“Great Hotel for Business Travelers” 5 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #98 of 468 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Hotel for Business Travelers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stay at this hotel frequently for business and I always feel welcome. The rooms are always clean and the beds are quite comfortable. The folks in the concierge lounge are always welcoming and accommodating.

Also, I love their room service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive review of our hotel! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Bergen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Unbelievable, no free WIFI in the rooms. Did expect that any longer. Yes, free Wi-Fi in reception, but still, not good enough. Rest of the hotel is just another standard Marriott, nothing special and would need a proper refurbishment soon. Fitness centre has too few running mills, so they are all occupied in the mornings. The breakfast is ok.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation during your recent visit to our hotel. We continually monitor the market for all of our hotel services and offerings including internet to ensure our hotel is competitive among the hotels in our full service tier. In September we also upgraded the internet infrastructure and bandwidth in order to offer our guests the best connectivity and speed.

In summer of 2014 we are excited to share that not only will we be doing a renovation of all our guest rooms, we are also remodeling the fitness center and pool area. This will include replacing adding additional cardio equipment.

Thank you again for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know what is important to you and how we can improve for all our guests.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed at the JW this past weekend as I gotten this bundled with my flight from Expedia. I've stayed in other Marriott properties but this might beat them. Upon enterting there is the lobby that was very spacious and well lit. The concerige desk was to the immediate right and check in desk a lil further.
I had gotten a room on the 4th floor but I asked if there was one closer to elevator banks which they did on the 5th. The staff who checked me in was Steven and made mention where the smoking area was. Thank ya Steven from Steven..
Upon entering the room I saw how large it was. There was 2 bottles of complimentary water in the room. Closet had ironing board..iron..extra pillow ..and odd..extra toilet paper roll...as well as a nice bathrobe.
Tv was not hd...large..but it didn't matter as you don't do much tv watchin while on vacation. There was a panal to the tv on the side of cabinet which u can connect ur camcorder or computer to it..if i recall. Small couch in room over by wall..decent size workdesk but chair seemed a bit frayed. The chocolate on bed was nice.
The bathroom..yes it was small...still it could been better with a heat lamp that most hotels have. Also sadly there was hardly hot water in those days I was there...there was warm but not hot..
There's a hidden coffee maker INSIDE the tv cabinet and what may have been a small frig that has been removed.
The bed..It felt firm and I slept pretty good.
There's an onsite restaurant and Starbucks...I didn't partake either.
There's a really great gym on 5th floor..an indoor outdoor pool ..a whirlpool close by...a free weights section also connects you to a sauna room nearby. The outside pool is nice to lounge around at.

Smoking is outside to the doorway leading to where valet cars are driven to and fro the lot. That same smoking area must be a wind tunnel as I at times had wicked time lighting up.

Still I loved my time there and the price while a tad high in my opinion and small bathroom w tepid warm water...I would do it again.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you so much for your review and highlighting some of the strengths of our hotel experience. I really appreciate your calling to our attention the issue you experienced with the water not warming appropriately. We have investigated the issue and did increase the temperature setting as a result.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you on your next visit to Houston!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is great, definitely my favorite to stay in Houston. I used to stay at the JW every week, where the front desk staff remembered my name, and would make conversation (for example, getting back on a Monday they'd ask me about my specific weekend plans, which we talked about the prior week). The staff in the concierge lounge was fantastic and very attentive. Again, these staff members learned my name, and we'd chat every week.
As far as the hotel itself, it could use a little bit of a makeover in some areas where you can tell it is dated.
This hotel has the best gym I've ever seen inside a hotel. I know they have some local people that pay monthly just to use the gym (if that tells you anything about the quality). The gym is always clean, always has staff available.. and even has a half court basketball court (not the best quality floor though) and a squash court (which I didn't use).
Even though I was a business traveler, I'd say this hotel is also great for families. The pool is a swim in/swim out pool (swim under the divider to enter/exit the building) and has a great pool deck for hanging out during the day.
Will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Wow! Thank you Paul for writing such an exceptional review. I want you to know that I printed this out and read it to our entire front office team. It so perfectly captures exactly how we want each and every guest to feel. So many of our visitors are here for business and stay with us often and we strive to ensure that being at the JW feels warm and comfortable as if they were staying with friends.

Thank you also for pointing out some of our prized amenities! We are proud to have these to offer our guests.

We hope to see you again real soon and catch up with you.
Lake Charles, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here this past weekend for a mother-daughter shopping trip to the Galleria. Great location on Westheimer with a very fast valet service! Had breakfast on the second floor and the food was pretty good, but the hostess was SO friendly! That's refreshing, especially for a hotel! The bed and comforter were not the best I've ever experienced, but I'm picky when it concerns my sleeping situation! I would stay here again though due to the excellent service!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you Carolyn for recognizing our staff! We are very lucky to have such a great team delivering personal and warm service in South Coast Grill. We also take pride in extending a big "Texas" welcome on the front drive from all our valet staff. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and found our location convenient for all your shopping needs. Please come see us again soon.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed here while on Business this week. The Hotel was a good choice for the quick business trip to Houston. The Hotel is orientated for the business man. Great rooms, good service and nice bar for business conversations.

Room Tip: Go for the elite room with breakfast included
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed at the JW Marriott Houston by the Galleria for one night in September. The hotel is very nicely kept, although the property itself is not up to the standards of other JW Marriott. I guess when the new JW Marriott in downtown will be ready, this will be downgraded to a lower class.
The staff, from front desk to valet are really amazing. Staff is probably the best part of any Marriott stay. In general I don't like the décor of Marriott hotels, but this is obviously a very personal matter. Good hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you so much for recognizing our staff in your review. We are very proud of their committment to our guests and it means so much that you have taken the time to share it with our online community. Rest assured that we will also share it with all our associates.

You also mentioned that your felt the hotel was not up to the JW standard as far as the look and feel. I am excited to let you know that we will be updating the rooms early next summer with a 23 million dollar investment that will be sure to appeal to our JW loyal guests. Until then just as you mentioned we will ensure that our guest rooms, as well as the rest of the building continues to be well maintained and that every guest receives an authentic and intuitve service experience. Thank you and we look forward to having you visit again soon.

Been to JW Marriott Houston? Share your experiences!