby is always a nice convenience.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Your complimentary review is most appreciated! I will pass along your nice comments about our staff and will make sure that they are posted for our staff to enjoy. I hope that your travels will bring your back to the JW soon.

Thanks again for your positive comments!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I loved the location, I did not need a car with everything in walking distance. The Galleria Mall is easy to get to as well as many restaurants. I read many reviews expressing that this hotel is not up to the JW Marriott standard and I would agree. However, it was nice and the price is very reasonable. The staff is great for both checking in and the restaurant/ lounge on the first floor. The restrooms were a bit small and dated but very clean.

Quick Tips: If you want to walk to the Galleria use the Saks Fifth Ave entrance as the location across from the hotel is under construction. You can walk to plenty of restaurants..even in heels..seriously they are all so close.
The elevators are quite loud, make sure you ask for a room away from those.. The coffee pot is there, it is hidden under the TV.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to highlight the benefits of our hotel and pointing out the service from our staff and the cleanliness of the room.

We hope that you will return to see our renovated rooms and the new layouts of our bathrooms in the Fall. We are in the final stages of finishing the model room and you can already see what a difference there will be in the new open design of the bathrooms .I think that you will be pleased with the results ande they will be in line with your expectation.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you at the JW again when you visit Houston!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I must admit I was a bit hesitate to book this hotel due to previous reviews but it was completely the opposite. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is close to shopping and restaurants they also provide complimentary car service to areas near the hotel I would definitely choose this hotel again. The room was clean and very comfortable they have a restaurant on site gym and pool.

• Stayed January 2014
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your post! We always love to hear that we have exceeded someone's expectations. And we appreciate your reference to our service being "great"! I will certainly pass this on to our team of associates. Your review is a "great" start for the new year.

We hope that you will be back soon to stay with us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just returned from a great weekend at the JW. The entire staff was welcoming and friendly, from the front desk to the restaurant and bar. Everyone we encountered went above and beyond to make sure our stay was an enjoyable one. It was our anniversary, and upon arriving in our room we had champagne and strawberries waiting for us (thanks Harold)! I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you Laura for recognizing our staff and especially Harold! We believe the strength of our brand lies in listening to our customers and designing a personalized and crafted experience through all kinds of thoughtful gestures just like the one that Harold did for you. We hope that you all we make the JW Houston part of your annual celebration for years to come!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I live in Houston and like to get away from the house every once in a while. This last visit was a little lacking in the customer service than usual. I was missing a room service menu in my room and when I contacted the front desk they said it would be up in 5 minutes, however it took 2 phone calls and 30 minutes to get a menu. By this time I was already annoyed, but still ordered and the food as always was very good! Beside this everything was amazing as usual and I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Get the galleria facing rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thnk you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay in October 2013. I am dissapointed to learn that it took such a painfully long time to receive the room service menu you requested. We have set response times for requests and this certainly was way out of that range. I have shared your review with our staff and discussed the standard response time as well as reiterated our escalation process when a guest is waiting for any item. No one should have to wait.

I appreciate your words of praise for our food and beverage quality. I will pass this along to our Chef and his team.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you and restore your faith in our ability to deliver a quick customer response just have you experienced on past visits!

Been to JW Marriott Houston? Share your experiences!