“Take earplugs!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Houston

You added Hyatt Regency Houston to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Houston
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Louisiana Street, In the Center of Downtown, Houston, TX 77002 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #124 of 457 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Banchory, United Kingdom
“Take earplugs!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

I was staying in Houston for 2 weeks through business. I picked the Hyatt Regency because of the close proximity to my work’s office and because the reviews looked OK.
Check-in was OK, if a little rushed. I asked if my room was a quiet one, since I’d read the reviews about it being noisy and I was there for 2 weeks after all. The guy assured me it was away from the elevators and I wouldn’t be disturbed. However, I don’t think there is a room where you won’t be disturbed at this hotel! The senseless design of the place means it has an open cocktail bar slap bang in the foyer with all the rooms built around this, overlooking the bar. Even though I was on the 20th floor, this still meant unbelievable levels of noise rising from the bar and lobby. Lucky I bought ear plugs.
The room itself was OK. I travel quite extensively for business and always stay in similar spec hotels. I was particularly looking forward to this one, thinking a US hotel in Downtown Houston would be superb. The size was fine, but I’ve stayed in bigger. My room has 2 double beds – which meant 2 tiny double beds. There was a TV which took a while to find the TV channels, due to the menu trying to charge you for movies and so on before you are able to scroll right down to the bottom to find the TV channels. I was very disappointed there was no minibar or fridge. For me to stay here for 2 weeks made it very inconvenient if I fancied a beer, and meant I had to either hang out in the bar as a lone female or order room service with an hour’s wait, extra $3.50 + 19% additional charge for the privilege. There was a vending machine on the floor for soft drinks which took single dollar bills only – again inconvenient if you didn’t have any.
The bed itself was so comfortable, I would drift off to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow most nights (providing I’d put my ear plugs in first). It was possibly the best thing about the hotel. Best nights’ sleep I’ve had in years!
The room was kept clean to a very high standard. The cleaner would always remember how I liked the bed (with all the excess pillows off) and never failed to top up the bathroom toiletries and refresh the towels.
The shower in the bathroom was great – very nice, comfortable hot shower, with no problems. Bathroom toiletries include shampoo, conditioner, soap, body lotion, toothpaste and shower cap. (I don’t recommend the shampoo and conditioner – it made my hair all fluffy). The towels were a bit thin looking – not fluffy ones that you would expect. However I was very pleased to see 2 washcloths – something hotels recently seem to miss out, and that I always use.
Service in general was mixed. The doormen were great – very helpful. Concierge were brisk but efficient (I was pleased to receive a little card directing me to a nearby jogging trail when I asked at guest services). Reception staff at breakfast were lovely, and remembered me every morning. The waiting staff were hit and miss – sometimes very helpful, other times couldn’t be bothered.
The gym or leisure centre was ridiculous. It is well equipped with decent treadmills and other machines, weights etc but there was NO air con! I find this astounding, especially so in a place like Houston where it gets very hot. There was about 4 fans, every time I went in they were unplugged and facing the wall, and I couldn’t reach them to plug them in. I called concierge twice to have someone come down and do it for me – the place was baking hot and very busy. No changing facilities either which I found disappointing as no one wants to go back into a crowded elevator a sweaty mess. However there was free drinking water and a fridge full of damp cool towels. Whether they were there to clean the machines after you’d finished or to cool you down I couldn’t make out, but I had to use them to cool down anyway. The whole place was grey, drab and shabby.
Apart from breakfast and the pizza I ordered on the first night, the food was not very good. I had room service and ate in the bar several times and it was either swimming in grease or ingredients missing. Breakfast was just fantastic. I tried the Belgian waffles one morning and they melted in my mouth like nothing I’d ever tasted before. Good coffee too.
The menu at breakfast confused me. You would get given a menu, but every time I tried to order from it I was directed up to the buffet where I was told it would be made there. If so, why give me a menu?? Also, I was given a continental breakfast voucher but it wasn’t explained to me what was included so I just had to guess.
There is a shop attached to the hotel lobby, which is heavy on tourist goods and low on food, unless chips and pizza is all you want. The service in the shop was very poor too, although I don’t know if the shop is actually part of the hotel.
The location is great for Downtown Houston and I had a stunning view of the Houston skyline from my room, including those famous Texan sunsets. Every evening I would get back, gasp at the sunset and grapple for my camera.
I was stunned there was a daily charge for wi-fi. Surely a business hotel should have this as standard? Other hotels do. $9.99 per night, and I had to access the internet most nights. Not good for business.
On a general note, I visited Houston last about 15 years ago and remember how welcoming and friendly everyone was, and how outstanding service staff generally were. I was really looking forward to visiting again. I don’t know what has happened in those 15 years – maybe it is the general mistrust of foreigners (as soon as I opened my mouth to speak some people would look annoyed) or something else, it certainly isn’t what it once was. Houston itself is a great city though, with plenty to do, and a great feel to the place.
Sadly, if I were to visit again, I wouldn’t stay at this hotel. Although it is a fairly nice hotel and probably better for shorter stays or for leisure, I was constantly disappointed. I think it is lacking in lots of areas and is just satisfied to rest on its laurels with no foresight for it’s real customers: business travellers.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Metuchen, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

This hotel has a great location, right in the middle of downtown Houston. It's connected to the tunnels in houston, so in the Heat of the summer you never have to go outside. Great for business travel. Also they rooms are recently remodeled, and the bathroom is spectacular.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

Stayed here for 5 nights for business in November 2009. Overall, I'd rate the hotel as average...

The Good:
1) Room appeared to be recently upgraded. Lots of space, flat screen TV, good sized bathroom.
2) Location: Working downtown, this hotel was very conveniently located for getting to work. It is tunnel-connected so you do not need to go outside if the weather is not good.
3) Staff were all very friendly and pleasant to deal with

The Bad:
1) Noise level: The hotel is designed with an "open concept", so the hallways all open to the center and look down to the lobby. This makes for a interesting look, but it is definitely not helpful for noise levels in the rooms. I was on the 16th floor, and every night I could clearly hear noise from the lobby-bar on the 1st floor. It wasn't horrible, but it was still a bit annoying and I imagine it would be worse on lower floors.
2) Elevators seemed unreliable. On the night I checked in, none of the elevators were working, which meant using the freight elevator to get my bags up and then walking down the stairs to get down for dinner. They were fixed by the next day, but it still wasn't great to see them down and have to use a dingy freight elevator to get upstairs.
3) Service in the lobby-bar - On my first night, I decided to go for a "quick" dinner in the lobby-bar. For whatever reason, my food took almost 1.5 hours to get to me, and the restaurant/bar were half empty (it was a Sunday). However, in the hotel's favour, the waitress gave me the whole meal for free without me even asking/complaining which was nice.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

Brand new materials in rooms and hallways. Fresh clean carpets made the hallways bright. Lobby standard but clean. They have a cool coffee area/mini market that has sandwiches, cookies, soup etc. Its nice to have an alternative to a sit down restaurant. The staff is very nice and friendly. The only weakness is location - its 9 blocks from the convention center so while you can walk - if you are in a hurry you will need to take a cab. The cabbies are the WORST. All of them complain that you are not going to the airport and about how long they have waited in the cab line for a fare. Not my problem pal!

Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

I was in this hotel as a conference attendee, four nights. Many positives: satisfactorily working heat and A/C. Excellent, comfy bedding and firm pillows. Early, easy check-in. Flawless room service. Reasonable charge for in-room refrigerator: $25 for a four-day stay,and it was delivered immediately. The problems: Internet vendor is T-Mobile, requiring prepayment and login, bandwidth is acknowledged by hotel as insufficient to serve all users, so speed is generally poor and users are knocked off the system constantly, each time requiring a formal logout before again logging in. Management responds to complaints with standard “sorry” but cannot fix. Room lighting all fluorescent, very low wattage--good for the hotel but bad for reading. Bathroom mirror lighting wrong for attention to face or hair. No bathtub in corner rooms; too small: Undisclosed; didn’t occur to me to ask. Waits of ten minutes or more for elevators at high-traffic times. “Refund” for internet charges, promised to conference attendees, was wrong: only one day was credited. A complaint about this to web check-out help,located at an 866 number in Kentucky, netted: We don’t have anything to do with this, talk to the front desk. When I did, days were credited. The fourth day required a personal checkout at the front desk. Sum: not behavior expected of a 4-star hotel. Requested discussion with manager was polite and I was thanked for the feedback. Conference rate $129, way below rack but way too high for this property.

Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

I came to this hotel with a conference attended by about 600 people. Although this Hyatt was pretty and clean, and the staff were friendly and helpful, it wasn't what you would expect from a Hyatt. Very poor lighting in rooms, especially bathrooms, making makeup application pretty tough. Very low water pressure in shower. Cheap thin towels, like what you expect at a lesser hotel. Horrible broadband - it was extremely difficult to get on, and then it often shut off in the middle. Elevators were extremely slow and there were often long waits. I had a noisy room near the elevator. So, while perhaps they were stretched thin because of the big crowd, I really wouldn't recommend it.

Mpls, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency more than once while doing business in Houston. It is the perfect place to go home to at the end of a long day. The service is excellent, they care about the customers. The rooms are very nice and newly updated...the beds are comfy as can be..it is a great hotel and I will definitely go back!

Patty

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Houston? Share your experiences!